Waiving/non-tendering Villar: pro or con?

Frobby

Do you approve Elias’ move of waiving Villar?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with putting Villar on waivers?

• I’m in favor
    • I’m against
    • Don’t know, but I’ll defer to Elias’ judgment

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/29/19 at 04:40

4 minutes ago, gtown said:

Right--10.4M saved...in profit. 

Seems worth the risk for a low payroll team.

Small market, rebuilding team. It's a formula. This direction was decided upon over a year and two thirds ago. It's just some folks are realizing what decision was made back then. And they would like to fire the owners for it. And that is their right. 

3 minutes ago, weams said:

Small market, rebuilding team. It's a formula. This direction was decided upon over a year and two thirds ago. It's just some folks are realizing what decision was made back then. And they would like to fire the owners for it. And that is their right. 

To feel that way. Never to do it. Fans don't have that power. 

6 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I’m fine with the direction.  Doesn’t mean I have to agree with every move.  If we get nothing for Villar and end up playing scrubs at 2B and SS, I will totally disagree with this one.

I think you have many folks in your corner.

Full disclosure - I said that I was 'against' this move.   I think if I was the GM my goal would be to tender him a contract and then spend the rest of the time up until July 2020 trying to move him for a good deal.   Now having said all that......

I think some of the outrage over this move is pretty far out there.  This is the direction of the team that we all knew was coming from the time Elias was hired.  They are going to tear down payroll.  We are going to lose a lot for awhile, while building up the system.   We don't know exactly how long it will take to get better, hopefully by 21-22 we see measurable improvement at the MLB level.

So no, this should not be a 'shock' to people.  Clearly we all KNOW we will not compete in 2020, so what is the big complaint?   That they will be losing 90-105 games in a 'less enjoyable manner' than if he was still on the roster?    So we are basically upset over "losing style points?"

I'll pass on that.  I will watch just as many games on TV as I would if Villar were still here (not as many as I used to in the Buck era, but more than this season I think), and I will go to just as many games in person (very few).  I support just about everything Elias has done since coming here, I just realized that directly watching the Orioles lose 100 times a year probably is not the best thing for my mental well-being.  I can follow from one degree away, and be just fine.

As people have said on here many times, you are free to trust the process that Elias has committed to, or not.  It's apparent that some folks here do not, despite seeing it work in other places.  Whether or not you believe in it, I would ask that you at least not act so shocked / stupefied when you see Elias make moves consistent with that approach.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Full disclosure - I said that I was 'against' this move.   I think if I was the GM my goal would be to tender him a contract and then spend the rest of the time up until July 2020 trying to move him for a good deal.   Now having said all that......

I think some of the outrage over this move is pretty far out there.  This is the direction of the team that we all knew was coming from the time Elias was hired.  They are going to tear down payroll.  We are going to lose a lot for awhile, while building up the system.   We don't know exactly how long it will take to get better, hopefully by 21-22 we see measurable improvement at the MLB level.

So no, this should not be a 'shock' to people.  Clearly we all KNOW we will not compete in 2020, so what is the big complaint?   That they will be losing 90-105 games in a 'less enjoyable manner' than if he was still on the roster?    So we are basically upset over "losing style points?"

I'll pass on that.  I will watch just as many games on TV as I would if Villar were still here (not as many as I used to in the Buck era, but more than this season I think), and I will go to just as many games in person (very few).  I support just about everything Elias has done since coming here, I just realized that directly watching the Orioles lose 100 times a year probably is not the best thing for my mental well-being.  I can follow from one degree away, and be just fine.

As people have said on here many times, you are free to trust the process that Elias has committed to, or not.  It's apparent that some folks here do not, despite seeing it work in other places.  Whether or not you believe in it, I would ask that you at least not act so shocked / stupefied when you see Elias make moves consistent with that approach.

I think that most who are upset are shocked the the numerical Villar does not translate to physical Villar value. Here or anywhere. 

13 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

You can’t possibly know this. 

I’m amazed at the number of people who assume this as if it’s a known fact.     I can’t say one way or the other if/how/when the money that would have been spent on Villar will be spent.    But at least it’s available.   

I'm not crazy about the move, but I understand why it is happening. If you are going to non-tender a player anyway because you can't apparently find a trade partner, why not give that player and his agent a few days to see if there is a team out there willing to put in a claim and go to arbitration with him. To me, based on what Villar did last year, that's a good move for him and a decent thing to do. If no one claims him and he become a free agent as he would after Monday anyway, well that speaks volumes. I go back to 1954. I don't like losing but i'm treating what we are going through as a rerun of the early years. I like following the youngsters! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, weams said:

How does this possibly fit that formula. Yes, I get it, small market, rebuild. I'm on board with that. What matters to such a team? Young MLB talent, prospects and tradeable assets. 

How does putting $10 million in the owners' pockets fit that formula? You're giving away a tradeable asset, one who could reasonably have significant value to a contender in July.

Just now, gtown said:

How does this possibly fit that formula. Yes, I get it, small market, rebuild. I'm on board with that. What matters to such a team? Young MLB talent, prospects and tradeable assets. 

How does putting $10 million in the owners' pockets fit that formula? You're giving away a tradeable asset, one who could reasonably have significant value to a contender in July.

Considering the lack of interest this offseason and last year at the deadline I don't think it is likely that he will have significant value.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’m amazed at the number of people who assume this as if it’s a known fact.     I can’t say one way or the other if/how/when the money that would have been spent on Villar will be spent.    But at least it’s available.   

Available?? The payroll is already low. Come on, don't tell me they can't afford to spend a bit to help the team in the furture.