Your favorite Bad Orioles Team roster

Moose Milligan

I think we're all pretty bored around here and there's not much to chew on.

If you've been on this site for a significant amount of time, you've probably had some interaction with other posters about players who've suited up for the Orioles that were bad but you loved them anyway.  Loveable guys that just weren't great ballplayers but there was something about them that made you like them.  

So the challenge here is to construct a roster (or at least a starting lineup, spend as much time on this as you want) of former bad Orioles.  And if you want, a little blurb about them and why they're on your squad.  Since we're here with @DrungoHazewood, all Orioles teams are up for consideration from the early versions of the team to everything after 1954.  

The only rule is that your team can only have ONE player that made an all-star team and no gold glovers.  I don't want any dolts picking Belanger simply because he couldn't hit.  In regards to the one all-star team rule, I'm specifically thinking of Ty Wigginton.  

So have at it, craft a 25 man team or simply go 1-9.  

EDIT:  Also, no players from other teams that were once great but finished out their career here.  Like no Dwight Evans.  Or no players that sucked here that went on to find greatness elsewhere like Jose Bautista. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think we're all pretty bored around here and there's not much to chew on.

If you've been on this site for a significant amount of time, you've probably had some interaction with other posters about players who've suited up for the Orioles that were bad but you loved them anyway.  Loveable guys that just weren't great ballplayers but there was something about them that made you like them.  

So the challenge here is to construct a roster (or at least a starting lineup, spend as much time on this as you want) of former bad Orioles.  And if you want, a little blurb about them and why they're on your squad.  Since we're here with Drungo, all Orioles teams are up for consideration from the early versions of the team to everything after 1954.  

The only rule is that your team can only have ONE player that made an all-star team and no gold glovers.  I don't want any dolts picking Belanger simply because he couldn't hit.  In regards to the one all-star team rule, I'm specifically thinking of Ty Wigginton.  

So have at it, craft a 25 man team or simply go 1-9.  

You know, Willie Keeler never made an All Star game or won a Gold Glove...

• Upvote 1

It’s hard to draw the line as to who was “bad.”     I’m going to say career value under 3 WAR.   

C - Dave Skaggs (0.1)

1B - Tony Muser (-1.1)

2B - Billy Smith (2.9)

SS - Robert Andino (2.2)

3B - Craig Worthington (2.8)

LF - Bennie Ayala (1.0)

RF - Terry Crowley (2.2)

CF - John Shelby (3.2)*

DH - Sam Horn (2.3)

RHP - Dave Johnson (-0.4)

LHP - Jeff Ballard (-1.3)

RP - Dave Leonhard (2.4)

* OK, so I fudged my 3 WAR standard just a little.     

I look at these and think "well, he wasn't bad, he just wasn't all that good."  But, I think that's the nature of these lists.  You have to be pretty good just to make the majors.  The fact that most of us probably remember every one of these players means that they probably weren't terrible and were good enough to stick around for a little while.

Just now, NCRaven said:

LHP - Jeff Ballard (-1.3)

On a side note, I took batting practice off of Ballard during the Orioles fantasy camp in Feb '96.  May have been the worst batting practice in baseball history.  There is a reason I topped out in rec ball.  But, it was great fun.

• Upvote 2

I'll give it a go. I don't know if they are all especially bad as opposed to not consistently good but they did for within the parameters of the OP. I'm confident that this team could more than hold their own against the currently constructed team, which is pretty sad. Would definitely take my team's rotation over today's. 

C Sal Fasano (GOAT, the mustache not the skills)

1b Mark Reynolds (the memes, the toe, the power)

2b Billy Ripken (the little Ripken that couldn't, greaat commentator though)

3B Ryan Flaherty (he gave it his all on some good teams)

SS Richie Martin (very likeable and his skill set is fun if not good)

LF Luke Scott (shared the same name and love the Luuuuuuke chant)

CF Luis Matos (always seemed like he was on the verge of being good, the flashes were fun)

RF Corey Patterson (liked his speed and defense, probably should be in CF but not like this team is competing for the playoffs)

DH Pedro Alvarez (1x All Star appearance with the Pirates, don't get the warm fuzziest when I think of him but that first year with us felt like he did some damage)

Utility Robert Andino (2011 game 162)

OF David Newhan (remember the Homer in his first game and the inside the Parker in Boston, was fun while it lasted)

OF He who shall not be named (Lew Ford)

C Caleb Joseph (very likeable, funny moments and quotes, seemed like a solid leader for someone without much talent)

P Jeremy Guthrie (what a breath of fresh air in comparison to all the other junk we were throwing out there)

P Miguel Gonzalez (ice water in his veins when on the mound but super friendly off of it, have a hard time putting him on list of "bad" players because he was very effective for us)

P Daniel Cabrera (in an alternate reality he became the best pitcher in baseball)

P Brad Bergensen (F'n MASN)

P Rodrigo Lopez (the kid version of me thought he was going to be a star)

RP Buddy Groom (was old but effective)

RP Chris Ray (wish things would have worked out differently for him too)

RP Steve Johnson (the lineage of "bad" but likeable player is kind of cool)

RP David Hernandez 

RP Tommy Hunter (my first image of him is when MASN cut to him when they were celebrating the 2016 wild card berth and he started cursing, funny stuff)

RP Dennis Sarfarte (when Gary Thorne is on PBP)

RP Travis Driskill (liked that he wore glasses on the mound)

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

LF Jeff Stone - Finished that for you.

Here's the final list:

C Clint Courtney, J.R. House, Paul Bako

1B Mark Reynolds, Walter Young,Walt Dropo, Calvin Pickering

2B Ryan Faherty, Robert Andino

SS Willie Miranda, Freddie Bynum, Casar Izturis, Louis Hernandez

3B Wilson Betemit, Mark  Reynolds

LF  Felix Pie

CF Corey Patterson, Louis Terrero, Lous Matos

RF  Jim Pyburn, Jeff Fiorentino

DH Jack Cust

P  Art Ceccarelli

LF was tough: Jon Knott, Lew Ford, Hyun Soo Kim, Henry Urretia, Val Majewski, Lous Montanez, Larry Bigbie, Brandon Fahey, etc,

Edited by El Gordo
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Darkhawk said:

I'll give it a go. I don't know if they are all especially bad as opposed to not consistently good but they did for within the parameters of the OP. I'm confident that this team could more than hold their own against the currently constructed team, which is pretty sad. Would definitely take my team's rotation over today's. 

C Sal Fasano (GOAT, the mustache not the skills)

1b Mark Reynolds (the memes, the toe, the power)

2b Billy Ripken (the little Ripken that couldn't, greaat commentator though)

3B Ryan Flaherty (he gave it his all on some good teams)

SS Richie Martin (very likeable and his skill set is fun if not good)

LF Luke Scott (shared the same name and love the Luuuuuuke chant)

CF Luis Matos (always seemed like he was on the verge of being good, the flashes were fun)

RF Corey Patterson (liked his speed and defense, probably should be in CF but not like this team is competing for the playoffs)

DH Pedro Alvarez (1x All Star appearance with the Pirates, don't get the warm fuzziest when I think of him but that first year with us felt like he did some damage)

Utility Robert Andino (2011 game 162)

OF David Newhan (remember the Homer in his first game and the inside the Parker in Boston, was fun while it lasted)

OF He who shall not be named (Lew Ford)

C Caleb Joseph (very likeable, funny moments and quotes, seemed like a solid leader for someone without much talent)

P Jeremy Guthrie (what a breath of fresh air in comparison to all the other junk we were throwing out there)

P Miguel Gonzalez (ice water in his veins when on the mound but super friendly off of it, have a hard time putting him on list of "bad" players because he was very effective for us)

P Daniel Cabrera (in an alternate reality he became the best pitcher in baseball)

P Brad Bergensen (F'n MASN)

P Rodrigo Lopez (the kid version of me thought he was going to be a star)

RP Buddy Groom (was old but effective)

RP Chris Ray (wish things would have worked out differently for him too)

RP Steve Johnson (the lineage of "bad" but likeable player is kind of cool)

RP David Hernandez 

RP Tommy Hunter (my first image of him is when MASN cut to him when they were celebrating the 2016 wild card berth and he started cursing, funny stuff)

RP Dennis Sarfarte (when Gary Thorne is on PBP)

RP Travis Driskill (liked that he wore glasses on the mound)

Some of these guys are too good to be on a “bad Orioles” list.    In particular:

Guthrie 17.8 rWAR

Scott 11.9 rWAR

Gonzalez 10.5 rWAR

Patterson 9.7 rWAR

Of the 208 players who debuted in 2004, Guthrie ranks 18th in rWAR.    I realize the OP was a little loosy-goosy with its definition, but if we’re going to include Guthrie, we may as well name Erik Bedard (17.3 rWAR) and Chris Tillman (9.3).