Davis. What do you see different with him?

BamaOsFan

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Exactly. A Davis K should be close to a coin flip. Something must be up if you're coming up heads 18 out of 20.

I would have bet on that he's facing guys that aren't going to go north with their teams, but Frobby had that info earlier, he's actually faced some good competition.

If you look at the game logs last year for Davis, they're really ugly from a strikeout perspective.  I mean, they're really ugly in every perspective but I saw a 7 game stretch where he struck out at LEAST twice a game.  

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

So its all smoke and mirrors then. Guess im not surprised.

Weams isn't basing any of that on anything but his eyes. Use your own eyes to determine your own opinion. We don't have access to EV data for spring games.

I see harder contact, swinging at the right pitches, actually fouling pitches off, easy opposite field power, walks that look more earned than lucky, and less Ks. Will it mean anything in the regular season? There's really no way to know. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Weams isn't basing any of that on anything but his eyes. Use your own eyes to determine your own opinion. We don't have access to EV data for spring games.

I see harder contact, swinging at the right pitches, actually fouling pitches off, easy opposite field power, walks that look more earned than lucky, and less Ks. Will it mean anything in the regular season? There's really no way to know. 

I haven't watched any ST games, so im going solely off of Weams...but I do trust his take on Davis. 

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I would have bet on that he's facing guys that aren't going to go north with their teams, but Frobby had that info earlier, he's actually faced some good competition.

If you look at the game logs last year for Davis, they're really ugly from a strikeout perspective.  I mean, they're really ugly in every perspective but I saw a 7 game stretch where he struck out at LEAST twice a game.  

He has faced good competition compared to most other hitters in spring training, but he’s still only seen major league pitching maybe half the time or less.    However all three of his homers have come against pitchers who have pitched in the majors (Trevor Richards, Chris Stratton and Steven Tarpley).

Davis did have a stretch last August where he only struck out once in 17 at bats.    So, 2 out of 20 doesn’t prove too much to me.   Let’s not forget that even in his very best seasons, Davis was striking out close to 30% of the time.    He will have his strikeouts and cold streaks no matter what happens this spring.    It’s really more a matter of what kind of damage he can do when he’s hot, and how often it happens.    Last 2-3 years the answer was not that much and not very often.   

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I haven't watched any ST games, so im going solely off of Weams...but I do trust his take on Davis. 

He has to 1) be capable of judging bat speed and exit velocity based only on his eyes, and 2) be capable of comparing that to his memory of what Davis's bat speed and exit velocity looked like back when Davis was good, so at least 3 years ago, depending on what he meant by good. 

I am confident that weams fully believes what he's saying, but I'm not buying that he's that skilled, no offense intended. Unless he's just saying "Davis doesn't look as good as 2013 Davis," and that more general type of statement I could buy.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, makoman said:

He has to 1) be capable of judging bat speed and exit velocity based only on his eyes, and 2) be capable of comparing that to his memory of what Davis's bat speed and exit velocity looked like back when Davis was good, so at least 3 years ago, depending on what he meant by good. 

I am confident that weams fully believes what he's saying, but I'm not buying that he's that skilled, no offense intended. Unless he's just saying "Davis doesn't look as good as 2013 Davis," and that more general type of statement I could buy.

Yeah, well I prefer the 2013 Davis over last years edition. If Weams is saying his bat looks slow (admittedly it kind of always did) then I'll take his word for it. We'll all be finding out in April. When exit velocity and launch angle will tell the tale