Adley so far: 0-8, 1 walk, 5 Ks

interloper

I'm no scout to see holes in his swing or anything like that. One thing I have noticed is he's gotten called strike 3 several times on very questionable pitches. I think there's a little umpire hazing going on, noticed it for years, on high profile draft picks. I remember they were very tough on Manny when he first came up.

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

None from me. He was drafted to be an impact hitting catcher, if he's not dominating A-ball pitchers at 22-years old I'm going to have concerns that his bat may not play the way the Orioles thought. 

That's fair enough. Hopefully he hits. I was torn on who I wanted the Orioles to pick. Rutschman or Vaughn.  A bust #1 overall pick would be devastating to the rebuild.

1 minute ago, scOtt said:

I'm no scout to see holes in his swing or anything like that. One thing I have noticed is he's gotten called strike 3 several times on very questionable pitches. I think there's a little umpire hazing going on, noticed it for years, on high profile draft picks. I remember they were very tough on Manny when he first came up.

Guess they aren't hazing Vaughn or any other top ten pick last year who basically all out performed Rutschman in their pro debuts. I'm not picking on him, but I'm not going to make excuses for him. Go out and perform young man. The other top ten guys last year certainly did, so if he's healthy, and there is no reason to suggest that he's not, he needs to get off to a good start wherever he starts off and that should be no lower than High-A.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

That's fair enough. Hopefully he hits. I was torn on who I wanted the Orioles to pick. Rutschman or Vaughn.  A bust #1 overall pick would be devastating to the rebuild.

Even if he doesn't hit his glove should be good enough to keep him out of the bust category.

2 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Certainly way too early to start saying bust or really being concerned, but his start has not been what was hope. Hopefully next year this time we will have no concerns.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Guess they aren't hazing Vaughn or any other top ten pick last year who basically all out performed Rutschman in their pro debuts. I'm not picking on him, but I'm not going to make excuses for him. Go out and perform young man. The other top ten guys last year certainly did, so if he's healthy, and there is no reason to suggest that he's not, he needs to get off to a good start wherever he starts off and that should be no lower than High-A.

I wouldn't say the #2 overall pick performed, his OPS was over a 100 points lower than Adley's.

Well, consider this. He was blasting away against the highest level of college competition. He was using a wooden bat right? The balls are different in college I guess, does that make a difference,?

So how does the level of competition he was facing, say, in the College World Series, comparing to the pitchers he is facing right now? What is the best best of college equal to? vs A and AA guys?

I don’t think Chris Davis is back from the dead because he’s hit a little bit, and I’m not going to be worried about Adley for a while yet.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wouldn't say the #2 overall pick performed, his OPS was over a 100 points lower than Adley's.

I knew somebody would call me on that but I didn't feel like saying everyone but Witt. Witt didn't alleviate any concerns by some scouts that he hit tool may not be very high. It's early on all these guys and we have lots of stories of players like Chipper Jones and Derek Jeter doing poorly as 18-year olds in rookie leagues, but College players should not have those same problems, at least not the ones drafted to be impact guys. 

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

Well, consider this. He was blasting away against the highest level of college competition. He was using a wooden bat right? The balls are different in college I guess, does that make a difference,?

So how does the level of competition he was facing, say, in the College World Series, comparing to the pitchers he is facing right now? What is the best best of college equal to? vs A and AA guys?

I don’t think Chris Davis is back from the dead because he’s hit a little bit, and I’m not going to be worried about Adley for a while yet.

He was using an aluminum bat in college. The talent level of major Div I players runs the gamut between A-Ball players to players who will never be pros, with most of them being non professional level. 

Like I said, you shouldn't worry....yet. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

He was using an aluminum bat in college. The talent level of major Div I players runs the gamut between A-Ball players to players who will never be pros, with most of them being non professional level. 

Well, would you rather have Witt?

Edit: I see you’ve already addressed this question so ignore this commenr.

Edited by Philip

34 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The aluminum bat makes a huge difference, but that would have been taken into account when making the choice, right?