Orioles Open to Trading Bundy - Per Rosenthal

wildbillhiccup

I would maybe think about packaging Bundy say with Givens. White Sox are a team that are in my mind very close. Add Zach Wheeler, Bundy, and Givens and the division they play in you have to think it puts them right in the thick of winning a weak division which is all that matters. I'm thinking a SP prospect(Dane Dunning?) MI prospect since the Orioles could use all the 2B/SS options they could get their hands on since its questionable that guys like Adam Hall can stick at shortstop and guys like Mason McCoy and Grenier probably are not more than utility guys and maybe a lottery ticket guy?

22 minutes ago, IronMan6981 said:

I would maybe think about packaging Bundy say with Givens. White Sox are a team that are in my mind very close. Add Zach Wheeler, Bundy, and Givens and the division they play in you have to think it puts them right in the thick of winning a weak division which is all that matters. I'm thinking a SP prospect(Dane Dunning?) MI prospect since the Orioles could use all the 2B/SS options they could get their hands on since its questionable that guys like Adam Hall can stick at shortstop and guys like Mason McCoy and Grenier probably are not more than utility guys and maybe a lottery ticket guy?

Dunning is coming off TJ surgery, not sure I would want to take him at this point.  

Yolbert Sanchez may not have a home as they are looking to move him due to his lack of a bat, and adding top level defense will help out the pitchers that we already have.  

Nick Madrigal gets a lot of hype, but Steele Walker had the hit tool just a notch below his in the draft last year, and he shows the instincts to potentially stick in CF.  

Blake Rutherford is a former top 100 prospect, but really needs to cut down on his K's.  

Gavin Sheets (son of Larry) is an interesting prospect who might be blocked now that they are trying to work out a long-term deal with Abreu and have Vaughn in the fold. 

I'm thinking Bundy could get Sanchez and Sheets, while adding Givens could put them into territory to discuss Rutherford, Walker, Jonathan Steiver or Luis Alexander Basabe.   

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Dunning is coming off TJ surgery, not sure I would want to take him at this point.  

Yolbert Sanchez may not have a home as they are looking to move him due to his lack of a bat, and adding top level defense will help out the pitchers that we already have.  

Nick Madrigal gets a lot of hype, but Steele Walker had the hit tool just a notch below his in the draft last year, and he shows the instincts to potentially stick in CF.  

Blake Rutherford is a former top 100 prospect, but really needs to cut down on his K's.  

Gavin Sheets (son of Larry) is an interesting prospect who might be blocked now that they are trying to work out a long-term deal with Abreu and have Vaughn in the fold. 

I'm thinking Bundy could get Sanchez and Sheets, while adding Givens could put them into territory to discuss Rutherford, Walker, Jonathan Steiver or Luis Alexander Basabe.   

My understanding was that Dunning was considered close to ready before TJS but I see he also had some injuries before that too. I would love to see them get up the middle guys at second, short, and center and improve the defense at those spots. I'm intrigued by all the names you mentioned but I wonder where does a guy like Sheets fit with a logjam of 1B/LF/DH types the Orioles currently have with Mancini, Mountcastle, and at least to open spring, Chris Davis? Maybe you can work a trade for Mancini to open space for Mountcastle in left field? They don't have to do this Day 1 because Mountcastle will least be down until you get an extra year of service time and I would think they would like to see him get some more reps in left anyway. I myself would say release Davis, but I don't think we will see that before Opening Day though I believe we are getting closer to that scenario

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

He’s worth more than that, by a fairly conservative projection he’s worth 12M in surplus value. A prospect of McKenna’s quality is 4-8M depending on how you see him.

How about Nick Madrigal and Dane Dunning?  We can go all Oregon State...lol. 

• Haha 1

The White Sox payroll is nicely trimmed for their run, so I expect they are ready to use money more than talent to round out their team, but they are a budding contender that for the moment at least could still benefit significantly from Mancini if they deemed him a cromulent OF.  Basabe, Rutherford, etc. are iffy as the 3rd outfielder with Eloy and Robert, and I still am digesting the astonishing fact that Leury Garcia played enough to score 90 runs.

But the Kole Calhouns of the world come cheaper than ever for the short term - I would guess they'd only get to Mancini demand if they end up the ones getting to give Cole almost $40M AAV.

40 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

How about Nick Madrigal and Dane Dunning?  We can go all Oregon State...lol. 

If the O’s could pry Madrigal from the Sox that’d be a coup, he’s a plug and play plus defensive 2B who’ll hit .300+ every year with some walks and doubles and 20+ SBs. He’s worth much more than Bundy and I’m not sure why the Sox would move him. 

If Dunning is 100% healthy, that’s pretty close to a fair return IMO.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

If the O’s could pry Madrigal from the Sox that’d be a coup, he’s a plug and play plus defensive 2B who’ll hit .300+ every year with some walks and doubles and 20+ SBs. He’s worth much more than Bundy and I’m not sure why the Sox would move him. 

From the White Sox I suggested Steiver and Y Sanchez. Thoughts?

its basically a Organizational top 5-10 and a 25-30 type.

21 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

From the White Sox I suggested Steiver and Y Sanchez. Thoughts?

its basically a Organizational top 5-10 and a 25-30 type.

I like Steiver as a piece but I’m not sure Yolbert works for either side, the Sox just paid him a lot and the Orioles probably want some upside in the deal. I would love to try and grab Dalquist but he was just drafted and I’m not sure if they’d move him. Dalquist and Steiver seems pretty close to fair. Going by Fangraphs FV valuations it’s not enough for Bundy, but Steiver improves his profile and Dalquist I’m higher on than Fangraphs.

6 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I like Steiver as a piece but I’m not sure Yolbert works for either side, the Sox just paid him a lot and the Orioles probably want some upside in the deal. I would love to try and grab Dalquist but he was just drafted and I’m not sure if they’d move him. Dalquist and Steiver seems pretty close to fair. Going by Fangraphs FV valuations it’s not enough for Bundy, but Steiver improves his profile and Dalquist I’m higher on than Fangraphs.

Madrigal looks like he's ready or nearly ready (moved 3 levels and hit .330 at AAA).

He be a nice piece..... How would he compare to 2 years of Bundy?

8 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Duh

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Madrigal looks like he's ready or nearly ready (moved 3 levels and hit .330 at AAA).

He be a nice piece..... How would he compare to 2 years of Bundy?

He is worth a lot more than Bundy alone - it'd be like adding a Mini-Me Rutschman to answer our 2B question for his years of control.  I don't think the White Sox would trade him for Mancini, Givens, Bundy and Villar, anymore than we would trade Rutschman for that quartet if we were ready to compete.

But that said, I will enjoy if Elias can pull off bundling 2-3 of our 2020 pieces for one bluer chip.  I think Madrigal's beyond the pale, but for sure with the Padres/Angels/Rockies/Reds/Mets/Phillies aspirant type teams, I am looking at their 2nd-6th kind of prospects wondering if one could be pried loose, with Mancini a wildcard if he fits the other team and the 3rd/4th guy is from a strong system.  Bundy/Givens fit just about everyone.

San Diego's Luis Urias is like Madrigal a diminutive 2B where maybe a little bloom is off his rose, but who hits me as a get that might not necessarily be impossible if we aren't shy about a multiple veterans for one prospect structure.    I think 2020's probably the last year Jonathan Villar will be a better player than him, so he could even fit as a tertiary trade value piece who might help Preller keep his head on his shoulders.

Overall, I think it’s better to hold on to Bundy this offseason in the hopes he has a strong first half and enhances his trade value.    I don’t think he’d attract that big a return right now.   If he has an average (for him) first half, I think he’d still have close to the trade value he had today in July, when teams are more desperate to shore up their pitching.  

9 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Thanks....I said "and" but did mean "or".....your feedback is always great and spot-on!!!