MLB suspended, Opening Day delayed indefinitely UPDATED

interloper

7 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The whole world is using this, even before the US had, and yet they take time to throw a dig at Trump.

I think its interesting they are placing blame for the death on the drug, and claim the people would have recovered better without the drug.

Did you read the Washington time artice? Over 6K doctors surveyed and they were agreement that hydroxychloroquine and zpack was so far the best combination of drugs to fight the virus?

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

NY and Washington State area  are doing thousands of  clinical trails of patients. They were supposed to have some preliminary data out the beginning of the week but maybe getting the data together,at least for NY. I know NIH is not recommending it or Remdesivir till more data comes in. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachelsandler/2020/04/21/nih-panel-recommends-against-using-drug-combination-touted-by-trump-outside-clinical-trials/#5761efcb4b40

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/maryland/articles/2020-04-22/johns-hopkins-cuts-pay-warns-of-layoffs-in-wake-of-virus

Johns Hopkins University is cutting salaries, laying people off and not contributing to employees retirement programs for the next year.

I am not sure why this is happening as shouldn't they already received tuition for the year?

10 minutes ago, atomic said:

Seems like that government in New Jersey at least is purposely under reporting COVID-19 deaths:

https://www.salon.com/2020/04/21/can-official-covid-19-death-numbers-be-trusted-funeral-directors-say-no-_partner/

Salon, wow, reliable news source.

Considering New Jersey has one of higher death rates in the US, do you honestly believe this report?

10 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Considering New Jersey has one of higher death rates in the US, do you honestly believe this report?

If we did not know about these Covid-19  deaths till yesterday,who knows how many were reported as the flu. Probably never know totally. Most pandemics have wide death ranges. 50 to 100 million in 1917-8 flu. 1957 -1958 Asian flu between 1 and 2 million. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/494042-first-us-coronavirus-death-occurred-in-california-in-february-autopsy

19 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I believe reports that the drug has never been used for this purpose before and essentially all of the data about its effectivity up to very recently has been anecdotal.  Anecdotal evidence leads us down paths like clutch hitting is both real and very significant, pitcher wins are a better measure than ERA, complete games are very important to winning teams, swinging for the fences only leads to a lot of flyouts, etc, etc, etc.  Or that vaccines cause a 2nd evil head to grow on your shoulder.

If you use a drug that has no impact on a certain illness, some people will get better and they will correlate the two events even though one had no impact on the other.  If you give people who have COVID sugar pills, or Snickers Bars, or coconut cake the vast majority of them will get better.

I'm glad you got better, but I think there is scant evidence that this drug had anything to do with it.  Or even if it did, that it would make medical and scientific sense for most people.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Uh, so any update on when MLB could start?

Who needs MLB when you can stream CPBL games on the Eleven Sports Network from Taiwan?  They have cheerleaders, giant Monkey mascots, and cardboard fans!  Gary Roenicke's kid Josh is on the Uni-President 7-Eleven Lions.  I say we adopt them as our own.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I believe reports that the drug has never been used for this purpose before and essentially all of the data about its effectivity up to very recently has been anecdotal.  Anecdotal evidence leads us down paths like clutch hitting is both real and very significant, pitcher wins are a better measure than ERA, complete games are very important to winning teams, swinging for the fences only leads to a lot of flyouts, etc, etc, etc.

If you use a drug that has no impact on a certain illness, some people will get better and they will correlate the two events even though one had no impact on the other.  If you give people who have COVID sugar pills, or Snickers Bars, or coconut cake the vast majority of them will get better.

I'm glad you got better, but I think there is scant evidence that this drug had anything to do with it.  Or even if it did, that it would make medical and scientific sense for most people.

Thanks, and I appreciate being better, and I apologize if this hits close to home for me but it does.

Scant evidence.

6K  doctors worldwide sampled in the survey, and reported using it and it was their best combination of drugs, they found to work. Thats not anecdotal

I was taken to the ER by ambulance and feeling the worse, could barely walk or function.

Several hours later, I was actually up and about and while extremely tired, I was functioning on my own in ICU.

No GD sugar pill or snickers bar is going to do that.

So lets sit back and give people candy and just let them die.

So far, way too many people have lost their lives to this damn virus

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

6K  doctors worldwide sampled in the survey, and reported using it and it was their best combination of drugs, they found to work. Thats not anecdotal

I was taken to the ER by ambulance and feeling the worse, could barely walk or function.

Several hours later, I was actually up and about and while extremely tired, I was functioning on my own in ICU.

No GD sugar pill or snickers bar is going to do that.

So lets sit back and give people candy and just let them die.

So far, way too many people have lost their lives to this damn virus

Of course it's anecdotal.  Anecdotal means based on personal accounts rather than research.  Those 6000 doctors formed opinions based on ad hoc trials and third-hand conversations and casual observation.  They were not doing double-blind studies, or anything like that.  They gave it to some people and some of them got better.  If they gave them pumpkin pie, some of them would have gotten better.

Could the drug have been what made you feel better?  Sure.  Could you have gotten better because of some other cause like IV fluids or your own immune response?  Sure. 

This is why you do the science. 

27 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Seems  mo

35 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

The whole world is using this, even before the US had, and yet they take time to throw a dig at Trump.

I think its interesting they are placing blame for the death on the drug, and claim the people would have recovered better without the drug.

Did you read the Washington time artice? Over 6K doctors surveyed and they were agreement that hydroxychloroquine and zpack was so far the best combination of drugs to fight the virus?

I am not sure why you aren't getting warnings about politics.  Please stop making a scientific discussion about the effectiveness of a medicine about politics.  You can use anecdotal evidence and declare drugs are effective. 

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Of course it's anecdotal.  Anecdotal means based on personal accounts rather than research.  Those 6000 doctors formed opinions based on ad hoc trials and third-hand conversations and casual observation.  They were not doing double-blind studies, or anything like that.  They gave it to some people and some of them got better.  If they gave them pumpkin pie, some of them would have gotten better.

Could the drug have been what made you feel better?  Sure.  Could you have gotten better because of some other cause like IV fluids or your own immune response?  Sure. 

This is why you do the science. 

Also a drug could make 5 people better and 50 people no change and 40 people worse.  One person getting better after anything is not proof that it should be used widespread. 

On 4/21/2020 at 2:11 PM, Going Underground said:

So you are saying perhaps it might not be a good thing to solve major family issues ,spliced down to an hour?

Who knew , I  thought everything could get solved in an hour.

Unless it's a game between the Red Sux and Stankees.  Those games aren't decided until hour number 4.  And that's only because commercials are dragged out.

• Upvote 1