Where do Kjerstad/Westburg fit on the 2023/24 team

wildcard

3 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Why is everyone so down on Grenier?  I was suprised to see that after one season in the minor leagues in an organization we know can make players make some pretty major adjustments.

Looking at his stats for the first time I see some decent things going on there.  Some power, lots of walks.

I don't think he can hit and I'm not sure he can play short in the majors.

17 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Why is everyone so down on Grenier?  I was suprised to see that after one season in the minor leagues in an organization we know can make players make some pretty major adjustments.

Looking at his stats for the first time I see some decent things going on there.  Some power, lots of walks.

I agree. Wasn't a great pick.  But he has a plus glove and his flashing some OBP skills.  They said they were going to reinvent his swing and last year was his first full year in the system.   If he can develop into a .260/.350/.750 guy with a plus glove, he's Jose Iglesias

• Upvote 1

I think Rylan Bannon has a decent chance to be penciled in at 2nd then people are giving him.  He has shown a bit of pop in the bat and the defense is decent from reports.  I would think that a group of Bannon, Hall, Martin and Westburger could get you enough up the middle if you have bats at other positions.  

5 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I agree. Wasn't a great pick.  But he has a plus glove and his flashing some OBP skills.  They said they were going to reinvent his swing and last year was his first full year in the system.   If he can develop into a .260/.350/.750 guy with a plus glove, he's Jose Iglesias

Jose Iglesias was in the majors at 21.

At 22 Grenier split time between A and A+ ball.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Jose Iglesias was in the majors at 21.

At 22 Grenier split time between A and A+ ball.

Iglesias also was playing professionally at 16 years of age.  So he had 5 years of playing professionally under his belt.  I am not sold on Grenier but comparing a guy that had 5 years in professional ball to a guy coming out of college is a huge difference,

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Just where do you think the players are coming from?   There is not much to trade and it takes at least two to three years for even a college player to make it through the minors.     Most of these players are young and still developing.   I agree they will not be the players they are today but I hope they progress.

Look at any four year period of any team in history and more than half the team is likely to have turned over, and many of the guys in year X+4 were not even in the org in year X.

Take... the 1990 Orioles.  How many of them were in the organization in any capacity in 1986?  Of the starting nine, it was Billy, Cal, and Craig Worthington.  Steve Finley and David Segui hadn't been drafted yet.  Tettleton, Bradley, Orsulak, Melvin were trades.  Milligan was a trade.  Sam Horn and Tim Hulett free agents.  Leo Gomez got a few ABs, and was in the low minors in '86.  Bob Milacki and Jeff Ballard were in the minors, almost everyone else acquired by some other means after 1986. 

That's a pretty typical team.  Take the 2010 Orioles.  Nick, Reimold, Bergesen were in the system in '06.  Not much else.

I'm not a betting man, but it's essentially a guarantee that at least 13 of the 2024 Orioles opening day roster spots will be filled by people not currently in the organization.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, bpilktree said:

Iglesias also was playing professionally at 16 years of age.  So he had 5 years of playing professionally under his belt.  I am not sold on Grenier but comparing a guy that had 5 years in professional ball to a guy coming out of college is a huge difference,

I didn't make the comparison.  For a glove first guy age is an extremely important part of Grenier's profile.