No Fanfest in 2020?

mdbdotcom

On 10/19/2019 at 9:02 AM, Luke-OH said:

I doubt it's a 1 to 0 type of thing. I'm sure there will be something with a different name and format. Maybe something like this...

https://www.milb.com/round-rock/tickets/astros-futures-weekend

or like this

https://www.mlb.com/padres/tickets/specials/on-deck-game

The first Astros Futures games take place three and three and a half hours from downtown Houston. I don't see how this correlates to anything like Fanfest. The second is at Petco but have no signings. Maybe a game at Camden Yards  with free tickets and charge for autograph signings and pictures with future Orioles and some old Orioles and maybe even a player or two from the current Orioles. Maybe two games right before the season. Discussions at the Roof Deck Bar. Dugout Tours an hour or so after the games.I know John Vidalin ,who went back to Miami has some innovative ideas but the Orioles are not the most innovative team.promotion has always been bad with the Orioles over the years. They even had trouble getting players for the Orioles Annual Christmas Party. Players out in the community was also not good this year. A few signings in York Pa but nothing really like a few years back. This is based on not many players have been here awhile and players don't spend much time here. 

18 hours ago, weams said:

I think the point is how to get tickets sold like the good old days. The answer is that they are not pushing that. 

Nope,the Angelos family made a nice profit this year. About $240 million in revenue even before attendance. MASN is a separate entity from the Orioles so that profit is not shown in the Oriole books. With payroll basically slashed in half ,this year was one of the most profitable ever for the Angelos family,

28 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Other teams owners have said that teams aren't moving only to then have the team move.

I don't think the Orioles are moving, but like CoC it isn't because of anything John Angelos says.  And that's not a knock on John Angelos.

Hard to put much stock into what guys like Al Davis says.

There is a host of reasons for the team to say in Baltimore.

Just because there is a wild arse rumor floating that the team is looking into moving, doesnt make it true, or a probability, either.

On 10/19/2019 at 10:45 PM, Luke-OH said:

In a rebuilding offseason, it’d be cool to have a prospect showcase at Camden Yards, they could do some of the autograph stuff too and have some interactive player development demonstrations. Mostly I prefer it because it’s baseball vs not baseball. I also like the idea of getting average fans interested in the prospect pipeline.

That would be neat. But, first and foremost, I think the importance of FanFest is for kids. I hope they don't lose sight of that with whatever they decide to pivot to.

I really think that smaller-market teams like the Orioles really need to work to build and maintain their fanbase - it goes a little beyond just wins=tickets, at least in comparison to large markets.

During an era of some pretty bad and (I think to most fans) quite uninteresting teams - community events like FanFest are incredibly important in building the next generation of O's fans.

8 hours ago, Dipper9 said:

I appreciate those who are disappointed and I won't disparage these folks.

As for me, I am a 13 game season ticket holder, get to about 20 games per year, and honestly am finding a hard time justifying renewing for 2020.  I am in favor of the rebuild and completely understand why they are doing it, but it makes for some really, really long nights at the Yard.  And the Orioles marketing department, knowing full well that the team is not competitive, still charges full prices for tickets, still charges up-charges for Prime games, etc.  I mean, c'mon, we lose to everyone.  Do you really need to charge the fans extra to see us lose to the Yankees?  Or lose on a weekend?  Gimme a break here.  Make it worthwhile for me to renew and want to go see guys play who I could see the same caliber (or better) within an hour drive at our Minor League stadiums.

So yeah, if the games are tough to watch, I certainly would not have attended FanFest this year.  

And before those who don't know me start calling me a fair weather or band wagon fan, I live and die by this team night after night, 162 games a year, for the past 45 years.  Win or lose I support this team.  I'm just looking for a reason to PAY to support them when I can watch at home in the comfort of my jammers and recliner?

You pretty much nailed it! This should be a sticky!