The Death March begins

SteveA

August Death March: What will the Orioles' record be?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. How will the Orioles do in the next 22 games, 19 of which are against some of the best teams in MLB?

• 0-22 or 1-21
    • 2-20 or 3-19
    • 4-18
    • 5-17
    • 6-16
    • 7-15
    • 8-14
    • 9-13
    • 10-12
    • 11-11 or better

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/05/19 at 23:45

16 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Yup, the Astros whiffed badly on the Appel and Aiken picks. Their overall #1 draft picks were probably the biggest missteps in the Astros rebuild. 

Aiken turned into Bregman.    Aiken’s problem was a medical one that couldn’t have been detected until he was chosen and the Astros had access to his medicals.     Once they identified the problem they reacted appropriately, only offered Aiken the minimum necessary to preserve their right to compensation if Aiken rejected it, and used their compensatory pick to draft Bregman.    So I’d say that worked out for them in the end.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Aiken turned into Bregman.    Aiken’s problem was a medical one that couldn’t have been detected until he was chosen and the Astros had access to his medicals.     Once they identified the problem they reacted appropriately, only offered Aiken the minimum necessary to preserve their right to compensation if Aiken rejected it, and used their compensatory pick to draft Bregman.    So I’d say that worked out for them in the end.

They offered Aiken more than the minimum.  You would think that people who praise the Astro's rebuild would have actually read Astroball. 

Interestingly the Astro's had a deal with Jacob Nix where if they signed Aiken for $1.5 million less than slot they would use that money to sign Nix. However when Aiken refused to sign they couldn't sign Nix.   Nix has been out with a UCL injury most of this year. 

15 hours ago, Curse of the Bamdino said:

Way I see it, we’ll be getting a very good to outstanding prospect anywhere between 1 and 4, and I’m content with that. Frankly, I’d just as soon avoid the stigma of having 1:1 in consecutive years. Losing to that degree is something that can fester within, and indeed infest, an organization; I don’t want these young, impressionable players we have coming through the pipeline to potentially settle into that mentality. 

Anyway, more on topic: this has been quite a rough stretch, and I readily admit I was wrong; I was among those who voted we’d break even or better. But this was a nice, overall well-played series vs. a team that’s still harboring postseason hopes, so I’ll continue to hope we can spoil as much as we can over this final month and change.

I think Villar, Satander,  Alberto, Harvey, Bundy, Means, Givens and DJ Stewart playing well is more important than the difference between the #1 and #2 pick.  

27 minutes ago, atomic said:

They offered Aiken more than the minimum.  You would think that people who praise the Astro's rebuild would have actually read Astroball. 

I have read Astroball, I simply forgot certain details.   From another article:

Aiken’s MRI evidently looked like the reddest of flags. They reduced their offer to Aiken to around $3.1 million – and it seems possible that they hoped that he wouldn’t accept it.

That $3.1 million figure is revealing: It represents 40 percent of the assigned slot value for this year’s one-one, which happens to be exactly the percentage that the Collective Bargaining Agreement requires a team to offer in order to receive a compensatory pick next year — and an exceedingly valuable one at that, No. 2 overall — if they failed to sign Aiken.   https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.si.com/mlb/2014/07/23/houston-astros-number-one-pick-brady-aiken-inside-story

Then they apparently raised their offer to $5 mm (short of the $6.5 mm they offered before the medical issue came up) as the deadline approached, possibly due to the negative publicity they were receiving.    But ultimately Aiken rejected them and they used the comp pick to get Bregman.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I have read Astroball, I simply forgot certain details.   From another article:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.si.com/mlb/2014/07/23/houston-astros-number-one-pick-brady-aiken-inside-story

Yeah like I said you haven't read Astroball.  Perhaps since you invest so much time in the Orioles you could read it and be better informed.  

• Downvote 8

Just now, atomic said:

Yeah like I said you haven't read Astroball.  Perhaps since you invest so much time in the Orioles you could read it and be better informed.  

Screw off.   I said that I have read Astroball.    Are you calling me a liar?   

2 hours ago, atomic said:

They went 1 for 3 with those picks.

They didn't sign Brady Aiken and so they got a compensatory pick the next draft that wouldn't be so high if they didn't got the 1:1 the previous draft. So 2 for 3.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

Personal attack.  Then re-read the part where they raised their offer over the minimum. 

Which is mentioned in my post you quoted, in which I directly said I had read Astroball but had forgotten certain details, and then mentioned that the Astros had raised their offer above the minimum in the end.    Did you even read my post?

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Which is mentioned in my post you quoted, in which I directly said I had read Astroball but had forgotten certain details, and then mentioned that the Astros had raised their offer above the minimum in the end.    Did you even read my post?

Sorry guess not.  

1 hour ago, Getz said:

They didn't sign Brady Aiken and so they got a compensatory pick the next draft that wouldn't be so high if they didn't got the 1:1 the previous draft. So 2 for 3.

So they got a good pick at #2?  Hmm isn't that what we were saying?

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, atomic said:

They went 1 for 3 with those picks.

I was replying to a poster who was saying that having back to back 1:1 could affect the culture of the organization, and I was saying that the Astros got three straight and are doing more than fine