Adam Jones signs 2-year deal with Orix Buffaloes

MurphDogg

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Someone like Mountcastle should force this nonsense to end by signing a one year deal in Japan.  Or the minor league players should start their own union. 

I'm quite sure that MLB has agreements, either written or implied, with NPB, KBO and the Taiwan leagues, and an explicit one with the Mexican League, that prevents those leagues from signing players under MLB control.  The minute a Japanese team signed a player controlled by MLB they'd declare all such agreements null and void, and MLB teams would be free to use their much larger budgets to poach NPB stars currently under contract there. 

And maybe @Frobby knows the language in the standard player contract but I'm guessing there's language that prohibits league jumping.  In the 1940s some players jumped to the Mexican League and were blackballed by MLB for years.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I guess you haven’t heard of MLB’s antitrust exemption and how things worked in baseball before there was a union.     It’s ludicrous to think a union isn’t needed to protect the players’ interests.   

Player: Hey, boss, I hit .320 with 33 homers and 133 RBI last year.  Can I have a $10k raise?

Owner: You hit .322 the year before, you were slacking off, I'm going to cut your salary $5k.

Player: What, that's no fair.  I'm going to hold out.

Owner: You just try that and I'll go to the press with what a selfish ingrate you are.

Player: Okay, sir.

Six weeks later he breaks his leg, and he's released with no severance, no health insurance.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm quite sure that MLB has agreements, either written or implied, with NPB, KBO and the Taiwan leagues, and an explicit one with the Mexican League, that prevents those leagues from signing players under MLB control.  The minute a Japanese team signed a player controlled by MLB they'd declare all such agreements null and void, and MLB teams would be free to use their much larger budgets to poach NPB stars currently under contract there. 

And maybe @Frobby knows the language in the standard player contract but I'm guessing there's language that prohibits league jumping.  In the 1940s some players jumped to the Mexican League and were blackballed by MLB for years.

Remember how much grief the O's got for signing Kim Seong-min?  He wasn't even under contract with anyone at the time.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why would anyone draft a HS player if they know they won't have control over them past three years in the minors?  You'd have to be a fool.

Also no NPB team would ever dream of signing someone that already has a contract with a ML team.

As for the minor leaguers forming a union?  Who is going to pay their bills while they strike?  I think the ML owners would be more than happy to shut down minor league baseball for a year or two.

Change service time from 26 man to 40 man. Rule 5 already has an age discrimination baked it. Change from abritation system to an RFA system. Let the market decide value over some committee. Restrictions rules can be molded to mirror aspects to escalating levels that each arb currently has. Min and max salaries, or whatever.

You wouldn't be pawning off Villar for some 14th round scrub. You would let another teams interest decide his salary and choose to keep or maybe get draft pick comp choice. There would be no point in holding back Mouncastle as he's on the 40 man.

Just spitballing ideas here. I'm sure there are obvious flaws to the model

53 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I guess you haven’t heard of MLB’s antitrust exemption and how things worked in baseball before there was a union.     It’s ludicrous to think a union isn’t needed to protect the players’ interests.   

A simple google search next time might be in order before you post a snooty post.

"This option was not available to the players in 1994-95. At that time, baseball's unique antitrust exemption meant that once the parties reached a bargaining impasse, the players' only choices were to strike or to operate under the owners' proposal. One provision of the 1996 CBA was an agreement that the owners and players would jointly ask Congress to eliminate baseball's special antitrust exemption with respect to labor matters. The result was the "Curt Flood Act of 1998," which for the first time gave members of the MLBPA the same legal rights enjoyed by their football and basketball counterparts. One of these rights is the opportunity to invoke the antitrust laws against anticompetitive conduct. Although the labor exemption to the antitrust laws allows multi-employer groups in the same industry to negotiate a single CBA covering all of their employees, the exemption applies only as long as a collective bargaining relationship exists. Once the workers decertify their union, each employer must negotiate individually with its employees and prospective employees."

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I have heard and read at length about those things. This isn't 1920. There are many other checks and balances now.

Saying the players absolutely need a Union is ridiculous. In this day and age? 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

I have heard and read at length about those things. This isn't 1920. There are many other checks and balances now.

Saying the players absolutely need a Union is ridiculous. In this day and age? 

Yes, because the anti-trust exemption still exist.  You are confusing a competitive job markets lack of need for a union for a specialized field that one corporation dominates the vast majority of market.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Scalious said:

Yes, because the anti-trust exemption still exist.  You are confusing a competitive job markets lack of need for a union for a specialized field that one corporation dominates the vast majority of market.

Sorry I wasn't clear. Get rid of that too.

36 minutes ago, Scalious said:

If Baseball, and for that matter all sports aren't competitive job markets then what is? Get rid of the AT exemption, the Draft and the Union. Let the players hire a Agent or Lawyer and get the best deal. I have no problem with getting paid what you're worth. 

49 minutes ago, Scalious said:

It doesn't exist for labor.  Did you not read my post. 

1 hour ago, Satyr3206 said:

Sorry I wasn't clear. Get rid of that too.

Well congress expressed their displeasure about trimming minor league teams. If MLB keeps making moves that cuts jobs and milks voting taxpayers on stadium deals, congresses opinion on that could change.

Especially if MLB teams experience attendance decline and the local businesses no longer profit. On the other hand. 10.7 B revenue gives you room to make in rain in the lobby halls of DC.

Edited by Scalious

4 minutes ago, Scalious said:

Well congress expressed their displeasure about trimming minor league teams. If MLB keeps making moves that cuts jobs and milks voting taxpayers on stadium deals, congresses opinion on that could change.

Especially if MLB teams experience attendance decline and the local businesses no longer profit. On the other hand. 10.7 B revenue gives you room to make in rain in the lobby halls of DC.

Eh 104 out of 535.

• Upvote 1