Montanez on the bench...again

ChicagoBird

Yes I AM familiar with Jeremy Guthrie. I am also familiar with the fact that Jeremy would not BE a number one starter on a different team.

I love Jeremy Guthrie and am a supporter of him but Luis has not proven anything over AA ball. And even then in his illustrious career he has made had only a couple seasons where he had enough ABs to make it worth anything and be considered good.

Luis is having a great season but there is a reason why the professionals, you know the coaches and scouts et al look at him and project him to be a fourth outfielder.

This isn't Jon Knott, who could have been our starting first baseman, this is a guy people are saying should start so we can get an idea if he should be or fourth outfielder next year.

Hows about we see if he can handle doing THAT, then see if he can start, seeing as how he could never get anything going his entire career over AAA. Hell, Jeremy Guthrie only got his chance in the rotation because of injuries.

People need to stop staining their Levis once a year over the minor league flavor of the month. Speaking of Jon Knott he is batting a solid .182 in the Twins organization now.

Again, what is the downside of playing Montanez as much as possible for the last month or so of the season?

Say he starts at LF/DH for the remainder of the year to get a decent sample size of at bats. Where is the harm?

The guy was once the number 3 overall pick. At one point, he must have shown a pretty high level of potential. Why not see if he's just a late bloomer.

If he starts in LF, Scott goes to DH, Huff goes to 3B or 1B and Millar or Mora sit. If he starts a DH, Huff goes to 3B/1B and Millar or Mora sit. Even if he falls on his face, what have we lost? Millar and Mora lose some at bats? Wuptdo. Millar is a non factor after September anyway, Mora a year after that. Your not sacrificing anything long term by sitting either of those guys.

I cannot think of one solid argument not to play him at LF/DH for the rest of the year and make a fair evaluation regarding his future.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree it is redundant, but so is Montanez not being in the line up as much as possible.

IMO, he should be treated like a possible Guthrie, until he proves that he's not.

I said this yesterday but it bares repeating: Montanez has been up since August 5th and in that span of time, Trembley has found a way to play him in ever single game. The outrage over Trembley playing a guy like a 4th outfielder, when the majority on here believe that will be his role, is ridiculous.

And you are saying our coaching staff is 100% correct all the time? Explain then the benching of Luke Scott vs. LHP and Millar in the cleanup spot when it was clear he was the worst cleanup hitter in baseball.

A lot of the way players are treated is based on reputation. And some don't get a fair shake or are never pushed so they get the reputation they can't do something because they were never allowed to try it IMO. This organization can't afford to go just on reputation. There are too many role players and not enough versitile players. Trembley doesn't let anybody play outside of their role. If he let Huff play 3B and the OF more often or had Mora move around some, this team would be better for it. But he's sticking to roles and not budging from them and it hurts the overall makeup of the team.

Because Trembley clearly favors veteran players. He isn't the right guy to be handling a rebuilding team.

And you are saying our coaching staff is 100% correct all the time? Explain then the benching of Luke Scott vs. LHP and Millar in the cleanup spot when it was clear he was the worst cleanup hitter in baseball.

A lot of the way players are treated is based on reputation. And some don't get a fair shake or are never pushed so they get the reputation they can't do something because they were never allowed to try it IMO.

Last year Kevin responded very nicely in the cleanup spot. Besides you are talking about crap that happened within the first month of the season, last time I checked Millar hasn't batted cleanup since.

He was given a chance, failed to produce and was moved out of it.

And he is a thought guys: Luis was only playing CF when he HAD to in the minors. So maybe, now this is a long-shot opinon here, perhaps there was a REASON for that?

There is a reason why Nick Markakis wasn't a shortstop, but we have never seen him fail at short - HELL by that logic let Montanez play right and move nick to short, how do we know he can;t play it - we have never seen it!

Markakis at short for 09 and Montanez in right START PRINTING PLAYOFF TICKETS!

Every coaching staff makes some questionable roster moves, but this would mean basically most of the minor leagues for three different organizations have been wrong since 2000.

A lot of the way players are treated is based on reputation. And some don't get a fair shake or are never pushed so they get the reputation they can't do something because they were never allowed to try it IMO.

I'm saying our coaching staff knows a hell of a lot better if he can handle CF than you do.

The "play Montanez in CF" argument is only slightly less absurd than the "play Montanez in SS" argument.

Lets just stick to the "play Montanez in LF" argument, because that is at least a valid argument. The people claiming he should be starting everyday at CF or, even worse, SS are clearly delusional.

If he's not getting about 4 starts a week between LF and DH, I'll be upset. But him only getting 2 starts in his first 5 games isn't an indication that he won't be getting those 4 starts a week for the remainder of a season.

I said this yesterday but it bares repeating: Montanez has been up since August 5th and in that span of time, Trembley has found a way to play him in ever single game. The outrage over Trembley playing a guy like a 4th outfielder, when the majority on here believe that will be his role, is ridiculous.

He's shown that he might be more than that though in the minors. Maybe he's even better than Reimold. We have no idea until he gets regular ABs. He's had sporadic ABs here and there and no time in CF or RF.

Markakis could DH for a day and it wouldn't kill him. I'd bench Payton first of course because CF is more important for him to learn but Montanez should get time at all three OF positions with the majority in CF. Luke Scott should also get some time in CF.

Because Trembley clearly favors veteran players. He isn't the right guy to be handling a rebuilding team.

Yeah, all those years in the minor league system dealing with young players and bringing them up. Yeah the fact that most of these players would take a bullett for him. yeah the fact that reports from our people inside the clubhouse saying Trembley has the team wrapped around his finger. Yeah the fact the team is playing better than it has in years.

Yeah, all of that means nothing.

DT has got to go.

Was totally for Guthrie, still am. We had no one better and Guthrie succeeded. But I'm not naive enough to think that he is an "ace" on another team with better pitchers.

The point is this, People keep saying Jay isn't the future, well Luis isn't really the future either. fourth outfielders are a dime a dozen and that is all he will ever be on this team. With Nick, Adam and Luke/ Nolan being the starters (or projected starters) over the next five+ years.

He is a fourth outfielder, play him like one.

First of all Scott is hardly a lock for LF for the next five years. IMO, theres a better argument to be made for Luke Scott being a 4th outfielder on a good team, than there is for him to be a gauranteed lock everyday starter.

Same goes for Reimold. He has a better chance, IMO, but right now he's a lot of hype and alot of injury concern. Far from a sure thing, IMO.

Montanez is most likely never going to be more than a 4th outfielder, I'd agree with that. But there is no way you can say that with 100% certainty without giving him a least a shot. Even at 26, hitting for the triple crown in AA at least deserves a legit shot.

Yes, because Trembley sat Luke Scott vs. LHP for most of the year and batted Millar cleanup for a month and a half when it was clear he couldn't handle it after two weeks. So excuse me if I don't trust his judgement. Payton is the safe choice defensively. Putting Montanez out there might cause him to lose a game in the field. Unfortunately the O's aren't in a pennant race right now, and winning games actuallly hurts us. So this is the time to evaluate guys at different spots. Jay Payton isn't going to be on this team next year if Jones goes down again, so it would be nice to know if Montanez could be a solution if that were to happen. Heck I wouldn't be opposed to see Luke Scott get some time in CF. He's played there before.

Look, basically, Lou has said himself he isn't comfortable out there. When he is, I think he will play some center. Until then, he needs to play most of the time as the LF or DH.

He's shown that he might be more than that though in the minors. Maybe he's even better than Reimold. We have no idea until he gets regular ABs. He's had sporadic ABs here and there and no time in CF or RF.

Markakis could DH for a day and it wouldn't kill him.

But then we'd have to bench Millar, Mora, or Huff. :eek:

;)

More mad about Cintron...He should have been DFA'd after yesterday's game...What a disgusting performance he had.

Imagine what that would do for Montanez and the younger guys confidence.

Cintron played a dreadful game and is DFA'd.

I actually like Trembley putting him out their again. It shows confidence in his players. Also if he mucks it up again out their it gives a larger sample to justify the roster move.

I'm saying our coaching staff knows a hell of a lot better if he can handle CF than you do.

The "play Montanez in CF" argument is only slightly less absurd than the "play Montanez in SS" argument.

Lets just stick to the "play Montanez in LF" argument, because that is at least a valid argument. The people claiming he should be starting everyday at CF or, even worse, SS are clearly delusional.

If he's not getting about 4 starts a week between LF and DH, I'll be upset. But him only getting 2 starts in his first 5 games isn't an indication that he won't be getting those 4 starts a week for the remainder of a season.

As usual Mack, I agree with everything you say here.

First of all Scott is hardly a lock for LF for the next five years. IMO, theres a better argument to be made for Luke Scott being a 4th outfielder on a good team, than there is for him to be a gauranteed lock everyday starter.

Same goes for Reimold. He has a better chance, IMO, but right now he's a lot of hype and alot of injury concern. Far from a sure thing, IMO.

Montanez is most likely never going to be more than a 4th outfielder, I'd agree with that. But there is no way you can say that with 100% certainty without giving him a least a shot. Even at 26, hitting for the triple crown in AA at least deserves a legit shot.

That is why I said PROJECTED. Scott for the next few and the next starter projected after that is Nolan. That is how things look RIGHT NOW.

Right now Luis is a fourth outfielder. Play him as one, that will be his role next year.

I seem to remember the majority of OH people also wanted Guthrie to stay in the pen last year... Believed that was his role even.

If Montanez plays like he was in AA, or plays like someone deserving off the 3rd overall draft pick, it gives the team a multitude of options this offseason to accelerate the rebuilding process. They can even use other pieces than the usual suspects.

Having said that, I believe playing him CF would be a horrible horrible idea.

Archived