Who will be the #5 and #6 prospects?

Tony-OH

Who will be the #5 and #6 prospects?   

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the #5 and #6 prospects?

• Diaz and Hays
    • Diaz and Baumann
    • Hays and Diaz
    • Hays and Baumann
    • Kremer and Diaz

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm with the majority on Hays and Baumann.  Hays is a former top 100 prospect who only got knocked down because of injuries.  The potential is still there.  Baumann seems to have more upside than Kremer, although Kremer is closer to ML ready.  Much like Diaz may have more upside than Hays, but Hays is closer (as in already a ML player).  [After re-reading this, I'm pretty sure I just contradicted myself with these two points.]

Having said that, these are all strong choices for the next tier of prospects.  I think all of 5-10 could have their names put in a paper bag and pulled out by a random fan and the order could be justified.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I really like Rom (had him in my top 15 after 2018 before anyone else), but I don’t think he’s top 8, and probably not top 10 yet.   If he does well at Frederick he could be there next year.   

Will be interested in the Rom write-up for sure. IIRC, average at best velocity was a problem with his projection. Another athletic kid though. Good pitchability, if I recall.

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

I'm with the majority on Hays and Baumann.  Hays is a former top 100 prospect who only got knocked down because of injuries.  The potential is still there.  Baumann seems to have more upside than Kremer, although Kremer is closer to ML ready.  Much like Diaz may have more upside than Hays, but Hays is closer (as in already a ML player).  [After re-reading this, I'm pretty sure I just contradicted myself with these two points.]

Having said that, these are all strong choices for the next tier of prospects.  I think all of 5-10 could have their names put in a paper bag and pulled out by a random fan and the order could be justified.

Hays will be 25 in July.  Diaz JUST turned 23.  Baumann is 24. Kremer is 23.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I definitely think out my choices to throw people off, so whether a guy was on a list or not may or may not have any bearing on whether he's the next selection. I also switch it up where the choices do give you some indications. Basically, I try to give as little away as possible with the choices other than to make people think and to discuss the possibilities! ;)

But we've yet to see a poll with Matt Fwieters as an option. #throwback

Diaz and Baumann. Two totally different 2019 stories with one stalling a bit due to injury and the other exploding into the upper class of our prospects.

If Diaz is healthy, I expect him to have a huge year in Norfolk and force the issue by late in the season. He looked so good in Spring Training and think we're really going to see his power arrive next season assuming AAA continues to use the ML ball. He still has the highest upside of anyone who hasn't yet been listed

I'm bullish on Baumann because he seems to have taken off with the new minor league pitching development team and I think another full offseason in that system will allow him to continue to improve. 

9 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Assuming Kremer is in the next four all together of course! ;) I will say this just for fun and to see who is paying attention, one of these guys is not in the next four.

Hmmm given that Kremer is only mentioned once, he’s odds-on to be the outlier and not in the next four. On the other hand he ended strong and is the youngest of the group.

but I voted for him so that decides it...oh well.

Tony, I know this is. A lot of work for you and for Luke. I really appreciate it. I miss Jon Shepard a lot, but you guys have filled in admirably, and I hope one day I can drag my wife to a home game and buy you both a beer.

10 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Something to consider here, the next four guys on the list are pretty similar prospects in my mind. We could build a case to switch any of the four around to make one over the other, but as always, we have to make a final call and if players have close ceilings, you go with the guy that is more ready.

In THAT case, given that Hays has already debuted and done well, he’s one of the two, which verifies my previous comment about Kremer being on the outside still.

Hays and Baumann