The O's need stopgap starters

wildcard

Until the Bowie crowd  and Akin are  ready .

Here are the kind of pitchers I think the O's will go after:

Hector Noesi (32) 11-4, 3.82 ERA in the PCL

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=456051#/career/R/pitching/2019/ALL

Colin Rea (29)  14-4, 3.95 ERA in the PCL

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=607067#/career/R/pitching/2019/ALinte

Michael Peoples (28)  10-6, 3.98 ERA in the International League

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=l117&player_id=621191#/career/R/pitching/2019/ALL

I am not saying these will be the pitchers Elias signs but these are the type of pitchers I think he goes after.   They are in the  mold on Wojo and Brooks.  They can start or be long relievers.  They could be on major league contracts or minor league contract with an invite to ST.  If they don't make the team out of ST I see them pitching att Bowie filling out the rotation with DL Hall and Sedlock and be ready for a call up when needed.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Until the Bowie crowd  and Akin are  ready .

Here are the kind of pitchers I think the O's will go after:

Hector Noesi (32) 11-4, 3.82 ERA in the PCL

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=456051#/career/R/pitching/2019/ALL

Colin Rea (29)  14-4, 3.95 ERA in the PCL

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=607067#/career/R/pitching/2019/ALinte

Michael Peoples (28)  10-6, 3.98 ERA in the International League

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=l117&player_id=621191#/career/R/pitching/2019/ALL

I am not saying these will be the pitchers Elias signs but these are the type of pitchers I think he goes after.   They are in the  mold on Wojo and Brooks.  They can start or be long relievers.  They could be on major league contracts or minor league contract with an invite to ST.  If they don't make the team out of ST I see them pitching att Bowie filling out the rotation with DL Hall and Sedlock and be ready for a call up when needed.

Rea's 7-7 with a 4.69 of MLB experience is better than most of what we had pitching this past season.

I appreciate this article, but it’s just illustrates how many moving parts are going to be dancing around between now and March, and how much our own roster depends upon the discards of other teams.

After the season, Wynne team start to clean out their 40 man roster, that’s when will have the chance to make some worthwhile moves, unfortunately, the Tigers now have first crack at everything. Oh well…

1 minute ago, Philip said:

I appreciate this article, but it’s just illustrates how many moving parts are going to be dancing around between now and March, and how much our own roster depends upon the discards of other teams.

After the season, Wynne team start to clean out their 40 man roster, that’s when will have the chance to make some worthwhile moves, unfortunately, the Tigers now have first crack at everything. Oh well…

6 year minor league free agents. are not subject to any kind of worst record order.  They can be signed by any team.

13 minutes ago, Philip said:

Dang.  Can't even win at losing can they?

34 minutes ago, wildcard said:

6 year minor league free agents. are not subject to any kind of worst record order.  They can be signed by any team.

I was not clear, I wasn’t referring to minor-league free agents, although if we can find a good one or two of those that would be great. It would also be great if maybe we could find some outstanding player in Korea or Japan and bring him back.

The main source of usable talent  for our purposes will be the 35-40 spots on the rosters of loaded teams. Looking at just the Yankees, for instance, they are filled to overflowing with candidates for the 40 man roster, as well as the need to protect the guys from the rule five draft. We could Probably assemble an improved team merely from New York discards, But because we have connections with Houston and St. Louis,  which are also very deep organizations, we might be able to sneak away some of their worthwhile discards. 

Peoples would be a great pickup and we definitely need depth. But is the consensus that Akin isn't ready? He led the International League in strikeouts this past year and his ERA (4.73) was below league average (4.90).

A starting rotation of Cobb, Means, Bundy, Akin, and Wojo seems serviceable to me. It's just the drop-off after that is enormous.

1 minute ago, luismatos4prez said:

Peoples would be a great pickup and we definitely need depth. But is the consensus that Akin isn't ready? He led the International League in strikeouts this past year and his ERA (4.73) was below league average (4.90).

A starting rotation of Cobb, Means, Bundy, Akin, and Wojo seems serviceable to me. It's just the drop-off after that is enormous.

Have to start him in the minors so his service clock doesn't start ticking too early!

Rea seems to be recovered from a few injuries, having made 26 starts this year. I saw him pitch at Indiana State so I'd like to see him do well. Seems like a good gamble to take if we could sign him. 

The 2018 season was reminiscent of Rea’s early career in the minors as he struggled to come back from surgery and dealt with an additional lat injury that slowed his rehab. He had a 5.73 ERA over 75.1 IP, but did strike out 70 batters. This year, however, something seems to have clicked for Rea at Iowa. Maybe it’s just having a renewed confidence in himself after putting the elbow issues behind him.

https://www.cubsinsider.com/2019/07/07/chicago-cubs-prospect-profile-colin-rea-looks-like-possible-plan-b-guy/

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Looking at just the Yankees, for instance, they are filled to overflowing with candidates for the 40 man roster,

NY Free Agents

Didi Gregorious

CC Sabathia

Dellin Betances

Austin Romine

Cameron Maybin

Cory Gearrin

Players that may not have their option picked up

Edwin Encarnation

Trevor Rosenthal

Jacoby Ellsbury could be cut and salary ate (1 year plus buyout = $26 Million)

Non Tender of

Greg Bird

That make ten removed from forty

Andujar, Holder and Barrett return to forty off the 60 day DL

7 spots open on the forty for the N Y Yankees.

Wow, thank you very much for this information. Those are the probable spots open, how many guys need to be added for rule five protection, and how many worthwhile players does that leave? 

I don’t know whether Greg bird would be a good addition for us, but I doubt we have any other interest in the others that you mentioned, but this kind of exercise needs to be repeated for each team, And I would be surprised if we can’t find worthwhile guys to add.