Chris Davis salary dump matches

Just Regular

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Guys have retired and left money on the table.

I'm guessing in at least one of those cases the team gave them some of their contract.

Prince Fielder announced he was medically unable to continue playing, which is key because it wasn't retirement and he did it so both the Tigers and Rangers would continue to pay out his contract.  That's the biggest fish in this besides Davis.  

Like I said, anyone thinking the Orioles will come to a settlement or anything is just setting themselves up for frustration when it doesn't happen.

4 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Prince Fielder announced he was medically unable to continue playing, which is key because it wasn't retirement and he did it so both the Tigers and Rangers would continue to pay out his contract.  That's the biggest fish in this besides Davis.  

Like I said, anyone thinking the Orioles will come to a settlement or anything is just setting themselves up for frustration when it doesn't happen.

I'm not saying he would, but I don't think your statement that it has never happened is accurate.  Gil Meche gave up 12M.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not saying he would, but I don't think your statement that it has never happened is accurate.  Gil Meche gave up 12M.

Mike Schmidt walked away from about $1.5 in 1989 when that was a very high salary.    He got fed up with his poor play 25% of the way through the season and quit.    I think Michael Cuddyer walked away from $10-12 mm, though it’s unclear whether he got some buyout payment from the Mets.   https://www.mlb.com/mets/news/mets-michael-cuddyer-retires-during-contract/c-159478620

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Mike Schmidt walked away from about $1.5 in 1989 when that was a very high salary.    He got fed up with his poor play 25% of the way through the season and quit.    I think Michael Cuddyer walked away from $10-12 mm, though it’s unclear whether he got some buyout payment from the Mets.   https://www.mlb.com/mets/news/mets-michael-cuddyer-retires-during-contract/c-159478620

Thanks for the Cuddyer example, it certainly sounds like he got some sort of buyout.

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

I was in SoCal a few weeks ago, and was returning from Joshua Tree National Park (100 miles east of LA) to the LA area on a Sunday afternoon.   There are traffic jams 50 miles from downtown LA, even on a Sunday, out that direction.   

By the time I left LA in 2006, I felt like the only way to survive there was to find a neighborhood where almost everything you liked or needed was within walking or biking distance or, in extreme cases, a few stops away on an express bus route. I considered myself fortunate to find a life where I used my car only once or twice a week for mid-morning shopping expeditions and trips to places like the dentist's office. But it really cut down on the number of parties I could go to.

Joshua Tree is a fantastic place. I went there often on my motorcycle (what I relied on for about 8 of my years there instead of a car, again because of the nightmare of L.A. traffic). Sometimes I would stay at one of the spa motels in nearby Yucca Valley or Desert Palm Springs--so serene and arid it was a perfect place to read and write. Other times, I would just unroll a sleeping bag under one of the big boulders in the park, listen to the coyotes, and see their pawprints in the sand around me when I woke up.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

That tells me that LA should be near the top of the list of possible expansion locations.  Especially since going from San Clemente to Thousand Oaks in rush hour might take you three hours or more.  I think LA needs four teams.

Yes, the other logical place to put a team would be in northern New Jersey.  Can't imagine its easy for Yankees or Mets fans to go all the way to the Bronx or Queens 

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

I was in SoCal a few weeks ago, and was returning from Joshua Tree National Park (100 miles east of LA) to the LA area on a Sunday afternoon.   There are traffic jams 50 miles from downtown LA, even on a Sunday, out that direction.   

Yes. In the middle of the night as well. I promise that I saw it on my National Lampoon's RV Vacation this spring. 

Ten years ago I took my late father in law home to Whittier from Fontana at 11 PM. Christmas Eve. Bumper to bumper. 

4 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

Yes, the other logical place to put a team would be in northern New Jersey.  Can't imagine its easy for Yankees or Mets fans to go all the way to the Bronx or Queens 

The Yankees will fight to the death to block any expansion team in northern New Jersey. It’s never going to happen. The Yankees own north Jersey. 

7 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The Yankees will fight to the death to block any expansion team in northern New Jersey. It’s never going to happen. The Yankees own north Jersey. 

Which is why we need the Continental League to spring up.  Or the AL/NL to be broken up by the Justice Department for anti-trust violations (yes, that would involve overturning the anti-trust exemption).  Territorial "rights" only exist inside of MLB.  So let's end this period where MLB is the only game in town.

Maybe Bill Gates or Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos or Mark Cuban or somebody should buy the Atlantic League and start moving teams from Long Island and Waldorf and York to MLB markets, and signing recognizable free agents.

Yea, I know, never going to happen.

11 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

7 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

2 hours ago, VaBird1 said:

Which is a major problem with MLB.

Yeah, baseball was much more competitive when the Yankees, Giants and Dodgers were all in NY.

Oh wait, it wasn’t.   

And I’ve noticed how the NFL and NBA have put 3 teams in the NY area.    Not.   

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, baseball was much more competitive when the Yankees, Giants and Dodgers were all in NY.

Oh wait, it wasn’t.   

And I’ve noticed how the NFL and NBA have put 3 teams in the NY area.    Not.   

Well keep in mind there was no draft or free agency the last time New York metro had three teams.