Eric Davis

weams

I'll never forget one AB of ED's. It was in Detroit, old Tiger stadium. They had brought in a reliever throwing 101 or 102. ED swung kind of feebly at the first two pitches, way late. He timed the 3rd one perfectly, DESTROYED it to LF. Fastest I've ever seen a ball get out of the stadium.Line drive that almost hit the facade of the upper deck.

• Like 1

IMO, Eric Davis is the greatest "What if" player in MLB history.  Certainly in the past 40 years.  More so than Josh Hamilton, Darryl or Doc.

OK, we've waited long enough. Do you want to see the 162-game numbers for Davis, starting June 11, 1986 and ending July 4, 1987? Get ready for it, because it will not disappoint:
Davis played in 162 games, starting 152. He got 659 plate appearances. It is basically a full year.
Over that stretch, Davis hit .308/.406/.622 with 47 homers, 149 runs, 123 RBIs and 98 stolen bases (getting caught just 12 times).
In the equivalent of one year of baseball, Davis just about had a 50-100 … 50 homers and 100 stolen bases. It's almost laughable. It looks like a baseball video game on cheat mode. You can look and look through the history of baseball. You will not find anything quite like that.

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/eric-davis-put-up-video-game-stats-for-reds-c279109048

He was so damn good when he was here.  And still a blast to watch.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, scOtt said:

I'll never forget one AB of ED's. It was in Detroit, old Tiger stadium. They had brought in a reliever throwing 101 or 102. ED swung kind of feebly at the first two pitches, way late. He timed the 3rd one perfectly, DESTROYED it to LF. Fastest I've ever seen a ball get out of the stadium.Line drive that almost hit the facade of the upper deck.

I remember that hit!  Think it was 1998.  I have been looking for it on youtube for awhile.  The sound off the bat was the loudest I have ever heard. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

I remember that hit!  Think it was 1998.  I have been looking for it on youtube for awhile.  The sound off the bat was the loudest I have ever heard. 

Looks like it was July 30, 1998, off Matt Anderson. I can't find a video, but here's a recap of the game: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/davis-leads-orioles-past-tigers/

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

Looks like it was July 30, 1998, off Matt Anderson. I can't find a video, but here's a recap of the game: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/davis-leads-orioles-past-tigers/

"I don't know where it was," Davis said of Anderson's near-100 mph fastball. "I was just swinging."

That's ridiculous.  He made it sound like he'd already made up his mind to swing in a certain area and just happened to run into the fastball.  

Maybe that's true and if it is...wow.