Who is your O's left fielder in 2020?

wildcard

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I haven't said that.

I'm eager to see what he can do.

Huh, did I get you mixed up on Mountcastle with someone else? I thought you were the guy that's not excited over Mountcastle. If not, my apologies. 

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Huh, did I get you mixed up on Mountcastle with someone else? I thought you were the guy that's not excited over Mountcastle. If not, my apologies. 

NP,  I've done that a ton.

I wanted him up last September so he could get a taste of ML pitching and get some reps in the outfield.

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

NP,  I've done that a ton.

I wanted him up last September so he could get a taste of ML pitching and get some reps in the outfield.

Last fall while I was saying hold Mountcastle back to get a 7th year,  Corn was saying begin him up in September.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Last fall while I was saying hold Mountcastle back to get a 7th year,  Corn was saying begin him up in September.

Yep.

I will say that his K/BB rates are a point of concern.

I'm hopeful that once he faces ML pitching he will learn what pitches he can't make solid contact with and start taking them.

44 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Toney I am constantly hammering Mountcastle on his defense on the grounds that no one has ever said his defense was good, although people have said it might be playable in left field. Every time I say something, COC snarls About my sources. My source is everybody who has commented on his defense, but I think you were among the people who said that his defense might be acceptable in my field, but the main thing was that We had to get his bat in the field because it’s a good bat.

14 minutes ago, Philip said:

Toney I am constantly hammering Mountcastle on his defense on the grounds that no one has ever said his defense was good, although people have said it might be playable in left field. Every time I say something, COC snarls About my sources. My source is everybody who has commented on his defense, but I think you were among the people who said that his defense might be acceptable in my field, but the main thing was that We had to get his bat in the field because it’s a good bat.

Because you exaggerate.

Here is Luke, who the O's thought enough of to hire.

He’s going to be better than people think in LF

I take that as higher praise than "might be playable".   

To me the spectrum goes average, below average, playable, unplayable.  Your choice of language makes it seem that actual experts think that, at best, he will be not even qualify as below average in left field. 

Edit- Oh wait, I forgot, in your world average defense is barely playable.

Edited by Can_of_corn
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Because you exaggerate.

Here is Luke, who the O's thought enough of to hire.

I take that as higher praise than "might be playable".   

To me the spectrum goes average, below average, playable, unplayable.  Your choice of language makes it seem that actual experts think that, at best, he will be not even qualify as below average in left field. 

Edit- Oh wait, I forgot, in your world average defense is barely playable.

I think we will just have to judge for ourselves when the time finally arrives.    He hasn’t played there much, so there’s very little to go by, even if you are a scout and have watched him a few times.    

When you look at some of the guys we’ve had in the corner OF over the last five years, the bar is not very high.    

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I’m not sure you think about me at all, but I’ve never been on Team Mountcastle and i have some memory of you putting me in my place about my opinion of him.

3 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

It seems that Dwight Smith is redundant and should be released or traded for the PTBNL.  How many players wh0's best position is DH do the O's need?

I second this as of now. He had one of the worst seasons I've seen an O's outfielder have as far as judging a fly ball goes. I'm pretty sure the O's will keep him though. So I hope last season is just an aberration as far as his defense is concerned.

3 minutes ago, OsEatAlEast said:

I second this as of now. He had one of the worst seasons I've seen an O's outfielder have as far as judging a fly ball goes. I'm pretty sure the O's will keep him though. So I hope last season is just an aberration as far as his defense is concerned.

Ohh are we piling on Dwight Smith?  Let me get my shoes.

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Ohh are we piling on Dwight Smith?  Let me get my shoes.

Don't think so!? I'm pretty sure I left room for improvement. I like the guy but he is about everything I've never wanted in an outfielder. He should be strictly a DH on any team serious about it's defense. Unless like I said last year was an aberration.

It doesn't really matter how good or bad Mountcastle is in left.  Its a temporary spot to get him at bats.  The O's will not win anything this year or next.   When Hays, Diaz, Santander and Kjerstad are available they are all better outfielders than Mountcastle.   Mountcastle will move to 1B/DH in due time.

When the O's decide to start Mountcastle's clock is a separate matter.

• Upvote 1