John Means 2020

Frobby

o

(vs. YANKEES, 7/30)

Means ceded 3 Free Passes (2 Hit Batsmen and 1 Walk) in the very 1st inning, in which he spotted the Yankees 5 runs.

He pitched 1.33 additional shutout innings before giving way to Travis Clay "T.C." Lakins.

o

I thought the stuff (even besides the velocity) looked pretty good. If that is his new norm velocity, then once he gets his command and feel back, he could be a real nice rotation piece on the next contending O's team.

46 minutes ago, canonfaz said:

I thought the stuff (even besides the velocity) looked pretty good. If that is his new norm velocity, then once he gets his command and feel back, he could be a real nice rotation piece on the next contending O's team.

Or at the very least he's a really intriguing add for a team looking for pitching (and willing to part with high-end prospects)

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

With all the high tech equipment and expertise Elias brought into the organization Means finds 3+ MPH throwing into a mattress during quarantine?

He could have been practicing changes recommended by the staff based on the results from the high tech approach.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I would think he would have mentioned it but maybe not.

Just thinking that if he was practicing a change that he made to his delivery, the idea to make the change had to come from somewhere.  Did he come up with it himself or was it a coaching suggestion?  You're right in that he doesn't really say.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Westburg, Urias and Mountcastle are coming back.  We will have better infield defense and much better RH hitting options.  O'Hearn can go back to being a platoon player or pinch hitter.   The O's team that goes to the playoffs will be better than the O's team we've watched lately.    Jordan Westburg would have turned that double play today.  
    • I think reasonable to question why not send Holliday on Gunnar double, forcing DET to make quality throw home on a fast runner and worst case have Gunnar at 3rd with one out.  Then on subsequent play, given Os general philosophy on running on contact when infield grounder with runner on 3rd, why not have Holliday dash to home, again making DET make quality throw with worst case Gunnar again at 3rd base one out.  In retrospect, I am confused at both of these, even if low probability of scoring, seems like should take those chances when only need one run to win the game. 
    • This is an emotional reaction and a terrible one at that. Mansilini is not a problem on this team. And the pop fly with Jackson Holliday on 3rd, he should not have been sent home because the Feilder make a heck of a catch and they instantly threw the ball to the 3rd basemen. If Jackson would have tagged, he would have either gotten gotten himself thrown out at the plate, or been caught in a run down. Tell him to tag up would have been foolish.
    • So I guess you won’t be watching, right?
    • Special K is a reference to Ketamine.  You know, you could have said, Can, I did not know it was a drug reference, I can see why you would be opposed to that.  Instead you accuse me of insinuating that you have a drug habit. Do you think that giving a player the same nickname as a very common street name of a drug is a good idea? But your default reaction to any sort of criticism is to attack the person that has the audacity to question you, well that and to harp on how old you are as if that is relevant information.
    • I agree with those moves, but I could also see Elias and Hyde wanting to keep Holliday on the roster for the rest of the season and the playoffs to get some experience since he's going to be a core part of the team for what will hopefully be multiple playoff runs. I'd understand that line of thinking, and would be fine with it. But I do think Holliday should be on the bench the rest of the way in that scenario.  The only move I desperately want to see is Eloy released. He's such a bad player and such an insult to good baseball. I'll be relieved when he's gone. 
  • Popular Contributors