Rule 5: Brandon Bailey - RHP -Astros

baltfan

13 minutes ago, Philip said:

I understand it but I’m a very visual person and I want to make sure I can visualize the effect properly. I was complimenting Luke. Don’t make it something unintended.

Easy now. I was just joking with you. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

I was just poking fun at Phillip but I'd be happy to hear your explanation.

So picture a baseball that has bullet spin, and just goes straight in the direction it’s thrown, not affected by gravity. 

If you compare that pitch with a pitch that has perfect backspin, at a 12 o’clock angle, it will arrive directly above the first pitch, the amount of rise will be dependent on the rate which it spins. The more spin the more rise. 

Now in real life, all pitches are affected by gravity so instead of rise, it just falls less. Also most 4S fastballs don’t have perfect backspin, they usually spin at a 12:30 to 2:30 o’clock angle for RHP if you are watching from behind the mound. Which imparts both rise and armside movement.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

So picture a baseball that has bullet spin, and just goes straight in the direction it’s thrown, not affected by gravity. 

If you compare that pitch with a pitch that has perfect backspin, at a 12 o’clock angle, it will arrive directly above the first pitch, the amount of rise will be dependent on the rate which it spins. The more spin the more rise. 

Now in real life, all pitches are affected by gravity so instead of rise, it just falls less. Also most 4S fastballs don’t have perfect backspin, they usually spin at a 12:30 to 2:30 o’clock angle for RHP if you are watching from behind the mound. Which imparts both rise and armside movement.

There's an article on the Athletic by Jake Kaplan talking at length about Brandon Bailey and the Astros developmental program.

To mirror what you're saying, from that article, 2 recent college draftees are playing catch the first day after being drafted by the Astros and their throws are tailing here and there, "sloppy" in their words. But with the Astros teaching backspin, within weeks, the side spin is gone and the "carry" or "hop" is there, straight and true.

I haven't had the opportunity to scout like you have nor do I have the depth of experience. But I've caught guys with that backspin where you watch the arm, you think you recognize the speed, and then it jumps on you. 

Thanks for the explanation.

And during the time I was typing this, the link to the article is posted above.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

The physics has been known for a long time that there is no such thing as a "rising fastball." Oh, yes, it can look like it is rising... Wish I could find out the Bauer Units of a young Cakes fastball. 

Question: Do you think that a 90+ pitcher can actually make a damaged ball rise? Maybe make a cut in the ball's leather with a belt buckle or other sharp object near a seam and throw a fastball @ 3:00 o'clock to effect measurable, true rise on its way from the mound to the plate?

2 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

The physics has been known for a long time that there is no such thing as a "rising fastball." Oh, yes, it can look like it is rising... Wish I could find out the Bauer Units of a young Cakes fastball. 

Question: Do you think that a 90+ pitcher can actually make a damaged ball rise? Maybe make a cut in the ball's leather with a belt buckle or other sharp object near a seam and throw a fastball @ 3:00 o'clock to effect measurable, true rise on its way from the mound to the plate?

ODayRiser.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Sure doesn't sound like a hack job from Connolly, to me.

The narrative that he’s got an anti-management agenda (Angelos or Elias) is off base in my opinion.    I’ve been reading Connolly for many years.    I don’t always agree with his opinions but he takes issues case by case in my experience.    

3 hours ago, Philip said:

I understand it but I’m a very visual person and I want to make sure I can visualize the effect properly. I was complimenting Luke. Don’t make it something unintended.

Koji Uehara's fastball had a really high spin rate, if you remember that. Radar gun would say 89 but hitters reacted like it was 99.

Two guys that both can go multi innings and will help the depth of the MLB staff next year. Elias has really improved the depth of pitching in the org since last June’s draft. It’s going to be noticeable from Delmarva - Baltimore, with Baltimore lagging behind, but we’re going to see some really deep milb staff’s to give us hope for the future. 

Edited by sportsfan8703