Orioles wOBA: July

Enjoy Terror

Pretty cool! The chart looks great for me, and yes I can click to enlarge.

Easy to see Sisco cooling off.

The funny thing about rolling averages is that sometimes it can look like someone is cooling off or heating even if they are performing steadily-- just that a hot or cold streak from last month is falling out of the 30 day sample. 

2 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I made a chart that will probably not format well for the board here because it's long. I think you can click on it to make it larger. But it says Orioles wOBA on a rolling 30 day calendar, min 50PA, sorted by the average of all 30 days.

What is wOBA? Weighted On-Base Average is designed to measure a player's overall offensive contributions per plate appearance. It is formed from taking the observed run values of various offensive events, dividing by a player's plate appearances, and scaling the result to be on the same scale as on-base percentage. Unlike statistics like OPS, wOBA attempts to assign the proper value for each type of hitting event. Despite having a name more closely resembling OBP (on-base percentage), wOBA is more closely aligned to OPS (on-base plus slugging) because it weights XBH as OPS does.

(what is this, a chart for ants?!)

hx2G7TA.png

Observations: 

• Rio Ruiz was just getting hot right as we optioned him to AAA.
  • After July 7th, we no longer had 13 players with 50PA over the last 30 days-- Keon was traded, and Rio was demoted for the birth of his child... it appears that we aren't playing Martin regularly anymore (he stopped qualifying for the min 50PA requirement). It seems we've consolidated our lineup a little better and getting more regular at-bats to players.

Also, curious: Do you like this chart? Can you read it? I was hoping the colors would make up for the numbers being illegibly small.

I'd be interested in seeing a similar chart with xwOBA. It would be an interesting test to see how the expected matches to the reality and then do them both the next month and see if there is any predictive value in the xwOBA. 

Really good stuff though and interesting to see how far Sisco has slid. I tweeted this out, great job. 

4 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Or maybe how far Ruiz has come?????

Not really. Ruiz had slashed .273/.292/.409/.701 with six Ks and one walk and just two extra base hits over 24 PAs since All-Star break. Basically he got a few more hits but showed the same lack of power. All of his statcast information is below average. 

2 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I made a chart that will probably not format well for the board here because it's long. I think you can click on it to make it larger. But it says Orioles wOBA on a rolling 30 day calendar, min 50PA, sorted by the average of all 30 days.

What is wOBA? Weighted On-Base Average is designed to measure a player's overall offensive contributions per plate appearance. It is formed from taking the observed run values of various offensive events, dividing by a player's plate appearances, and scaling the result to be on the same scale as on-base percentage. Unlike statistics like OPS, wOBA attempts to assign the proper value for each type of hitting event. Despite having a name more closely resembling OBP (on-base percentage), wOBA is more closely aligned to OPS (on-base plus slugging) because it weights XBH as OPS does.

(what is this, a chart for ants?!)

hx2G7TA.png

Observations: 

• Rio Ruiz was just getting hot right as we optioned him to AAA.
  • After July 7th, we no longer had 13 players with 50PA over the last 30 days-- Keon was traded, and Rio was demoted for the birth of his child... it appears that we aren't playing Martin regularly anymore (he stopped qualifying for the min 50PA requirement). It seems we've consolidated our lineup a little better and getting more regular at-bats to players.

Also, curious: Do you like this chart? Can you read it? I was hoping the colors would make up for the numbers being illegibly small.

I'm assuming these are their wOBA's for the month only? Rio's cumulative wOBA is .282, not .351 so I'm assuming this is just where there numbers stood for the month, not for the season, right?

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm assuming these are their wOBA's for the month only? Rio's cumulative wOBA is .282, not .351 so I'm assuming this is just where there numbers stood for the month, not for the season, right?

The first block under July 1 is the wOBA for plate appearances in the previous 30 days (i.e. back to June 2). Under July 2, it’s his wOBA for any PAs between June 3 and July 2. It’s always adding the most recent day and dropping the oldest day.

EDIT: As an example, see Mancini's line and compare it to his game log:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/gamelog/_/id/33351/trey-mancini

Mancini was hitless for 6 straight games and 3-for-33 over the first 9 games July 1-14. His wOBA caught up on this chart right about then to show that he had been really struggling over that 30 day stretch.