Roch on Power Alley

weams

51 minutes ago, Frobby said:

4.45 ERA in his MiL career.    Meh.

Ehhh I think you're maybe writing him off too quick. He walks too many guys is his main issue. I think we could tweak his pitch selection and maybe get a few more Ks out of him. Pretty live arm:

https://www.mlb.com/video/latkins-k-s-odor

He also survived 23 innings in the AL East better than Phillips survived his 28. Small sample, but it's not nothing. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, weams said:

Said they had room for a 40 pitcher  

https://twitter.com/pwsullivan/status/1223334845172064257?s=21

Also on Xm Sirius Power Alley

With Jim Duquette and Jim Bowden. 

Say nominally that John Angelos is running the O’s. Actually it is Mike Elias with full control, a prerequisite of him coming to Baltimore. 

If that is true, then what is his excuse for keeping Davis around? If he says that they think Davis can come back he’s lying because that ship sailed three years ago.

20 minutes ago, Philip said:

If that is true, then what is his excuse for keeping Davis around? If he says that they think Davis can come back he’s lying because that ship sailed three years ago.

I have no reason to doubt what Roch said to a national audience was true. He had no reason to give a false perspective.  

I have no idea why Davis is around. Maybe because they don’t need his 40 spot yet. 

53 minutes ago, weams said:

I have no reason to doubt what Roch said to a national audience was true. He had no reason to give a false perspective.  

I have no idea why Davis is around. Maybe because they don’t need his 40 spot yet. 

I did not insinuate that the guy was lying, although never forget, he is a company man. However, the question remains valid. If Mike is in control of Davis, why is Davis still here, when it is obvious that one, the money is spent, and two, Davis isn’t going to get better. He is nothing but an embarrassment.

edit: and we can ALWAYS use an extra roster spot. When a spot is held by a useless player, anybody else, regardless of position, would be an improvement.

Edited by Philip

4 hours ago, Philip said:

I did not insinuate that the guy was lying, although never forget, he is a company man. However, the question remains valid. If Mike is in control of Davis, why is Davis still here, when it is obvious that one, the money is spent, and two, Davis isn’t going to get better. He is nothing but an embarrassment.

edit: and we can ALWAYS use an extra roster spot. When a spot is held by a useless player, anybody else, regardless of position, would be an improvement.

Davis doesn’t hurt the Orioles chances at finishing dead last. They have to pay him anyway and there is no sense moving him until the goal is winning.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Philip said:

I am not saying that they shouldn't have cut bait with Davis long ago, but as of today there is no reason they shouldn't look at him through spring training. And they will probably keep him into the start of the year just hoping he gets it back. If he does, then it's great. If he doesn't then guys are having to earn their way up for a few months and the O's are buying some service time.

• Thanks 1

On 1/31/2020 at 4:40 PM, weams said:

Because Elias doesn’t have full control.

Davis takes a major league spot and 200+ PAs away from a guy they could give a look to, so he is hurting the team's future.

There are a lot of fringe guys at 1B/DH/OF who deserve a shot over Davis. Not to mention, they could have used his roster spot on a guy like Greg Bird or Domingo Santana to see if they can put it together.

12 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

Davis takes a major league spot and 200+ PAs away from a guy they could give a look to, so he is hurting the team's future.

There are a lot of fringe guys at 1B/DH/OF who deserve a shot over Davis. Not to mention, they could have used his roster spot on a guy like Greg Bird or Domingo Santana to see if they can put it together.

This is only true if you are not picking a guy up or not bringing a guy up with Davis being the only reason.

Most of the major league roster is a bunch of spare parts and mediocre or fringe major league types. They are being slow to call up prospects due to starting the clock.

The plan is to lose... period! Finishing with or as close to the worst record. Davis aids in that endeavor.