O's sign INF Dilson Herrera to MiL deal

interloper

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Everyone thinks ML move but it's mil singing and the main reason is to fill in the roster at Norfolk with the outside hope that lightening strikes.

I don't see anyone thinking it's a ML deal. I think we all get it - but we know there's a high probability he makes the 26-man at some point even just as a fill-in for an injury. Or wins a spot out of ST. 

20 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

So 2019 AAA, do a little math, assume they deflate the MLB ball next year, that's about a .625 OPS in Baltimore, right?

His power looks pretty legit.    .176 ISO in the minors, .194 in the majors.     He also walks with reasonable frequency.    He hasn’t hit for average in his major league stints and has about a 30% K rate in the majors but only 20% in the minors.     Back pre-2015, he was ranked no. 46 prospect by BA.    Overall, he strikes me as a good guy to stash in AAA in case we have some injuries.   

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• It's fine for GRod to get a spot on the All-Star  team. I hope he doesn't warm up or pitch.
    • 1. From the beginning of time until roughly 1980 an average MLB game was somewhere between 1:50 and 2:30, all shorter than today's games with the pitch clock. It's not primarily the pitch clock. 2. Even if the pitch clock were to be shown to increase injuries by some some amount, do we really want to go back to a game where the average time is 3+ hours and increasing every year? The glacial pace of pre-clock baseball was killing interest in the sport. MLB had become a recurring meme online because it was sooooo slloooooowwww. I'll take 10% or 20% more injuries if it means we get a game that's played at a reasonable pace and gametimes in line with the other major sports that play multiple times a week.
    • I was joking.  Always make for a good laugh anytime Elias picks somebody up off the scrap heap.  I actually agree with you though, his numbers at times are pretty decent.  Not a bad depth piece, especially if we pull ahead of the Yankees and need someone to eat some innings late in the season.
    • Definitely agree on Gunnar swing timing — kinda looked like Cowser last night where late on FB and ahead of offspeed/breaking balls.  Was the same on Sunday too. Re: Kjerstad and high cheese. Keep in mind that Kirby has 99th percentile values for his fastball (and also per baseball savant, mostly locates it up in the zone).  It’s probably the best fastball in the game right now for SPs (edit, just looked it up, and only guy I see at 100 pitch value for FB is Crochet). 
    • Like I said the other day, it would be nice to hear from some scouts, the org or whoever about all the walks, lack of power, lack of BA, etc…is he tweaking things? Is the elbow bothering him to where he can’t drive the ball? Is he getting nothing to hit?     I’m surprised someone from the Banner hasn’t gotten into this because it’s obviously a big story and one that should be reported on.  
    • One thing to note is that Jackson made swing tweaks his first three weeks back in Norfolk but then abandoned them because they “didn’t feel great”. From this Baltimore Banner article:  “Earlier, as he fiddled, Holliday felt he was “surviving” and “didn’t feel great” about where his swing was, even though he produced at the Triple-A level upon his return. That has since changed. Over the last two weeks, particularly, Holliday’s return to the mechanics he’s more familiar with has helped him get back on track.” His contact rate really dropped off when he reverted back to his familiar mechanics. I worry that he gave up on the changes too soon. First three weeks back vs. after (includes tracked pitches and non-bunts)   PAs    K%           wOBA  xwOBA whiff % 4/27-5/18 91 19.8% .366 .349 21.6% 5/19-7/2 118 28.8% .392 .337 32.1%     PAs    EV      hard hit % barrel/PA 4/27-5/18 91 89.5 44.4% 4.4% 5/19-7/2 118 89.8 44.6% 4.2%
    • Sure. And his ligaments would have likely snapped, and he'd have put that college degree to good use instead of being a ballplayer. Or he would have thrown at 90% like most everyone else and topped out with Cedar Rapids in the Three-I League.
  • Popular Contributors