Alberto avoids arbitration, signs for $1.65M

MurphDogg

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

Not sure why Alberto and Castro are settling for such little money. Maybe their agents didn't want to travel to Baltimore and hire attorney for their share of $250k.

The MLBPA's longtime arbitration coordinator stepped down in July. Craig Calcaterra speculates that this could lead to more management friendly settlements this year.

Oh, and there’s another thing some of you who follow the labor landscape closely might remember: last July when there was some union drama, with Tony Clark pushing out longtime MLBPA attorney Rick Shapiro. From what I understand that was all tied up in vision/strategy for the MLBPA vis-a-vis CBA negotiations. There are at least two sides to every story and I’ve heard at least three in this one, so just know it was kind of a mess.

Whatever it really was, though, one thing is clear: Rick Shapiro was THE GUY at the union who coordinated arbitration cases for the players. There are many capable union lawyers there who work with arbitration, but Shapiro was, without question, the guy who quarterbacked all of it. Him not being around for arbitration season for the first time in years and years cannot be great for the players, the agents and the attorneys who all work together on these things. It would not shock me if his absence has a major impact on this year’s arbitration season, almost certainly in a way that benefits the clubs as opposed to the players.

• Upvote 1

That’s a great success for a guy who had had such a struggle before we got him. Good for him!

Over a million bucks? More than twice what you made last year? I think they have much cause for rejoicing, even if they might have gotten a bit more by forcing the issue.

Edited by Philip
Addendum