How much would you pay to have 81 Orioles games to watch on TV this year (read the hypothetical below)?

Frobby

How much would you pay to watch 81 Orioles games this year  

19 members have voted

1. 1. How much would you pay to watch 81 Orioles games on TV this year?

• $25 or less
    • No more than $50
    • No more than $100
    • No more than $200
    • I’d gladly pay $200+

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/09/20 at 04:00

23 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

This is one of the most bizarre statements I've ever seen. Why even be a fan of sports, if everybody on the team must fit your perfect ideal for a ballplayer or you refuse to root for them? Nobody's saying you have to think they're great players, but you're saying you literally aren't pulling for them to succeed.

Whatever most if the people on here last year were rooting for the Orioles to finish worse than the Tigers. I can root for whom I want. I didn’t watch many games last year because every time I turned the game on players were throwing to the wrong base or making boneheaded base running mistakes or not covering the bag on steals or countless other plays a well coached high school team wouldn’t make. 

I don’t have to root for a team that is built to lose.  I rooted for Villar, Alberto, Bundy and Cashner. I had a hard time rooting for Mancini as he is such a bad outfielder but I came to realize it isn’t his fault he is played out of position. 

Bizarre? Did you see how empty the stands were last season? Did you notice how empty the game threads on here were?   I was a season ticket holder when they had good pl Ayers but I am not going to pay to watch a team that gives up double digit runs as a common occurrence and doesn’t know fundamentals.  And is devoid of any prospects.

52 minutes ago, atomic said:

Whatever most if the people on here last year were rooting for the Orioles to finish worse than the Tigers. I can root for whom I want. I didn’t watch many games last year because every time I turned the game on players were throwing to the wrong base or making boneheaded base running mistakes or not covering the bag on steals or countless other plays a well coached high school team wouldn’t make. 

I don’t have to root for a team that is built to lose.  I rooted for Villar, Alberto, Bundy and Cashner. I had a hard time rooting for Mancini as he is such a bad outfielder but I came to realize it isn’t his fault he is played out of position. 

Bizarre? Did you see how empty the stands were last season? Did you notice how empty the game threads on here were?   I was a season ticket holder when they had good pl Ayers but I am not going to pay to watch a team that gives up double digit runs as a common occurrence and doesn’t know fundamentals.  And is devoid of any prospects.

That's understandable.  A lot of people go fishing or root for the Nats or watch reruns of TJ Hooker when the team isn't doing well and come back when they're really good.  Takes a lot to stick with a team through thick and thin.

22 hours ago, atomic said:

Lucky for you we traded Villar, so maybe this will be somewhat reduced this year.

I like watching everyone that puts on an Oriole uniform, even the most flawed players.  There is always something there that's intriguing, these guys are some of the most talented to ever play the sport.  Do I think Stevie Wilkerson is an everyday ML player? Absolutely not, but I can find admirable qualities there.  I can't wait for them to be back and to cheer them on again, warts and all.  

• Thanks 1

On 5/10/2020 at 10:01 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

I guess I'd pay $50 or something.

It is funny that all of us who have cable are still paying our $5 or whatever monthly MASN fee.  MASN without the Nats and Orioles is just an endless stream of infomercials and random reruns of supposedly classic games.  There can't be more than a few dozen people watching the channel at any given moment.  They have to be pulling in huge profits.  Millions of mandatory subscription fees, and no game day expenses.  I'm guessing they locked in advertising contracts months or years ago.

Mitch Hedberg joke:

”I was watching a game on ESPN Classic and some guy hit a foul ball.   

“CLASSIC!”

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Big Mac said:

Lucky for you we traded Villar, so maybe this will be somewhat reduced this year.

I like watching everyone that puts on an Oriole uniform, even the most flawed players.  There is always something there that's intriguing, these guys are some of the most talented to ever play the sport.  Do I think Stevie Wilkerson is an everyday ML player? Absolutely not, but I can find admirable qualities there.  I can't wait for them to be back and to cheer them on again, warts and all.  

Every team has flawed players.  The dynastic 1990s Yanks had Luis Sojo getting multiple rings for basically being Stevie Wilkerson.  Bob Johnson had a .544 OPS for the '66 Orioles.  The 1983 Orioles had Todd Cruz hitting .208.  Rocky Coppinger had a 5.18 ERA for the '96 Orioles.  When bad players are on good teams they become fan favorites, cult heroes.  The current Orioles just have a few more of them.

15 hours ago, Big Mac said:

So, Wilkerson gets a pass, but Villar was a bonehead on the base paths and often throws to the wrong base on defense? 

Villar had an OPS of .792 and was below average at both 2B and SS, but he’s capable (-7 and -4 at 2B and SS respectfully) of playing both. 

On a non-contending team he was hardly the problem.

8 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

So, Wilkerson gets a pass, but Villar was a bonehead on the base paths and often throws to the wrong base on defense? 

Villar had an OPS of .792 and was below average at both 2B and SS, but he’s capable (-7 and -4 at 2B and SS respectfully) of playing both. 

On a non-contending team he was hardly the problem.

That was not really the point I was trying to make.  I generally enjoyed watching Villar. 

• Upvote 1

Let's say $100. But, there is an unusual caveat. If I am staying at home most days, then I am looking for baseball games in the afternoon. The game should be played anyway in the sun, as the gods intended. For night games in empty stadia, let's say $50. Although the team has major flaws,, the GM is working to create a respectable one. It'll be fun to follow the young players and enjoy their development, sometimes postive and often a step back. Might even be fun to see Chris Davis at bat, if spring training was a harbinger of a miraculous comeback.