Three Sally League Broadcasters rank the league’s top prospects

Frobby

Will DeBoer of the Shorebirds ranks  Rodriguez first and Rom fourth among the pitchers, Adam Hall fourth among the hitters.    

Doug Maurer of the Asheville Tourists did a combined top 5 and ranked Doran Turchin the no. 4 prospect he had seen.

Matt Dean of the Charleston RiverDogs ranked Rodriguez as the top prospect in the league.

Detailed comments here: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/broadcasters-view-who-have-been-the-top-players-in-the-south-atlantic-league/

• Upvote 1

Doran Torchin of the .211/.317/.340 split? The good news for Doug Maurer is he may get a chance to see him some more next year (I think he probably does get promoted to Frederick, but it is no certainty).

In Maurer's defense, Torchin was 9-21 with 6 doubles and 5 walks in the six games the Shorebirds played against Asheville, a .586 OBP. That is in addition to the three run double in the All-Star Game that he cited.

7 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Doran Torchin of the .211/.317/.340 split? The good news for Doug Maurer is he may get a chance to see him some more next year (I think he probably does get promoted to Frederick, but it is no certainty).

In Maurer's defense, Torchin was 9-21 with 6 doubles and 5 walks in the six games the Shorebirds played against Asheville, a .586 OBP. That is in addition to the three run double in the All-Star Game that he cited.

Maurer seemed to be judging solely based on what he personally witnessed, based on his comments on all the players he mentioned.    

I wouldn’t put too much credence in what any of these guys had to say.   It’s just a fun tidbit.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Maurer seemed to be judging solely based on what he personally witnessed, based on his comments on all the players he mentioned.    

I wouldn’t put too much credence in what any of these guys had to say.   It’s just a fun tidbit.   

Oh I know, just thought it interesting that Doran Turchin has hit 16 doubles this year with Delmarva in 82 games including the All Star Game and 7 of them have been in the 7 games that Doug Maurer has watched!