NEW 60 GAME Proposal [Baseball is Back!]

weams

10 off days in 60 games is a lot. They could easily play 70 in the same amount of time by cutting the off days in half and playing a few double headers. Or reduce Spring Training by a few days. 

Players probably don’t consider a 60 game season to be a good faith negotiation. I’d ask for another ten games in exchange for not filing a grievance. 

15 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

10 off days in 60 games is a lot. They could easily play 70 in the same amount of time by cutting the off days in half and playing a few double headers. Or reduce Spring Training by a few days. 

Players probably don’t consider a 60 game season to be a good faith negotiation. I’d ask for another ten games in exchange for not filing a grievance. 

I would think they want some open days in case a few players get it and they have to move players around from where they are doing extended spring training and come up and fill in.

Owners don't want to lose money due to the limited revenue available with no fans buying tickets.

Players Union wants full prorated salaries.

Since the break even appears to be a 50-60 game regular season there is no hurry to get an agreement.  

The real money is in the playoffs if teams can stay healthy enough to play them.   Since the O's will not be part of the playoffs I have no interest in them.

Everything else is window dressing IMO.

• Upvote 1

It will be interesting to see if 16 playoff teams ever gets put down once it is picked up for this emergency.

Curious to see if it will end up as simple as 15 x 4 in your division?  

Assume travel prohibits a balanced schedule, but if there were interdivisional play among AL and NL clubs, I'd be tempted to say at a 60-game season, do it pre-divisional old school and just have a World Series.  The Dodgers would ruin that over 162, but somebody could perhaps keep up for 60.  Give ESPN and/or MLB a national game all September - I'd love to get to see if ratings over 10-14 intense days building up to "The Giants Win The Pennant" could beat Best of 3 and Best of 5 stuff between the Yankees and Rangers.

5 hours ago, LTO's said:

Believe me, it's very obvious you don't like the Orioles. You have a near constant aversion to logic when it comes to your feelings toward the Orioles so there is no pleasing you. Just the other day I saw you admit that paying high dollar free agents like Mike Trout is mostly foolish and not a great way to build a team and in the same breath you spent the past two season complaining every day the Os didn't sign some bum has-been to try to win 70 games. Personally i think your entire persona on this board is an elaborate troll and your steadfast pursuit of being needlessly contrarian is impressive. I mean, if you honestly would rather have non-televised soccer be played in Camden Yards than the Orioles, why are you even here?!

LOL I never said sign high dollar players.  I would like if they made any effort at all instead of putting a team worse than even last years.  We don’t have soccer here.  If it were here I would go to the games.  I go to Ravens games.  I used to go to Capital games but I don’t feel like driving to DC anymore. If we had NBA, NHL, or MLS team I would watch them.  I a, not sure why anyone would be excited about the roster we have,

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Not getting my hopes up that they're getting closer.

With the owners offer I see zero reason for baseball not to happen.  The players want more games because they are desperate for as much money as possible.  They are going to agree to something.

• Upvote 1