Davis is definitley jacked this year...

Sir_Loin

Commentators also say that UMD Bball player Jalen Smith added 25lbs in the offseason.  I doubt he's on roids.  The truth is that 25lbs sounds good, most likely they both added muscle, but it wasn't 25 lbs.  Plus Davis has always been a big dude with a big frame.  That's a lot of places to add muscle mass.  

25lbs is a good attention grabbing talking point.  More than likely it's an exaggeration.  

Plus the avg adult's weight fluctuates up to 5-6lbs a day depending on how much you eat/drink.  Davis is clearly much bigger than the avg adult.  I'm sure after a grueling 162 game season, compared to now, his weight increase is completely achievable.  Even if it truly is 25lbs.  

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

So in reading between the lines of your post what he did this offseason did absolutely nothing to make him a better baseball player. It's like prepping for the Bar Exam by learning to play guitar because you like music more than studying. Work ethic applies to "work". The titles right there in phrase. Lifting weights 24/7 for four months because he likes it does nothing to demonstrate work ethic. In fact it's quite the contrary because he's putting off what he should be doing to do something he likes to do. 

I think he’s delusional and stubborn. I think he believes that his swing is what it is, it isn’t the problem, and/or you can’t teach an old dog like him new tricks. I think he knows he lost much of his ability to make contact and even when he does the shift hurts him, so his only chance at production is guessing and making sure when he does hit it he has more power, something he’s lost the past few years. Under that thought process strength does in fact impact his ability to be better.

We don’t really need to argue anymore about it though, none of us are in his head. I do disagree that getting stronger does absolutely nothing to make someone a better hitter, although it certainly won’t be enough in this case. 

15 hours ago, atomic said:

None of the articles have any mention of scientific studies about muscle gain in body weight.  They are pretty much worthless opinion pieces.  The only thing even remotely fact related mentioned in the articles is this:  

“The Colgan Institute of Nutritional Sciences (located in San Diego, Calif.) run by Dr Michael Colgan PH.D., a leading sport nutritionist explains that in his extensive experience, the most muscle gain he or any of his colleagues have recorded over a year was 18 1/4 lbs. Dr Colgan goes on to state that "because of the limiting rate of turnover in the muscle cells it is impossible to grow more than an ounce of new muscle each day.”

So according to your own article you can’t gain more than a pound in 16 days.  And NFL players use HGH and steroids.  It is very common in fact. There is no Miracle that pro athletes have access to.  Most of this stuff comes down to genetics in gain rate.  Not super training facilities. 

First portion, yes they do.  Mens health article includes several PHd and researchers, bodybuilding.com references a few, including one you mentioned, and Mens journal.  

Secondly, if you post quotes, you should post the following to that, the author's note "Keep in mind that high-level athletes are the subjects of these studies."  Which another article I don't remember states muscle growth decreases as you progress.  

As we have all noted, Davis has dropped in size since 2017.  He was lazy, cashed it in.  As the workoutroutine article states it is easy to regrow muscle from memory/regrowth.  Seriously, you aren't reading, you cherry pick, and you still have yet to provide anything other than your observations at a regular gym to provide a counterargument, so until you provide something substantive, we are done.

2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

So in reading between the lines of your post what he did this offseason did absolutely nothing to make him a better baseball player. It's like prepping for the Bar Exam by learning to play guitar because you like music more than studying. Work ethic applies to "work". The titles right there in phrase. Lifting weights 24/7 for four months because he likes it does nothing to demonstrate work ethic. In fact it's quite the contrary because he's putting off what he should be doing to do something he likes to do. 

I used to use another analogy for weightlifting and baseball players. It's like a swordsman throwing rocks around to get better at swordplay.

It may help you swing a heavier sword at some point but it does nothing for the fine motor skills needed. Functional training like swinging Indian clubs is a way better use of time for a ballplayer IMO.

16 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I haven't seen anything from the O's saying he has.  The quote I saw was that he gained 25 pounds.

I have analyzed the spring training photos of Crush and I can definitely state using my advanced system of "photo metrics" that he has "only" put on 13.639 lbs. of muscle over the off season.  You're welcome.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Commentators also say that UMD Bball player Jalen Smith added 25lbs in the offseason.  I doubt he's on roids.  The truth is that 25lbs sounds good, most likely they both added muscle, but it wasn't 25 lbs.  Plus Davis has always been a big dude with a big frame.  That's a lot of places to add muscle mass.  

25lbs is a good attention grabbing talking point.  More than likely it's an exaggeration.  

Plus the avg adult's weight fluctuates up to 5-6lbs a day depending on how much you eat/drink.  Davis is clearly much bigger than the avg adult.  I'm sure after a grueling 162 game season, compared to now, his weight increase is completely achievable.  Even if it truly is 25lbs.  

Jalen Smith is only 19 years old and currently listed at 225 lbs. It’s much more believable for someone who was underweight and younger to bulk up than a guys in his 30’s who wasn’t underweight to begin with.

Also Davis is the only one throwing out he gained 25 pounds, I haven’t heard anyone on the Orioles confirm what Davis did or didn’t do this past offseason. 

5 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I believe the ban was for an ADHD medicine that he had previously been approved for, that MLB changed their policy.

Are there other signs of Steroid use, like anger management, mood swings, etc?

What exactly did Elias and Sig do in Houston? Please explain.

I didn't write anything about Elias, Sig, and Houston. 

Ok I can actually add to this , is it suspicious that he gained 25 lbs or 25 lbs of muscle. First it states he gained 25 lbs it does not say 100 % of that is all muscle and what he has done is entirely possible without the use of hormone enhancement. I would agree that gaining 25 lbs of lean muscle mass over a 4 or 5 month period would be impossible without an abundance of testosterone however I'm sure the 25 lbs gained is not 100 % lean muscle mass but probably a combination of fat and muscle. In addition to this there is a thing called muscle memory , not just the kind that keeps you from having to  relearn how to walk, run, hit throw everyday but the muscle does remember the work load it once did it terms of strength and size . If you are a advanced lifter and have gained muscle mass of (x ) amount over the years and lets say you get in a car accident and cant lift for a 5 or six month period and loose a percentage of lean mass that same lifter will find there way back to that same condition faster than it took them to gain that lean mass in the first place .   Im a lifter and I dont know all the physiological terms to this but it is a real thing .  That being said , I played ball too , the strength an size helps but weakness is not Chris Davis's issue Im pretty sure its a combination of loss of confidence and declining ability mixed with an unwillingness to change approach, he still swings that telephone pole of a bat. Im bewildered as to why a lighter bat would not help with "letting the ball travel" , i think Barry Bonds used a 32" bat and choked up an inch,  he looked pretty strong to me . 

12 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Your right, and my apologies for my misreading of your post.

No problem. And I wasn't trying to drag Davis through the mud with the PED suspension joke. I certainly hope he didn't take anything prohibited, but the probability is not zero. We've certainly seen many, many examples of players taking prohibited shortcuts. Hopefully no one on the Orioles gets a PED suspension and I would say I especially wish that for Davis. He's caught plenty of grief as is.  

3 hours ago, jarman86 said:

First portion, yes they do.  Mens health article includes several PHd and researchers, bodybuilding.com references a few, including one you mentioned, and Mens journal.  

Secondly, if you post quotes, you should post the following to that, the author's note "Keep in mind that high-level athletes are the subjects of these studies."  Which another article I don't remember states muscle growth decreases as you progress.  

As we have all noted, Davis has dropped in size since 2017.  He was lazy, cashed it in.  As the workoutroutine article states it is easy to regrow muscle from memory/regrowth.  Seriously, you aren't reading, you cherry pick, and you still have yet to provide anything other than your observations at a regular gym to provide a counterargument, so until you provide something substantive, we are done.

They don’t include specific scientific studies. Even the guy I quoted is involved in a multi level marketing diet scam.  

Just now, MongoBoy said:

All this means is that Davis will now be able to break a bat across his abdomen instead of his quad when he strikes out looking in his fourth straight at-bat.  That is, assuming, he also worked on his lats. 

Maybe Davis should go up there without a bat. That might confuse the pitchers. As he doesn’t hit the balls in over 51 percent of his at bats does he really need a bat?