USAToday: Boras Quotes

weams

3 hours ago, weams said:

You know I am hoping for under 50. 

I can't imagine why. Unless you're joking. I can never tell.

3 hours ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

That's easy (and obvious).. potentially higher draft position and $10 million that can potentially be spent elsewhere.

Or non-tendering a good ML player because you believe you can get similar production at a fraction of the price (which isn't an unreasonable position to take on Villar next year, imo). Just because your payroll is low doesn't mean you're in a position to make $10 million mistakes.

What will they do with that $10M that can't already be done with the tens of millions of dollars they've saved on payroll by now? 

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

How about non-tendering good ML players because ownership set a budget that keeps you from tendering them?

Maybe I don't know enough about ML budgets. I imagine the team is making a big profit with payroll so low. Is there a good reason (other than pocket-lining) for ownership to set a budget of say $60M? 

3 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

Maybe I don't know enough about ML budgets. I imagine the team is making a big profit with payroll so low. Is there a good reason (other than pocket-lining) for ownership to set a budget of say $60M? 

I seem to be a chorus of one on this subject, but $10 mm you don’t spend this year is $10 mm that can be spent in some future year when we’re contending and might get us a player who actually makes a difference to our playoff chances.   This idea that the money just disappears if it isn’t spent in the current year is crazy.   This isn’t federal budgeting.    

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I seem to be a chorus of one on this subject, but $10 mm you don’t spend this year is $10 mm that can be spent in some future year when we’re contending and might get us a player who actually makes a difference to our playoff chances.   This idea that the money just disappears if it isn’t spent in the current year is crazy.   This isn’t federal budgeting.    

If the team owners spend it on themselves.  

6 hours ago, weams said:

Earl sold cars. Jim sold suits. 

Yeah but I am sure people gladly bought cars and suits from them.  No one will be lining up to buy cars from some low A ball player.

What gets me is when I read about players having to eat at McDonalds for meals or missing meals.  You would think they would want their prospects to eat nutritional meals. 

38 minutes ago, atomic said:

Yeah but I am sure people gladly bought cars and suits from them.  No one will be lining up to buy cars from some low A ball player.

What gets me is when I read about players having to eat at McDonalds for meals or missing meals.  You would think they would want their prospects to eat nutritional meals. 

An innovative owner would spend money on dorms with cafeterias and gyms for each affiliate and take care of their minor leaguers’ food and shelter needs.

10 hours ago, backwardsk said:

An innovative owner would spend money on dorms with cafeterias and gyms for each affiliate and take care of their minor leaguers’ food and shelter needs.

Which owner though?  The Orioles don't own the Tides (for example).  The Tides are owned by Maryland Baseball Holding LLC and have a player development contract with the O's.  Prior to 2007 Norfolk was a long-time Mets affiliate.  Dorms and gyms are significant capital investments for a minor league club to risk being subsidized by whatever ML team it might contract with in the future.  Conversely why would the O's want to be tied to the Norfilk Tides by making that kind of capital investment on their behalf?

22 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Which owner though?  The Orioles don't own the Tides (for example).  The Tides are owned by Maryland Baseball Holding LLC and have a player development contract with the O's.  Prior to 2007 Norfolk was a long-time Mets affiliate.  Dorms and gyms are significant capital investments for a minor league club to risk being subsidized by whatever ML team it might contract with in the future.  Conversely why would the O's want to be tied to the Norfilk Tides by making that kind of capital investment on their behalf?

Mobile gyms, food stipends, and subsidized housing are not extravagant pipe dreams.

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yeah and it isn't like this is the White Sox, Brewers, or Pirates (in the top half of operating income despite bottom 5 payrolls). The Orioles, when they ramped payroll up, ran an operating loss.

9 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Mobile gyms, food stipends, and subsidized housing are not extravagant pipe dreams.

I'm a big fan of a better deal for minor league players and I would strongly support food stipends and housing allowances at the major league club's expense.  That seems doable.  Infrastructure improvements across the entire minor league system considerably less so IMO, but I would certainly like to see it happen.

20 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

What will they do with that $10M that can't already be done with the tens of millions of dollars they've saved on payroll by now? 

It's been reported just recently that the team is currently looking to upgrade to their infrastructure in the international scouting department on top of the slew of dedicated scouts they just hired for this very purpose (in addition to the largest/most substantial J2 class in O's history). These are the types of projects that I would expect that $10M to go towards.

And I know you didn't dispute the other point that I made, but I'll follow it up anyways by saying that with a higher draft slot they have more options to select players that they value the most.

There are several good reasons to not spend $$ just because you can afford it.