ROY- Means or Alvarez?

HowAboutThat

14 hours ago, byrdz said:

This list has Means second behind Alvarez. Guerrero not even listed as a serious contender.

https://www.mlb.com/news/2019-mvp-cy-young-award-roy-poll-leaders

Not surprising. I think there's a big gap between Means and everyone else. Almost as big of the gap between Means and Alvarez. As much as I like Means I can't believe we're even having this discussion. Alvarez has 27 HRs,, 77 RBIs, .681 SLG%, and .422 OBP% in less than 300 ABs. That is absolutely nuts. If you project out his numbers his season is significantly better than Pete Alonso's, who's going ot win the NL ROY.

I'm amazed that this list doesn't even have Sonny Gray in the top five for NL Cy Young voting. That's just crazy. He has most definitely been better than Strasburg and Flaherty and should finish third. The writer definitely seems to have some "name" player bias. 

21 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Not surprising. I think there's a big gap between Means and everyone else. Almost as big of the gap between Means and Alvarez. As much as I like Means I can't believe we're even having this discussion. Alvarez has 27 HRs,, 77 RBIs, .681 SLG%, and .422 OBP% in less than 300 ABs. That is absolutely nuts. If you project out his numbers his season is significantly better than Pete Alonso's, who's going ot win the NL ROY.

I'm amazed that this list doesn't even have Sonny Gray in the top five for NL Cy Young voting. That's just crazy. He has most definitely been better than Strasburg and Flaherty and should finish third. The writer definitely seems to have some "name" player bias. 

To be fair, the “less than 300 ABs” line actually works against your point re: impressive rate stats.