What if Mancini/Santander/Núñez are actually this good?

Frobby

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Finisher said:

Two words: juiced ball. Christian fricking Walker has 19 homeruns. Not to totally dismiss what these guys are doing, but you have to take into consideration how wonky this season is shaping up.

This.  Let's see if they can all sustain it, but I have my doubts that all 3 can.  Mancini I think is a good hitter, but not sold on Nunez.  Santander is TBD.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Ahh but I wasn't citing RBIs, I was citing the lack of a RBI.  

C'mon, Can, you're better than that--You know that relies on the same faulty logic.

19 minutes ago, LA2 said:

C'mon, Can, you're better than that--You know that relies on the same faulty logic.

Geez no one is getting my humor today.

Seriously I'm all for discounting rbis but that shouldn't preclude me from mentioning a pretty historically poor offensive season in shorthand fashion.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Geez no one is getting my humor today.

Seriously I'm all for discounting rbis but that shouldn't preclude me from mentioning a pretty historically poor offensive season in shorthand fashion.

The AC (Analytically Correct) shorthand would have been Caleb "13 OPS+" Joseph. That's also pretty historically poor!

17 hours ago, Frobby said:

Mancini .280/.339/.534

Santander .304/.344/.509

Nunez .256/.326/.521

That is really a pretty nice 2/3/4.    Mancini and Núñez have been doing it pretty much all year.    Santander has kind of come out of nowhere, though he looked like he had the potential for this if things went right when we chose him in the Rule 5 draft.    

If this turned out to be about the norm for those three, that would be a decent offensive core to build around.   Santander has shown himself to be a decent defender, too.

DD has to be smiling somewhere. Nunez was a waiver claim. Santander was a rule 5 guy. Mancini was a 6th rd pick. 

16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Mancini was an 8th round pick.  Also, many of the draft picks under DD's regime are having good/breakout years.  Coincidence or maybe a lot of the problem was in development/coaching?

We’re also not promoting anyone. I’m not trying to be a wet blanket, but that matters. I’m not trying to derail this into Elias vs DD. I was just making a joke about DD.

Back go to OP,

I think we have the beginnings of a solid core. Even when you compare it to other teams’ lineups. As of right now, just looking at the lineup, we’re probably in the average category. With that being said, maybe we shouldn’t blow this up even further. Why blow up an average lineup, with potential, just to have a chance at it being slightly better in 2022?  

Add a guy like Tony Kemp for 3rd. Call up Hays and Mountcastle in September. Maybe work on a team friendly 2 year deal with Villar. AR might be ready on June 1st next year. Why play hold back a Catcher?  

At some point we need to find out what we have with everyone. Maybe it doesn’t make sense to tear this down any further. 

35 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I agree with your skepticism but your slash line is a bit off. His OPS is up to about .730.    He really is a nugget, presently. 

He's a good utility guy to have around.  But his OPS+ is 97 and he's hitting .313.  If a few things don't go his way and he hits .270 or .280 he's kind of a drag offensively.  

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I think you're getting carried away.  We might be a pitching staff away from being an average/decent team.  The idea is to build for something bigger.  Your going right back to Peter Angelo's mode.

I agree with this. Although I think it could be wise to hang onto some of the younger guys if we won't get much back. If everything were to hit just right, it's not impossible for us to see some improvement in 2021 if we hung onto some guys. Then maybe with international investment and solid drafting/development, the farm has built up without a lot more trades. Top 5 pick this year and top 5 pick next year. 

The thing with that though, is young pitchers take time to produce. And that's where I would still target 2022 and beyond for something more sustainable, as you are saying. 

BUT, I don't think it's crazy to alter some plans, IF guys are still producing first half next year. The thing about this too is playing the contracts right. That's half the battle. You wouldn't want half of your line up's contract expiring as you're entering contention window. 

Archived