Bundy traded to Angels for Isaac Mattson, Kyle Bradish, Zach Peek, and Kyle Brnovich

MurphDogg

45 minutes ago, weams said:

Every streetlight reveals the picture in reverse.
Still, it's so much clearer.

The walls are built up, stone by stone
The fields divided one by one

And the Angelos boys  said
"Make a trade,, Make a Trade".

We've been on this losing ways too long
And the Oriole GM says
We can reach our destination, but we're still a ways away"

Way to field a losing team
Way to put the fans  to sleep
We are still a long way away. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 7Mo said:

Eppler said almost exactly what you're saying here.

Baltimore had a number of names in mind. Those are the players they had targeted. As we kind of worked through the deal, that is how it evolved.

“If their approach was quantity, we were open to that. If their approach would have been one player and aiming somewhere different, we would have entertained that too. We kind of worked through the deal and this was ultimately where it went. We didn’t have a target list of guys we wanted to utilize in this trade. Those guys are talented. Quite frankly, you give up players you just recently drafted, that can go in a number of directions. Every deal hurts. This one is no different.”

I freaking love this kind of insight, commentary and honesty on transactions from GMs. The info that we have seen from Eppler here and Elias in the last few days has been really interesting. It's pretty neat to hear how some of these deals come together and the details involved. 

That's not a shot at Duquette; most GMs are not typically this open about how transactions are done. It's usually just vague statements that you really don't learn anything from. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, lovetoaster said:

I freaking love this kind of insight, commentary and honesty on transactions from GMs. The info that we have seen from Eppler here and Elias in the last few days has been really interesting. It's pretty neat to hear how some of these deals come together and the details involved. 

That's not a shot at Duquette; most GMs are not typically this open about how transactions are done. It's usually just vague statements that you really don't learn anything from. 

I agree. I enjoy the insight. 

14 minutes ago, MongoBoy said:

"talent level improving" interpretation: 

"We're getting rid of the bums."

I wonder how Bundy and Villar, and probably Mancini or any long time veteran, feel about that comment knowing they are being shopped.

I think Elias just means the talent level is improving in the minor league system. That's what this is all about anyway.

31 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

No one  would go. Don't go back to Rockville. Actually about Rockville NC and not MD.

That is what I thought but I read up on it and it is actually Rockville, MD.  Written about Mike Mill's girlfriend who left to go back to live with her parents in Rockville Md. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20091128193113/http://www.hermenaut.com/a135.shtml

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, MongoBoy said:

"talent level improving" interpretation: 

"We're getting rid of the bums."

I wonder how Bundy and Villar, and probably Mancini or any long time veteran, feel about that comment knowing they are being shopped.

I don't think that comment is about any particular player or group of players, but about the system as a whole. Honestly, it should make them feel good in a way, because they are the only pieces of value that we can use to help us improve the system. Maybe that's more for Bundy and a guy like Mancini more than Villar, but I think Elias' point is definitely valid. 

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

He did not not make a deal because he was under no pressure to make a deal. He didn't make a deal because no one offered him future value for Villar.  He basically says that right in the quotes. Could he have done marginally better than what he eventually got. Maybe.  Common sense tells us it wasn't a significant difference. Elias knew he was eventually be up against a deadline.  

Look we can go back and forth all night 

He should have felt some pressure to deal him if he knew he was going to Non tender him. I’ll concede that Perhaps the Angelos sons gave an order to cut payroll further.

You don’t know what he was offered anymore than I do. He got a fringe prospect and it’s hard to imagine that he didn’t get offered more. Again, I’ll concede that he might not have known a demand by the ownership group that would prevent him from tendering Villar.

I disagree with the common sense comment. Whatever he was offered at the deadline would clearly no look longer be on the table in the offseason. A deadline deal is for a player that can help you in a playoff run. 

True if he knew he was going to nontender Villar at the deadline. I’m not so sure he did! The Orioles payroll has been cut by more than 50%. The could’ve tendered him and didn’t over a few million dollars.

28 minutes ago, lovetoaster said:

I agree.

While not exactly in line with what you're saying, when the Red Sox hired Chaim Bloom, I read what I could find on him and the thing that struck me was the idea he was constantly in touch with about every other team regarding who they were willing to trade and who or what type of range they wanted back. 

It just struck me that these trade negotiations sometimes go on for months and months, sometimes reaching a deal but more often than not, no deal being reached but information shared throughout. 

Looking at the Eppler and Elias comments, it looks to me like Elias had fairly serious negotiations with a few teams that extended over months. That would be in line with what I seemed to pick up from the Bloom articles. 

Maybe that's obvious, or common sense but I just hadn't thought about it that way before. 

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Look we can go back and forth all night 

He should have felt some pressure to deal him if he knew he was going to Non tender him. I’ll concede that Perhaps the Angelos sons gave an order to cut payroll further.

You don’t know what he was offered anymore than I do. He got a fringe prospect and it’s hard to imagine that he didn’t get offered more. Again, I’ll concede that he might not have known a demand by the ownership group that would prevent him from tendering Villar.

I disagree with the common sense comment. Whatever he was offered at the deadline would clearly no look longer be on the table in the offseason. A deadline deal is for a player that can help you in a playoff run. 

True if he knew he was going to nontender Villar at the deadline. I’m not so sure he did! The Orioles payroll has been cut by more than 50%. The could’ve tendered him and didn’t over a few million dollars.

At the risk of being called a troll again, the point that I don't get with you is the implication that we should have overpaid for Villar just because (in your opinion) the team has money to burn. If you were a multimillionaire and paid twice as much as you thought everything was worth you wouldn't be a multimillionaire for very long. Personal feelings aside, overpaying for a player who's not part of the team's future in a rebuild year would have just been bad business. And before you make the argument about needing to fill seats, Villar wasn't going to significantly move the needed on team wins, and wins (not players) are what fill the seats. 2020 is/was going to suck with or without Villar on the roster. 

43 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

No one  would go. Don't go back to Rockville. Actually about Rockville NC and not MD.

Nice subtle REM reference. And it is actually about Rockville, MD. Michael Stipe had a female friend who was moving there. 

"(Don't Go Back To) Rockville" is the second and final single released by U.S. rock band R.E.M. from its second studio album Reckoning. The song failed to chart on either the Billboard Hot 100 or the UK Singles Charts.

The song was written by Mike Mills (credited to Berry/Buck/Mills/Stipe), in 1980, as a plea to his then girlfriend, Ingrid Schorr, not to return to Rockville, Maryland,[4] where her parents lived.[5][6] Schorr, who later became a journalist, has written about her amusement with the factual inaccuracies about her relationship with Mills and the background of the song that often appear in books about the band.[5] Peter Buck has stated that the song was originally performed in a punk/thrash style, and that it was recorded for this single in its now more-familiar country-inspired arrangement as a joke aimed at R.E.M. manager Bertis Downs.[7]

Over time, Mike Mills has taken over lead vocals instead of Michael Stipe when the band has played the song live. On R.E.M.'s appearance on VH1 Storytellers in 1998, Mills performed the song solo on piano. A live version of the song was released as the B-side to "Leaving New York" in 2004 and on R.E.M. Live in 2007.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You assume Elias felt no pressure to trade Villar because after the deadline he said he felt no pressure to do so. That's ridiculous. 

If nothing else, Elias is a guy who thinks things through. You said he showed his cards back in September regarding a non tender on Villar but now you are suggesting he didn't know he would have to non tender Villar at the trade deadline absent a trade. You are taking both forks in the road as long as it fits your narrative.

The poster liked Villar very very much. The poster has complete contempt for past present and future Orioles ownership. He is sad, and mad, and has many folks on his side of both those fences. It's difficult to keep fighting the fight as long as the fans don't run the Angelos family out of town and fan favorites are not forced to stay in Baltimore for part of the year.