I still don't understand why we haven't seen Mason Williams

interloper

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, eddie83 said:

Makes no sense to me. 

Why did they keep him to begin with? Odd. 

I agree Jace was one of the weirder things this season. Seemed to me like he was place-holding for Stewart, but then he stuck once Stewart was up. Then he stuck once Ruiz was back, so he REALLY didn't have a position to play. But he had a good season for Norfolk and I didn't ultimately mind that we gave him some ML time. It's the right time for the DFA now, for sure. 

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

Jace Peterson DFA. This makes a lot of sense to me. 

Well, he didn’t do much with his opportunity.   He was given a reasonable number of starts (23 of 35 games, plus played in 6 others) and put up a .599 OPS after raking at Norfolk for several months.    This isn’t his first rodeo, and it just seems like he can’t hit major league pitching.   

Now watch him go Yaz on us for some other team.

Just now, Frobby said:

Well, he didn’t do much with his opportunity.   He was given a reasonable number of starts (23 of 35 games, plus played in 6 others) and put up a .599 OPS after raking at Norfolk for several months.    This isn’t his first rodeo, and it just seems like he can’t hit major league pitching.   

God bless him if he does. There just isn't a position for him to play anymore on this club. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

God bless him if he does. There just isn't a position for him to play anymore on this club. 

He’s a utility player.    I could argue he’s a better choice for that job than Stevie, but honestly, they’re both so marginal that it’s not worth my breath.   And Stevie’s two years younger and has options remaining.   

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

Did you mean Willie Mays Hayes ???

46 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Lead the league in steals, IIRC.

o

Willie Mays (sans Hayes) did lead the league in steals 4 straight times between 1956 and 1959, while playing for the New York/San Francisco Giants.

Image result for willie Mays stealing base

o

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don't believe anything in AAA this year.  We've seen players with long track records of not hitting put up .850 or .950 OPSes.  We basically have to treat an entire level like it's Colorado Springs.

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

I agree Jace was one of the weirder things this season. Seemed to me like he was place-holding for Stewart, but then he stuck once Stewart was up. Then he stuck once Ruiz was back, so he REALLY didn't have a position to play. But he had a good season for Norfolk and I didn't ultimately mind that we gave him some ML time. It's the right time for the DFA now, for sure. 

Jace had 18 starts in August. 

Williams should have been here a month ago. We carried 2 utility players and no real CF for a month. 

It’s silly I guess on some levels to even talk about all this but it makes no sense to me. 

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He’s a utility player.    I could argue he’s a better choice for that job than Stevie, but honestly, they’re both so marginal that it’s not worth my breath.   And Stevie’s two years younger and has options remaining.   

And Stevie has a 772 OPS vs righties.

I wonder if this means that Stevie will be playing more infield?

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

How many starts will Davis get? 

Good poll question. Sitting first game today. 

Stevie will not be playing as much. I could see some 3rd when Alberto plays 2nd. 

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I certainly hope so! It's getting old playing guys out of position. The fact that they found out he can play an approx. league average CF is pretty cool but the guy dropped an easy fly ball the other day and he can't really hit. You had to at least SEE what Williams brings to the table, if anything, and you lose nothing by doing so. 

Jace was a weird guy to have on the roster with Wilkerson on there plus 4 other infielders. It doesn't matter at all, so it's whatever. Just thought it was odd. I think they thought Villar would be traded and when he wasn't, they just kind of liked having Peterson around for the versatility. 

Archived