Mancini Drawing Interest

wildcard

30 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You and some others seriously under value Villar. Would he be better as a utility guy on a contending team, sure, but he's been worth 1.0 rWAR which has been affected a lot by him having to play SS when he's really a 2B.

I haven't heard of anything saying Villar is a clubhouse cancer. Saying he's not a good player is pretty off the mark as well.

He's not a heads up base runner and he does seem like one of those guys who's focus can wander in non-competitive games, but the guy is a good defensive second baseman, can steal bases, and is a switch-hitter with pop. He's a solid average major league second basemen, a 50 on the scouting scale.

Cheers .....Already tired of the Villar is a player nobody will trade anything for remarks that are baseless.

I agree with the part about him playing SS and it hurting his WAR. I think Villar is a gritty player and I actually like that he plays will some swagger. I thInk he would ge valuable to a team that needs speed and a improvement over Russell for the Cubs. Or even another team in search of a 2B and a #2 hitter.

I know we won't break the bank but should able to pick up a couple of prospects out of a teams top 25. Especially a team like Chicago that has a poor farm system.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Here's a deal proposal from Fansided .....

Not sure how the writer thinks this is good for the Orioles. I'd be okay with Short but Happ is only a .230 (.770 OPS) at AAA and his clock is already ticking. 

Id be looking for Short plus one of Alzolay/Steele/Abbott and a lottery ticket.

I'm really not sure what the Cubs would do with Mancini. Sure the offense would improve but then they would have perhaps the single worst OF defensively in baseball. Schwarber is at best just average. Heyward is great in RF but below average in CF and Mancini is certainly lacking in RF. Lester would have an aneurysm.

1 minute ago, Tryptamine said:

I'm really not sure what the Cubs would do with Mancini. Sure the offense would improve but then they would have perhaps the single worst OF defensively in baseball. Schwarber is at best just average. Heyward is great in RF but below average in CF and Mancini is certainly lacking in RF. Lester would have an aneurysm.

I was just quoting the writer from Fansided ..... I don't know how it makes sense

The Chicago Cubs could use more production from their outfield going forward. Albert Almora has not become the everyday centerfielder the team hoped he would be. This season, he’s slashing 0.249/0.286/0.396 and a wRC+ of 74. Trey Mancini has been a nice surprise for the Orioles this season, slashing 0.294/0.355/0.523 with 17 home runs and 40 RBI’s.

He’s played 54 games in the outfield and 28 games at first base this season, so the most obvious solution would be to slide Jason Heyward over to centerfield with Mancini manning right field. His versatility also provides solid depth at 1B in the event Rizzo needs a day off or gets injured. He’s also under team control through the 2022 season, which should be mighty attractive if I am the Cubs.

In return, I have the Orioles acquiring shortstop Zack Short and outfielder Ian Happ to assist in their rebuild. Short, 24, is blocked by Javier Baez and everyone under the sun at second base, so he’ll likely need to be moved to get a chance at making a big league roster. He missed a bunch of time earlier this season with a broken hand, but he’s back now.

10 hours ago, atomic said:

I would also note Sisco already has more WAR than Mancini,  So does Alberto and Villar.  As I said before when he was hitting well that he most likely ends up with zero WAR.

This seems more of an indictment of WAR and its positional coefficients than it does of Mancini.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Put Mancini behind the plate for a few games and let's see how much damage he can do.

I remember you defending Sisco's defense, saying that the effect of playing a "disaster catcher" is negligible. I guess you have changed your mind, huh?

4 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

I remember you defending Sisco's defense, saying that the effect of playing a "disaster catcher" is negligible. I guess you have changed your mind, huh?

Nope, I expect Mancini would be a LOT worse than Sisco back there.

I think it takes a lot of talent, skill and hard work to be a poor defensive catcher in the majors.

• Upvote 1

On 7/8/2019 at 4:44 PM, Tony-OH said:

And this is why Santander has begun to get playing time in CF. As good as his defense is in CF, it's not going to overcome his 30 bat.

Hopefully, Santander does well there. Broxton may still have some utility, though. Defensive replacement/4th OF/pinch runner type of player. If he can learn to play competently in right and left, he would certainly have more value off the bench. Martin is another guy whose D and speed might make him useful in similar ways. Maybe they wouldn't even be serving those roles on a competitive team, but we're not that. Even though Keon can't hit, his defense has been top notch lately. Martin, too.

1 hour ago, Cy Bundy said:

From the Cubs we want:

Albertos & Davis.

#7 Davis and #23 Albertos in a terrible farm system (ranked near the bottom would be a terrible deal for Mancini. Honestly if I'm GM a Mancini deal has 3-4 players in it and starts with their only Tier 1 prospect Hoerner. If the answer is no I look for another team! Something like Hoerner, Abbott, Morel, and Riley Thompson

23 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

#7 Davis and #23 Albertos in a terrible farm system (ranked near the bottom would be a terrible deal for Mancini. Honestly if I'm GM a Mancini deal has 3-4 players in it and starts with their only Tier 1 prospect Hoerner. If the answer is no I look for another team! Something like Hoerner, Abbott, Morel, and Riley Thompson

Shortstop Nico Hoerner (the Cubs #1 pick last year) is rated 52nd by MLBPipeline, one rank ahead of Mountcastle. He's performing well at AA with a .282/.358/.494/.852 slash line.  He's an intriguing target, certainly, though I'd be surprised if he would be dealt straight up for Mancini, much less with three others included. 

1 minute ago, Greg Pappas said:

Shortstop Nico Hoerner (the Cubs #1 pick last year) is rated 52nd by MLBPipeline, one rank ahead of Mountcastle. He's performing well at AA with a .282/.358/.494/.852 slash line. IMHO, I'd be surprised if he would be dealt straight up for Mancini, much less with three others included. 

0vfS_so3.jpg

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Shortstop Nico Hoerner (the Cubs #1 pick last year) is rated 52nd by MLBPipeline, one rank ahead of Mountcastle. He's performing well at AA with a .282/.358/.494/.852 slash line.  He's an intriguing target, certainly, though I'd be surprised if he would be dealt straight up for Mancini, much less with three others included. 

The rest of their farm sucks! My point is that you dont trade with them! If they want Mancini bad enough to include Hoerner you do the deal. If not you dont trade Mancini or look for a farm with more talent