TT: Matusz speaks to the fans

Tony-OH

If we walk away and Texas signs Smoak, I don't know who would be looked at worse - Matusz for not signing with the Orioles or the Orioles for not picking a more signable pick like Smoak.

Is there a better pitcher in the draft next year than Matusz that we can get at pick #5 or a better hitting prospect at pick #12 than Smoak? If not the O's are not going to come out looking good in this situation at all...

Smoak wants a major league deal. He is not an easy sign.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has a draft holdout EVER improved their contract demands the next year? Has one EVER even went on to have a decent career?

How about Luke Hochevar. Fell to about pick 40 with the Dodgers in 2005 because of financial demands and wouldn't sign for around $3m that was on the table. The following year he was drafted No.1 overall by Kansas and received a $3.5 major league contract that was guaranteed to pay over $5m I think.

And he didn't even go back to college.

If we walk away and Texas signs Smoak, I don't know who would be looked at worse - Matusz for not signing with the Orioles or the Orioles for not picking a more signable pick like Smoak.

Is there a better pitcher in the draft next year than Matusz that we can get at pick #5 or a better hitting prospect at pick #12 than Smoak? If not the O's are not going to come out looking good in this situation at all...

Most of the rumors concerning Smoak have him signing north of 3M, and havent heard anyhting about wanting a MLB deal... So i wouldn't consider Smoak being more signable, just Texas is throwing alot of money around in the draft and LA free agency.

McPahial holds the cards here. If Matsuz doesnt sign, he know he gets the 5th pick next year. As far as having a pitcher avaliable next year at 5, between Starsburg and the kid from UNC, there should be someone of quality at 5.

For those complimenting Matusz (and his parents for the way he was raised :eektf:) for the "nice gesture," don't be so quick to make a judgement. I agree with those who've stated this is a business move that was done solely to gain the sympathies of the hardcore O's fan base and thereby put pressure on the O's to either make a better offer.

With that said, I really hope the deal gets done.

Most of the rumors concerning Smoak have him signing north of 3M... So i would consider Smoak being more signable, just Texas is throwing alot of money around in the draft and LA free agency.

McPahial holds the cards here. If Matsuz doesnt sign, he know he gets the 5th pick next year. As far as having a pitcher avaliable next year at 5, between Starsburg and the kid from UNC, there should be someone of quality at 5.

He's more signable after getting picked at #11, but if we picked him at #4 then he'd want $4MM and a major league contract.

Per BA:

Miami first baseman Alonso, Georgia shortstop Gordon Beckham (No. 8, White Sox) and South Carolina first baseman Justin Smoak (No. 11, Rangers) all appear to be angling for big league contracts, while the second tier of college bats typically has received slot money or slightly more. I believe all three will turn pro, and if they do get larger-than-precedent deals, it will set the bar higher for the future.

having a clear understanding of money's place in negotiations and what those negotiations can really look like, is like watching sausage being made. If you like sausage and want to keep enjoying your breakfast, you might be better off remaining in ingnorance.

The young man is likely acting as directed by his advisor. It is smarter than not listening. I can't say it's good advice, but you have to learn to take advice from your agent/advisor. I wish to hell I had had an advisor when I was young as my bank account looks like......sausage meat.

Get 'er done Brian. It's a good team with proud colors.

In addition to that, it appears that it's the pick +1. So if the Royals have the legit #5 pick, we would pick right after them at #6. Plus, like you said, any other comp picks that are in front would bump the O's.

In addition to this, the comp pick is no longer protected - so you either sign that player or lose the pick.

This is the big deal regarding the deferred pick if Matusz doesn't sign. Either we sign the player drafted with the comp pick next year, or we lose the pick entirely. Compensation picks do not get awarded again if you don't sign the player selected with the compensation pick.

Imagine the leverage that the player selected with a compensation pick would have other the Orioles next year. It's basically sign me for what I want, or you lose your draft pick. A compensation draftee that is drafted because a first-rounder didn't sign the previous season has a lot of power to get exactly the deal he wants.

Let's hope Matusz does sign. I think this is all posturing and he will sign a deal later in the week.

But if Matusz doesn't sign, the Orioles need to be prepared to sign the player drafted with the compensation pick in next year's draft no matter what the cost. It's not a great situation for the Orioles to be in, and it probably eliminates drafting any difficult signs with that compensation pick.

I referred to Adam Loewen's bad luck in my other post but didn't refer to him by name. The owner and FO is probably concerned with the amount of money they will pay an untested pitcher after getting burned in the Loewen deal. If we are convinced we can get Burnett (31) a proven pitcher from Toronto they may pass on Matusz and spend the money on another hitter in next year's draft with an extra pick. Come on Brian...don't wait. We have a lot of good young arms in our system that may be ready soon. I would not wait.

How do we know the agent was involved at all?

Maybe Matusz just decided to send an email on his own volition - and doesn't know the "rules" or whatever.

It wasn't a press release. He emailed the same thing to several media sources, because his goal was to get his message relayed to Orioles fans. I don't think he has all of our email addresses, so he sent the emails to the ones that are readily available, those of the reporters who cover the O's.

Good points. Sorry for flip-flopping. I unfairly presumed his "advisor" was involved. If he wasn't and it was Matusz genuinely trying to get his story out there, then I apologize and retract my previous statements.

Why should he get that much more money than Lincoln and Moskos over the past 2 drafts?

He's the superior talent in both cases, and noticeably. As well, the draft economics changes year to year, despite the best efforts of the slotting.

Matusz's agent and he will get a much better deal than either Lincoln or Moskos... count on it.

Archived