A look at the 40 man roster

wildcard

Just my opinion.

Elias focus will be on 2022.  The 2020 roster could suffer if he finds trades that help in 2022.

This is the roster I see prior to the Rule 5 draft.  Elias will be looking for cheap talent to acquire.   He will weigh whether the acquiring player is better than what he has and trade or DFA the current player on the roster when he finds a player that is better.

Ages as of July 1st 2020.

O's need to add 4 pitchers this off season.  AAA types for under 1M each in salary.  Several on minor league contracts.  The AAA rotation is full but there is space for them in the AA rotation.   They will also be used as the 5th starter and  in long relief in the majors.

-o means has option

Bold means players I think have a good chance to be on the OD 25 man roster.

Starters (8)  O’s will carry 5 on the 25 man roster

1. Means (27)* -o

2. Bundy (27)*  

3. Cobb (32)*  If healthy

4. Brooks (30) 4-1,  3.62 ERA last 6 weeks earns him a spot.

5. Wojciechowski (31)   

6. Akin  (25)-o  Begins the season at AAA

7. Kremer (24)-o AAA

8. Sedlock (25) -o AA

9. Fenter (24) -o Begins the season at Frederick but could move to Bowie fast.  Continues as starter for now.

Relievers (12) O’s will carry 8 on the 25 man roster

10. Harvey (25)*- o

11. Givens (30)*-o   Has really hurt his trade value with the blown saves.   He will be available but I doubt Elias gets what he wants for him.

12. Castro (25)*  

13. Bleier (33) -o   Career numbers are very good.  Good bet to bounce back next year. Good September.

14. Tanner Scott (25)-o Has 1 option left.  Can't give up on an arm like this until he is out of option. Still has trouble  with command.

15. Phillips (25) -o Has one option left.   Nice September.  Has proven what he needs to in AAA.

16. Carroll (27)-o Depending on health.  If he was healthy he is just the kind of pitcher the O's would be trying to add. Has 1 option left.  Has a 2.73 career ERA in the minors with over a strikeout per inning

17. Tate  (26)* -o Has 2 options left.  Has 1.67 ERA as reliever at Bowie.

18. Kline  (28) -o  Has 2 option left.  Can’t give up on the arm..

19. Ortiz (24)-o  Too young to give up on.  Has a strong arm. Has two options left.

20. Alvarado (25)-o  2.66 ERA at AA.

21. TBD

22. TBD

23. TBD

O’s will carry 13 position players on the 25 man roster.

Catchers (2)

24. Severino (26)*

25. Sisco (24)*-o

Infielders/DH (8)

26. Mancini  (28)*-o 1B/COF/DH

27. Alberto (27)* 2B/3B

28. Villar  (29)* SS/2B Very Available. But Elias will put a high price on him.

29. Ruiz  (26)*-o   3B Good last 7 weeks raised his stock.

30. Nunez (26)* DH/3B/1B

31. Wilkerson (28)*-o   2B/3B/SS/OF Can hit righties.   Could be platoon 2B or a UIF/UOF.

32. Davis (34)*  1B/DH With 3 years left on that contract and the team not expected to win.  He stays.  Addition of 26th man helps him hold a spot.

33. Martin (25)*-o  SS May start at AAA. If Villar is trade Martin make the O’s 25 man roster.

Outfielders (9)

34. Mountcastle (23)-o LF/!B/DH Probably the starting LFer.

35. Hays (24) -o   CF

36. Santander (25)*-o  RF/CF/LF 

37. Stewart (26)*-o LF/RF

38. Smith  (27) -o  LF Power and that option keeps him on the roster for now.

39. McKenna (23)-o  AA

40. Mullins (25)-o AAA

Stewart and Smith will compete in ST.   The loser will be optioned to AAA when Mountcastle is promoted on April 10th.

AAA/AA contract offers with invites to ST (7)

Hunter Cervenka, Fry, Armstrong, Eades, Williams, Wynns, Hess, Shepherd

Trades possibility

Villar

Will come off the 40 man roster (12)

Eades, Rogers, Ynoa, Wynns, Trumbo, Armstrong, Fry, Hanhold, Taylor Scott, Shepherd, Williams, Hess

Needs

SP and RP (SS if Villar is traded)

• Upvote 1

Not much argument. Not sure I agree about Wynns and Armstrong coming off, even though Armstrong finished rather poorly. If it weren’t for options, I’d happily dump Phillips, and Ortiz was just a bad pick. No reason to keep him. “Young” doesn’t cancel out “no progress.” However, your calculations open up 12 spots and we only need 5 for the rule 5 protections so that leaves plenty of room for other additions, so no problem keeping them for now.

I just saw this article that was posted by Trezza a few days ago and it surprised me:

It was telling how when asked recently to name his winter priority roster-wise, Elias said choosing which prospects to protect from the Rule 5 Draft. Ryan Mountcastle, Dean Kremer, Keegan Akin and Cody Sedlock are locks; Ryan McKenna and Alex Wells will warrant closer consideration.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/five-questions-facing-the-orioles-this-offseason

I’m not sure if that’s just Trezza’s opinion, or whether he has some intel that Wells is more on the fence than Sedlock.    Seems very surprising to me, though I suppose it’s possible that the reason Wells was sent to the AFL was so the O’s could further evaluate whether to protect him.

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I just saw this article that was posted by Trezza a few days ago and it surprised me:

It was telling how when asked recently to name his winter priority roster-wise, Elias said choosing which prospects to protect from the Rule 5 Draft. Ryan Mountcastle, Dean Kremer, Keegan Akin and Cody Sedlock are locks; Ryan McKenna and Alex Wells will warrant closer consideration.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/five-questions-facing-the-orioles-this-offseason

I’m not sure if that’s just Trezza’s opinion, or whether he has some intel that Wells is more on the fence than Sedlock.    Seems very surprising to me, though I suppose it’s possible that the reason Wells was sent to the AFL was so the O’s could further evaluate whether to protect him.

Based on Elias’ comments that Sedlock was “dead in the water” until they implemented their pitching development program in the minors this year I would be surprised if he didn’t get protected.

Also does Wells have to be protected this year? Don’t recall seeing him as rule 5 eligible this year.

10 minutes ago, VaBird1 said:

I figured Lowther, Wells, Zimmerman, Kramer and Ortiz would probably start the year in AAA.  Maybe Akin breaks camp in Baltimore unless he stinks it up in Spring Training?

I think Akin starts the year in Norfolk and gets called up sometime in the first half.   I’d put Ortiz in the ‘pen.    He doesn’t have the stamina to start.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I think Akin starts the year in Norfolk and gets called up sometime in the first half.   I’d put Ortiz in the ‘pen.    He doesn’t have the stamina to start.

I don’t think I have the stamina for him to start either.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Akin in Norfolk and hope he can learn to be more "pitch efficent."

Ortiz to the treadmill. He might get gassed coming in from the bullpen...