Where do Kjerstad/Westburg fit on the 2023/24 team

wildcard

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

We'll see.

Folks thought the same when Hobgood was picked and it turned out they spent a lot that year.

Hobgood was awful ... But there have been 6 allstars from the 1st round of that draft and only Strasburg was selected before the O's chose Hobgood. Either way it was a stupid selection and the nonbaseball professionals here hated the selection as I recall

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Hobgood was awful ... But there have been 6 allstars from the 1st round of that draft and only Strasburg was selected before the O's chose Hobgood. Either way it was a stupid selection and the nonbaseball professionals here hated the selection as I recall

I'm not arguing that Hobgood wasn't awful, go check the draft thread, I was livid.

But the O's did end up spending 8.8M on that draft, which is the point I was making.  Going underslot in round one doesn't necessarily mean that the team is going cheap on the whole draft.

55 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Does anyone think that Luke was heavily involved in scouting these two picks? Im willing to give the FO the benefit seeing as they use the most state of the art methods to scouting amateurs. Obviously they think Kjerstad his a very high ceiling. I'd really like to hear from Luke about this. 

Luke actually retweeted this tweet yesterday:

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not arguing that Hobgood wasn't awful, go check the draft thread, I was livid.

But the O's did end up spending 8.8M on that draft, which is the point I was making.  Going underslot in round one doesn't necessarily mean that the team is going cheap on the whole draft.

This is correct.

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yea, important to nail down exactly what we're talking about. Absolutely nobody is arguing that picking Matt Hobgood was good in hindsight. Doesn't make the strategy itself less viable.

40 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Just looking at the Hobgood draft and their were 13 suplemental picks after round 1 and only 1 player, Boxberger, panned out from that group (has been an allstar). I'd be willing to bet the results are similar year over year.

47 minutes ago, Spl51 said:

Luke actually retweeted this tweet yesterday:

I saw that tweet but im not sure how that exit velocity ranks in comparison to the rest of the draft, I suspect it may be 2nd to Tork. Im just hoping they see more tools besides power. Kjerstad did OPS 1.300 in 78 PA's this year, which is an astounding number.  

2 hours ago, weams said:

Elias says Kjerstad is a right fielder. 

Diaz is projected to be the O's right fielder sometime in 2021 or 2022.    Kjerstad probably does not even arrive  in the majors until 2023.   So Kjerstad has to take right field away from Diaz.   Kjerstad is projected to be slower than Diaz with about the same arm.   Good luck to Kjerstad trying to push Diaz out of right.   He is working with a range disadvantage according to current reports.

Kjerstad will have to find a place to play based on his power.   That spot may not be right field if Diaz has already won the job.

4 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Why is everyone so down on Grenier?  I was suprised to see that after one season in the minor leagues in an organization we know can make players make some pretty major adjustments.

Looking at his stats for the first time I see some decent things going on there.  Some power, lots of walks.

He was considered a reach out of the gate, and thus far he's hit .236 in the low minors. If he wants to put himself on the radar of the doubters, he needs to take a huge step in the next year or so.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TommyPickles said:

So no chance of a post-cancer Mancini extension?  I feel like he wants to stay in Baltimore and will be even more of a fan favorite after these next couple of years. He'll be 32 in 2024.

We've no shortage of guys that play his position(s) coming along, and I can't imagine we'll want to extend him into his mid-30s.

23 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Diaz is projected to be the O's right fielder sometime in 2021 or 2022.    Kjerstad probably does not even arrive  in the majors until 2023.   So Kjerstad has to take right field away from Diaz.   Kjerstad is projected to be slower than Diaz with about the same arm.   Good luck to Kjerstad trying to push Diaz out of right.   He is working with a range disadvantage according to current reports.

Kjerstad will have to find a place to play based on his power.   That spot may not be right field if Diaz has already won the job.

I dont dislike Diaz as a prospect, let me say that first. However, you seem to be putting a ton of faith in a player that has shown an inability to stay healthy for a full season.  Let alone put up marginal number since arriving in the MM trade.

Some seem to believe he will perform better when the lights shine on him in the ML.  I would just like to see him perform at AA before I anoint him our starting RF of the future.

28 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Kjerstad will be our Mark Trumbo 2.0...because focusing on limited defensive players with little or no speed has worked out so well for us in the past.