Aaron Brooks selected by O's off the waiver wire

wildcard

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

While I'm inclined to agree with one-L Philip's hot take, you are correct.  There are no clear cut better options.

At the same time, I feel that I've seen enough of these guys to know that...I don't need to see any more of them.  And that if we are going to keep searching for a diamond in the rough like Armstrong could be...well, let's keep searching.

I'm all for trying more waiver wire pickups as they become available and ditching some of these guys, as those opportunities arise.  We've already picked up a ton of guys midseason via waiver wire or trading international cap room we weren't going to use:   Tayler Scott, Brooks, Eshelman, Shepherd, Armstrong, Wojciechowski.   That's 6 different guys we have picked up during this season hoping to find someone.

In fact, they are essentially doing EXACTLY what Philip wants... trying a bunch of different guys, one after those other.   Those 6 we have acquired, plus guys like John Lucas, Evan Phillips, Tanner Scott, Gabriel Ynoa, Dillon Tate, Josh Rogers, Luis Ortiz, Mike Wright.

They are constantly giving guys shots to see if they can succeed and when they don't they are usually either DFA'd or sent back down.   It's just not happening fast enough for Philip.   We've probably made how many moves that involved pitchers going on or off our roster this year?   50?   I mean, I mentioned 14 guys above and many of them have been up and down multiple times.

But I guess Philip won't be happy unless we try 30 different guys and make 100 moves.   We'll do exactly what he asked for, we'll send Brooks down or DFA him and bring up someone like Shepherd or a waiver pickup from another team and give that guy a chance... and when that guy sucks in about three appearances, Philip will be screaming to get rid of this bum and try someone new.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Ok, I will, but the complaint remains valid. I don’t have to know who. There’s about 30 pitchers in the mid-upper minors right now. It is impossible that not one new guy can take the place of Hess, for instance. Remember he doesn’t have to be a budding star. Bring him up, give him 20 innings. Good heavens, we have no one who can duplicate what Scott just did?

Sure, I’ll get you some names, but the point remains valid.

The only thing they can really do is scour the waiver wire and claim guys and hope to find some diamonds in the rough. I think it speaks volume about the state of pitching in the game that a Houston Astros team on pace to win 100+ games has 13 pitchers on their roster right now. Even the Astros need to add extra arms because they are having issues with their starting pitchers eating up enough innings to preserve their bullpen. 

16 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I'm all for trying more waiver wire pickups as they become available and ditching some of these guys, as those opportunities arise.  We've already picked up a ton of guys midseason via waiver wire or trading international cap room we weren't going to use:   Tayler Scott, Brooks, Eshelman, Shepherd, Armstrong, Wojciechowski.   That's 6 different guys we have picked up during this season hoping to find someone.

In fact, they are essentially doing EXACTLY what Philip wants... trying a bunch of different guys, one after those other.   Those 6 we have acquired, plus guys like John Lucas, Evan Phillips, Tanner Scott, Gabriel Ynoa, Dillon Tate, Josh Rogers, Luis Ortiz, Mike Wright.

They are constantly giving guys shots to see if they can succeed and when they don't they are usually either DFA'd or sent back down.   It's just not happening fast enough for Philip.   We've probably made how many moves that involved pitchers going on or off our roster this year?   50?   I mean, I mentioned 14 guys above and many of them have been up and down multiple times.

But I guess Philip won't be happy unless we try 30 different guys and make 100 moves.   We'll do exactly what he asked for, we'll send Brooks down or DFA him and bring up someone like Shepherd or a waiver pickup from another team and give that guy a chance... and when that guy sucks in about three appearances, Philip will be screaming to get rid of this bum and try someone new.

Well said. There are other things to consider as well such as what message that sends to the team. A few bad outings and you're outta here? On a last place team trying to get another 1:1? What about the enormous pressure you'd be putting on new call-ups especially ones being promoted from Bowie? You get two of three chances, buddy! After that, you're gone. That's not even time for the major league coaching staff to even begin to work with them. I'm not sure players would respond well to a coaching staff that is so impatient and intolerant of any player who doesn't develop instantly that they will be gone immediately. This is a baseball team, not the bridge of death.

I'm not denying Scott has been awful, but he DOES have good stuff. Shouldn't the coaches at least get a chance to work with him over a reasonable period of time? Brooks isn't doing himself any favors at all and has literally had years to try to figure it out. I am not so optimistic there. Armstrong has been decent. Eshelman has had more good stretches than bad, but Boston was really his only disaster. When he's in a rhythm, he's good and there is certainly enough there to work with and is certainly not DFA material right now. Wojo seems to be reverting back to his career norms, but has also shown enough to work with and will be around awhile as well. There is absolutely nothing, literally nothing, to lose by having these guys around right now and really only two of them have been awful fairly consistently.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

What I want to do is get rid of David Hess and Brooks and Phillips and a few other guys. Don’t you? When they send Hess down and bring him right back up, I think “why? Why not bring up someone else?” Because you have to DFA Hess? So what? He’ll get claimed or not. Probably not. We have the rosy team in MLB. Who cares if he’s claimed?

He’s bad, he’s proven bad, why not bring up somebody else? I dislike strawman arguments and that’s what you’re claiming. I have said, approximately every single time, that I believe everybody should have a chance, but once they’ve had their chance they should go away and somebody else should come up. Who? Anybody. I don’t care, bring up somebody else and give him his 20 innings and then send him away. And maybe he’ll earn another bunch of innings. Armstrong and Means did, but no one else has. That’s the same thing I’ve been saying. And I’ll keep saying it, and it will keep being valid.

I just wish some of the posters on this board would TRY to understand Roster and Player Management.  I also wish that some posters would actually give out Names of players that are to be placed on the Forty/Twenty-Five to start another round of revolving door/shuttle.  Knee Jerk reactions have long been a staple of the un/ill informed.  It kinda gets redundant to read the same garbled illogical garbage day after day when there is no explained alternative.  Atomic like if you will.

o

69% of the outs that Brooks recorded (11 out of 16) came via the Groundout and the Strikeout.

He had a solid Strikes-to-Balls ratio.

16 OUTS: ) 7 Groundouts (Including 2 Double Plays), 2 Strikeouts, 2 Flyouts, 2 Lineouts, 1 Popout

AARON LEE BROOKS ))))))) (vs. RED SOX, 8/16) 

IP:lll5.33

H:llll 8 )) (2 Triples, 3 Doubles, 3 Singles)

R:lllll 5

BB:ll1 ) *

SO:lll2

Pitches: )l 91(60)Strikes, )31 )Balls)

2019 ERA: )l 6.49 )l) 77.67 IP  (56 ER)

2019 WHIP: )l 1.429 )l )  77.67 IP  (111 H/BB)

2019 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .284 ))  (89 for 313) 

* )) Brooks also had 1 Hit Batsman

PITCHES BY INNING

20 ll(14 llStrikes, lll6 llBalls)

71 ll(5llStrikes, lll2 llBalls)

13 ll(71 llStrikes, llll6 llBalls)

26 ll(17 llStrikes, llll9 llBalls)

17 ll(11 llStrikes, llll6 llBalls)

81 ll(6llStrikes, llll2 llBallsl) ) **

** )) Brooks recorded 1 out before departing in the 6th inning.

o

o

This was the 4th time in his last 5 outings in which Brooks has gone at least 5 innings.

Of the 6 Singles that he ceded, 4 of them were infield hits. ) :noidea:

15 OUTS: ) 5 Groundout, 4 Strikeouts, 3 Lineouts, 2 Foulouts, 1 Flyout

AARON LEE BROOKS ))))))) (vs. ROYALS, 8/21) 

IP:lll5

H:llll 7 )) (1 Home Run, 6 Singles)

R:lllll 1

BB:ll1

SO:lll4

Pitches: )l 92(58)Strikes, )34 )Balls)

2019 ERA: )l 6.21 )l) 82.67 IP  (57 ER)

2019 WHIP: )l 1.440 )l )  82.67 IP  (119 H/BB)

2019 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .287 ))  (96 for 335) 

PITCHES BY INNING

14 ll(10 llStrikes, lll4 llBalls)

20 ll(12 llStrikes, lll8 llBalls)

20 ll(13 llStrikes, llll7 llBalls)

18 ll(10 llStrikes, llll8 llBalls)

20 ll(13 llStrikes, llll7 llBalls)

o

o

This was the 5th time in his last 6 outings in which Brooks has gone at least 5 innings.

In his last 2 outings combined, 8 out of the 9 hits that he ceded were Singles (with 5 of them being infield hits.)

18 OUTS: ) 6 Strikeouts, 6 Groundouts, 2 Popouts, 2 Foulouts, 1 Flyout, 1 Lineout

AARON LEE BROOKS ))))))) (vs. NATIONALS, 8/27) 

IP:lll6

H:llll 2 )) (2 Singles)

R:lllll 0

BB:l.1 ) *

SO:lll6

Pitches: )l 98(60)Strikes, )38 )Balls)

2019 ERA: )l 5.79 )l) 88.67 IP  (57 ER)

2019 WHIP: )l 1.376 )l )  88.67 IP  (122 H/BB)

2019 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .276 ))  (98 for 355) 

* )) Brooks also had 1 Hit Batsman

PITCHES BY INNING

23 ll(14 llStrikes, lll91 llBalls)

15 ll(9llStrikes, lll61 llBalls)

11 ll(9llStrikes, lll.21 llBalls)

25 ll(12 llStrikes, ll13 llllBalls)

11 ll(71 llStrikes, llll41 llBalls)

13 ll(91 llStrikes, llll41 llBalls)

o

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Don't think he will last through the winter, but he looked ok today.

1 hour ago, Il BuonO said:

I’m not sure they’ll have better options. Not that he’s good, but it’s pretty slim pickings for pitchers in Charm City lately.

I think the O’s will be assessing who they can fix with their analytic tools, and who is just too far gone.    It will be interesting to see which of the marginal pitchers they keep.   

• Upvote 1