TT: Matusz speaks to the fans

Tony-OH

I was disagreeing with Scott who said it was insincere to do that. I stated why I don't think it was insincere, it was just the way he went about doing it. Either from not knowing "the correct" way of doing things or whatever. Nothing more.

If I was writing a thank-you letter to a perspective employer after a job interview, theres a decent chance I'd write the same, or very similar things to each person who sat in on the interview, but I'd certainly personally address each individual person. Seems like a similar situation to me.

Heck, maybe I'm wrong, too, but I agree with Mackus on this. And I certainly don't have any motive to say that.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is new...
Well, good rumors are better than bad rumors, I suppose.

I'm still confidant this will get done as well. I've thought all along that Matusz would get an MLB contract, but not for anything drastically over slot. Hoosiers has been making some very intelligent and reasonable posts over in the Amateur Draft forum about what he expects Matusz to sign for.

I was disagreeing with Scott who said it was insincere to do that. I stated why I don't think it was insincere, it was just the way he went about doing it. Either from not knowing "the correct" way of doing things or whatever. Nothing more.

If I was writing a thank-you letter to a perspective employer after a job interview, theres a decent chance I'd write the same, or very similar things to each person who sat in on the interview, but I'd certainly personally address each individual person. Seems like a similar situation to me.

:rolleyes: Seriously? I just wasted my time trying to explain to you how this works and this is your response? I think I'll move on because there's nothing more to be had here...

:rolleyes: Seriously? I just wasted my time trying to explain to you how this works and this is your response? I think I'll move on because there's nothing more to be had here...
I don't think you're seeing what perspective I'm talking about this situation from.

Matusz probably thought that was the more professional way of doing things. Personalized correspondence certainly is the more professional way of doing things in most industries. I'll all but guarantee that personalized correspondence is what is taught in whatever professional writing English classes Matusz took at school (if he took one, it was mandatory at MD, so I'm guessing its somewhat standard).

I know you're not getting on him for mistakenly thinking that was the standard for journalism, I'm not accusing you of being unfairly critical or even critical at all (although Scott was a bit at first, but since apologized and retracted). I'm just stating a likely reason that sending out an identical email to several news sources and then personalizing the To part is something that would be not just excused but probably expected from someone who doesn't know the specific intricacies of sending an email to a member of the media.

I don't think you're seeing what perspective I'm talking about this situation from.

Matusz probably thought that was the more professional way of doing things. Personalized correspondence certainly is the more professional way of doing things in most industries. I'll all but guarantee that personalized correspondence is what is taught in whatever professional writing English classes Matusz took at school (if he took one, it was mandatory at MD, so I'm guessing its somewhat standard).

I know you're not getting on him for mistakenly thinking that was the standard for journalism, I'm not accusing you of being unfairly critical or even critical at all (although Scott was a bit at first, but since apologized and retracted). I'm just stating a likely reason that sending out an identical email to several news sources and then personalizing the To part is something that would be not just excused but probably expected from someone who doesn't know the specific intricacies of sending an email to a member of the media.

If I were in BM's shoes I might have responded the same way as him (i.e. addressed everyone individually) and thought I was just being respectful. I think that's all you're saying and I can certainly see where you're coming from.

If I were in BM's shoes I might have responded the same way as him (i.e. addressed everyone individually) and thought I was just being respectful. I think that's all you're saying and I can certainly see where you're coming from.

I also agree with this but confuses me somewhat in that I'm sure he didn't release anything to the media/public that his agent hadn't signed off on.

Good points. Sorry for flip-flopping. I unfairly presumed his "advisor" was involved. If he wasn't and it was Matusz genuinely trying to get his story out there, then I apologize and retract my previous statements.

LOL. Me too.

My initial reaction was the same as Tony's.....but after thinking about it and putting myself in BM's shoes- I agree that he was just "covering his bases" by sending it out to multiple sources.

To Brian Matusz- my advice to you in the next couple days is, sit down with your family, decide what price would make you happy- not feel vindicated and fair! If you view is thru the latter, you'll always be thinking, man, I could have gotten more, if the other side hadn't screwed me. Let your agent make your case, don't get involved in hearing what the other side says about why they shouldn't pay you that much. Its business. I remember Ben McDonald's agent recommending to him that he sit thru arbitration to hear just how bad the Orioles were bad-mouthing his performance. Big mistake. Let your agent handle it. You decide what will make you happy, not what is "fair". This coming from a poster who will be making far less than you in a week's time, but has handled his own share of negotiations (including my own, of course!)

Forget the next couple days idea. He's only got 3 days to sign the contract. Whatever he gets on his pre-rookie contract, it's going to be more than 99% of us make in our entire lifetimes.

Brian, just tell your agent to show some guts and stop waiting for someone else to decide what the market is for you. The O's are not trying to stiff you. They want you happy - not bitter at them. Right? Tell your agent to get something done now - not wait till the last minute. Demand the O's give their best offer now - and take it. All the eyes and dots should be crossed by tomorrow. Thanks, and best of luck to you in these exciting times.

I don't really appreciate or understand the neg rep for this post from the people who hit me.

Disagree if you want, but in no way is this post a violation of board rules as I understand them. I'm stating my opinion of what Matusz was thinking when he sent out "personalized" emails to the members of Baltimore media. I fail to see how that opinion is incendiary in any way.

I don't really appreciate or understand the neg rep for this post from the people who hit me.

Disagree if you want, but in no way is this post a violation of board rules as I understand them. I'm stating my opinion of what Matusz was thinking when he sent out "personalized" emails to the members of Baltimore media. I fail to see how that opinion is incendiary in any way.

Again, I guess it would be fair to say this really isn't my business, but I don't see why Mackus got negative rep for this either. Doesn't make sense to me FWIW.

Again, I guess it would be fair to say this really isn't my business, but I don't see why Mackus got negative rep for this either. Doesn't make sense to me FWIW.

Yah, he was just stating his opinion. If it was a really really stupid one, than sure hit him with all the neg rep you got, if you want, but seirously.

It wasn't a press release. He emailed the same thing to several media sources, because his goal was to get his message relayed to Orioles fans. I don't think he has all of our email addresses, so he sent the emails to the ones that are readily available, those of the reporters who cover the O's.

You know, organizations do this all the time. They have something they want to let everyone know about, but they can't contact everyone individually, so they send out a messege to the local media so they can report it.

I forget what that's called, though. ;)

I think it's at least possible that this is something designed to get the fans on his side if things don't get better with the team, especially with the use of vague language like "fair offer".

I mean, this is a team that doesn't have a great history with it's draft picks, and has even had some signing opportunities fail. So, what better way to "encourage" a front office then to go after a wary and easily-angered fan base?

Of course, that's not my opinion on the actual email in question and I don't want to speculate too much with something that is likely nothing.

I will add a, "Thanks for the info, Tony!" in, though :)

Archived