Ryan Mountcastle 2020

Frobby

7 minutes ago, Philip said:

Meh...If he can hit, I will shut up about his awful defense.

Did you read this part about his offseason?   From his trainer at a place called Baseball Rebellion.   

“On the long days of defense, we were going third to second to first to left just in case — just the defensive side when we would do it was taking the kid an hour and a half a day, before we even hit,” Goodwin said. “And that didn’t include what he was doing in the weight room. He was putting in extremely long days to try to get himself the best shot to go in.”

Mountcastle wasn’t going to let his search for a position be an excuse not to call him up anymore, and resolved to improve his throwing arm. Even as he’s grown into, physically, what teammate Austin Hays calls “a donkey,” Mountcastle got faster to aid his recent transition to the outfield.

“He said, ‘This is what they’re saying I can’t do. I’m going to go prove people wrong.’ ” Goodwin said. “You start to see the character of a person when people start telling you the things you need to improve on.”

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Did you read this part about his offseason?   From his trainer at a place called Baseball Rebellion.   

It sounds like you’re suggesting that I should give him credit for his hard work. Every would be athlete put in lots of hours, he’s only doing what everybody else does.Even the hardest work is wasted if it doesn’t show results. And results is what we want. If his defense is acceptable, absolutely, I’ll be the loudest guy cheering. If his defense is not acceptable, but his hitting makes up for it, I won’t cheer any less. And I am happy to see what happens.

14 minutes ago, Philip said:

It sounds like you’re suggesting that I should give him credit for his hard work. Every would be athlete put in lots of hours, he’s only doing what everybody else does.Even the hardest work is wasted if it doesn’t show results. And results is what we want. If his defense is acceptable, absolutely, I’ll be the loudest guy cheering. If his defense is not acceptable, but his hitting makes up for it, I won’t cheer any less. And I am happy to see what happens.

He was compensation for Nelson Cruz. Who lost a World Series on HIS defense. 

21 minutes ago, Philip said:

I wish that were the case but it's not always true. More and more young guys are going to these performance centers now, but they are pricey. Also, it sounds like he is really working on the defense which shows that he understand what he needs to improve upon.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, weams said:

He was compensation for Nelson Cruz. Who lost a World Series on HIS defense. 

That World Series can be blamed squarely on Ron Washington. When you’ve got a bad defender, the manager is supposed to know that he’s a bad defender and put in Endy Chavez as a defensive replacement… But nooooo

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I wish that were the case but it's not always true. More and more young guys are going to these performance centers now, but they are pricey. Also, it sounds like he is really working on the defense which shows that he understand what he needs to improve upon.

I’m happy to give him credit for the work he’s doing, but at the same time work without results is wasted. And even though it sounds like I’m really down on him, I’m really not. I want him to do well and be a success, and if his defense isn’t outstanding, well, we can live with that. What I don’t want is Mark Trumbo Putting up the worst 47 home run season in history, because his defense was… That… Bad