Chris Davis, 2020

Frobby

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

It really doesn't. It's pretty easy to write a hefty check when you make as much as he does. It's a tax write off. It's much harder to not be a d-bag when the camera's on you if that's who you really are. 

I think this one is really just a matter of opinion. For me, I sort of understand if you've failed for 3 straight years and having something get under your skin and you snap at someone. No punches were thrown and it blew over quickly. I just don't think it was that big of a deal - it's just not something we see a lot from the guy so it was shocking.

It's easy to write a check, yes, but he visits the hospitals regularly, he's set up a whole charity. He works at it and he appears to actually care about that specific charitable avenue. 

It's just going to be a matter of opinion whether or not you see him as a good guy. I think, based on everything we know, he's probably a good guy. It's fine if you disagree, though, and I get it.

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm not sure I've ever even raised my voice to someone in the work place. Even that seems wildly inappropriate to me in a corporate setting. 

Of course. But this is sports. None of us can even begin to relate to being in a professional sports environment. I'm not excusing the behavior - it was disappointing - but I don't judge the character of the guy based on that one incident when his emotions got the best of him. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think this one is really just a matter of opinion. For me, I sort of understand if you've failed for 3 straight years and having something get under your skin and you snap at someone. No punches were thrown and it blew over quickly. I just don't think it was that big of a deal - it's just not something we see a lot from the guy so it was shocking.

It's easy to write a check, yes, but he visits the hospitals regularly, he's set up a whole charity. He works at it and he appears to actually care about that specific charitable avenue. 

It's just going to be a matter of opinion whether or not you see him as a good guy. I think, based on everything we know, he's probably a good guy. It's fine if you disagree, though, and I get it.

The only reason I'm even bringing up his character is because of his potential impact/influence on the younger players. He might be a good guy out of uniform, but is he really the type of veteran leader we want in the clubhouse? Someone who's stubborn, refuses to change, openly confronts coaches, etc. I worry about that poison seeping into the minds of the next generation of Oriole stars. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Of course. But this is sports. None of us can even begin to relate to being in a professional sports environment. I'm not excusing the behavior - it was disappointing - but I don't judge the character of the guy based on that one incident when his emotions got the best of him. 

It just spoke volumes to me that his first reaction was physical. Short of Hyde insulting his mother, wife, or children there are no words that should have elicited that type of response from a grown man. It just plays into the weight room / meathead stereotype. 

3 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

The only reason I'm even bringing up his character is because of his potential impact/influence on the younger players. He might be a good guy out of uniform, but is he really the type of veteran leader we want in the clubhouse? Someone who's stubborn, refuses to change, openly confronts coaches, etc. I worry about that poison seeping into the minds of the next generation of Oriole stars. 

We agree that the team is better off with Chris Davis off the roster. 

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

This is sports sounds like an excuse.

I was in the service, I didn't act that way.  No one acted that way with superiors.

Why do athletes get an exemption?

11 hours ago, scOtt said:

Well we all hope...

But it is what it is. He's on the team. He has to get ready to play, just like everyone else. :noidea:

I hope he rebounds ...but I’m doubtful. To things will help him.

1) and uptick in reaction time (doubtful without drugs)

2) confidence (if he doesn’t start fast you can forget about it)