MLB investigating Manny trade

twoBshorty

The commissioner's office is investigating the circumstances of Manny's final hours with the Red Sox. The Globe has learned (from a source with direct knowledge of the inquiry) that Bud Selig directed Major League Baseball executive vice president Rob Manfred to contact all parties for an explanation of how things unfolded around last week's trading deadline. According to the source, Manfred has yet to report back to the commissioner.

Here's why Selig's office is looking into the matter:

The Red Sox had an option to retain Ramírez in 2009 for $20 million. They had the same option for 2010. Ramírez, who will turn 37 next season, wanted to be a free agent at the end of this season. His agent wanted the same thing. Boras inherited Ramírez's old contract and stood to earn nothing until Manny signed a new one. It was in the interest of the player and the agent to have the options dropped.

Manny's only leverage was withholding services and playing at half speed. So that's what he did.

Boston Globe

I'll admit to being a bit confused as to what exactly is being investigated here. The blurb does not seem to imply tampering, nor does it suggest that the Red Sox organization did anything wrong. Or the Dodgers or Pirates, for that matter. So are they trying to find out whether or not Manny actually mailed it in and whether Boras had a part in that? How in the world do they expect to prove that and what would they do about it if they did? And if that's not what this is about, then what are they doing?

Hey, MLB! Investigate this!

(posted on another website by someone called "Srul Itza" - because he explains my viewpoint very well)

Manny played in 100 of Boston's 109 games while he was there. Only Dustin Pedrioa played in more, and Youkilis played in as many.

While he was there, he put up a .299/.398/.529/.927 line, good for a 140 OPS+ - better than last year.

Of course, he really started playing at half-speed after the All Star break, when the agitating for a trade really hit high gear, putting up a paltry .351/.467/.622/1.089 line.

Boston Globe

I'll admit to being a bit confused as to what exactly is being investigated here. The blurb does not seem to imply tampering, nor does it suggest that the Red Sox organization did anything wrong. Or the Dodgers or Pirates, for that matter. So are they trying to find out whether or not Manny actually mailed it in and whether Boras had a part in that? How in the world do they expect to prove that and what would they do about it if they did? And if that's not what this is about, then what are they doing?

I am not sure what Butt Selig is having investigated. Did Manny act like a jerk to get out of Boston?? Yes. Is Scott Boras a low life who will stop at nothing to make his clients top $$$. Absolutely. Will anything be accomplished by the investigation?? No. If it is true (the investigation) it is another case of Selig pandering to the mega markets. The real thing to be noted IMO is Boras manipulation of matters to get $$$. Manny is an idiot if he thinks at 37 years old he is going to make a lot more than 20 million $$$ a year. Boras must think the Dodgers will pony up a semi long term deal to keep him or the Yankees, yes the same Yankees who claimed they would not negotiate with him will do a 4 year 80 million $$$ contract. The Red Sox fans who excused all Manny's goofiness over the years as Manny being Manny are now up in arms. I guess that can explained as fans being fans.

Two things for Oriole fans to note.

1. Who will the Yankees pursue. Manny or TEX? Knowing they will be all over pitching, Sabathia and Sheets etc. who will they choose Manny or Tex. Manny is still the better hitter but Tex is the better player and is younger and fits a position need.

2. Boras is scum....another reason to keep young players like Wieters under control as long as possible. Even if it means delaying their arrival a month or so.

Boston Globe

Don't most trades also automatically invoke any option years when a trade occurs? If so, is that standard language in contracts with NTC's or is it something each players works into their contracts. I'm a little ignorant of MLB contracts and such.

It does sound a little odd, that Manny wouldn't want one or both of the $20MM options automatically exercised. $40MM over two years is nothing to sneeze at, even if you are already wealthy beyond your means as I would hope that Manny is (if he's managed his money properly over the years).

If something was done that appears to be shady, I'm sure Boras had nothing to do with it. He's a real stand up guy, ehh? :rolleyes:

(posted on another website by someone called "Srul Itza" - because he explains my viewpoint very well)

Manny played in 100 of Boston's 109 games while he was there. Only Dustin Pedrioa played in more, and Youkilis played in as many.

While he was there, he put up a .299/.398/.529/.927 line, good for a 140 OPS+ - better than last year.

Of course, he really started playing at half-speed after the All Star break, when the agitating for a trade really hit high gear, putting up a paltry .351/.467/.622/1.089 line.

seems like Mr. Ramirez was hitting the ball a bit too well, don't you think?

verrrrryyyy suspicious.

Boston Globe

Manny was doing what is called the Vince Carter. Alienate yourself from your teammates and fans by acting like a jerk and playing for just yourself, so you can be traded where you will be "rejuvenated" by your change of scenery.

Now if it turns up that Boras pushed him into that kinda of mindset, which I doubt b/c he has been doing this for a while now, then Boras needs to loose his ability to represent athletes. I know the NFL bars agents from doing business in their league if something if found that was shady, so the MLB needs to do something if that is the case.

Case closed! I'm so glad he's out of Boston and I can really enjoy his successes. I wish Alex Rodriguez left NY in the off season too.

Archived