...so what does this mean for our prospects?

Moose Milligan

6 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

All of them!  Because if we don't sign Teixiera Fielder Davis Trumbo Mancini Mountcastle it'll be years, maybe decades, before the O's can find another decent first baseman.

Sorry, having a @JTrea81 flashback.

You have a JTrea flashback and 2 posts down Sports Guy posts. We need a Twlight Zone video Weams. lol

I really don't understand what is so hard about testing these guys and then letting them into whatever development situation is cooked up.  Let them stay at a hotel and get to work the next day.  Many college sports teams have returned to school.

Some guys will test positive and need to be on the sidelines until they recover.

11 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I was among the fans who was really looking forward to this season.  Many people looked at this season as a season where the Orioles were tanking again.

I didn’t view it that way.  I think they tanked in 2019 (which I was ok with) and while they didn’t do a lot to make this team a lot more competitive in 2020, this was a year where we were going to start to see a lot of the young talent come up.

Most of the potential future pieces weren’t ready to be up in 2019 and thus we saw a lot of AAAA cannon fodder.  I don’t think that was going to be the case this year.  I think we were going to have a lot of excitement in the pitching staff and amongst them position players.  They probably wouldn’t have won more than 65 games and likely would still have picked in the top 5 but i also think the team would have gotten better as the year went on and that you would have been looking at a lot of promise going into 2021.

But this has ruined all of that.  We don’t get those guys up here for any kind of a significant sample size.  We don’t get to see Rutschman, Hall and Rodriguez continue to take that step forward.  It’s just really unfortunate for the near future of the team that this happened and it could easily set them back a year or more in their rebuild.

Holy crap... is this your first post since 2011?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hoosiers said:

I really don't understand what is so hard about testing these guys and then letting them into whatever development situation is cooked up.  Let them stay at a hotel and get to work the next day.  Many college sports teams have returned to school.

Some guys will test positive and need to be on the sidelines until they recover.

Gotta wonder if baseball owners are so cheap that they won't pay for this, because I agree - it seems like a simple thing to do.  Put them up at a Red Roof Inn, and test them every other day.    

3 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Gotta wonder if baseball owners are so cheap that they won't pay for this, because I agree - it seems like a simple thing to do.  Put them up at a Red Roof Inn, and test them every other day.    

Let's say each team has 250 minor leaguers.  A discount rate at the Red Roof is $50/player/day. 60 days.  $750k.  Plus the costs of testing every other day.  I'm sure someone will quibble with those numbers, but that's probably a good part of why they're not doing that.  Currently they don't pay anything for minor leaguers' housing.

9 hours ago, hoosiers said:

The problem is that you are able to spread the virus up to 14 days before you have any symptoms. That is why this pandemic has been so difficult to manage. A vaccine is needed to clear it out of society.

13 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I was among the fans who was really looking forward to this season.  Many people looked at this season as a season where the Orioles were tanking again.

I didn’t view it that way.  I think they tanked in 2019 (which I was ok with) and while they didn’t do a lot to make this team a lot more competitive in 2020, this was a year where we were going to start to see a lot of the young talent come up.

Most of the potential future pieces weren’t ready to be up in 2019 and thus we saw a lot of AAAA cannon fodder.  I don’t think that was going to be the case this year.  I think we were going to have a lot of excitement in the pitching staff and amongst them position players.  They probably wouldn’t have won more than 65 games and likely would still have picked in the top 5 but i also think the team would have gotten better as the year went on and that you would have been looking at a lot of promise going into 2021.

But this has ruined all of that.  We don’t get those guys up here for any kind of a significant sample size.  We don’t get to see Rutschman, Hall and Rodriguez continue to take that step forward.  It’s just really unfortunate for the near future of the team that this happened and it could easily set them back a year or more in their rebuild.

Couldn't help think of this....Im pretty sure this show was on when you last posted.  ?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Let's say each team has 250 minor leaguers.  A discount rate at the Red Roof is $50/player/day. 60 days.  $750k.  Plus the costs of testing every other day.  I'm sure someone will quibble with those numbers, but that's probably a good part of why they're not doing that.  Currently they don't pay anything for minor leaguers' housing.

Heck, just do it for 3 leagues - 100 players on average.  Relatively speaking, that's not a lot of money for them.  They won't need a GoFundMe page to be able to afford it. ?  I'd buy a season ticket for Frederick or Bowie.      

I’m wondering if we could see a different strategy with respect to service time than we usually see.    You’ll have a fair number of players who might have been deemed major league ready by the end of a full season, but they won’t be ready now.     But you could do things like put DL Hall on the 60-man roster and let him pitch 2-3 games towards the end of the season, knowing that in 2021 he’ll be spending at least half the year in the minors so you’re not really messing up his service time.     I think it will be interesting to see if teams do some unconventional things like this, particularly the Orioles, who may as well experiment.    

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m wondering if we could see a different strategy with respect to service time than we usually see.    You’ll have a fair number of players who might have been deemed major league ready by the end of a full season, but they won’t be ready now.     But you could do things like put DL Hall on the 60-man roster and let him pitch 2-3 games towards the end of the season, knowing that in 2021 he’ll be spending at least half the year in the minors so you’re not really messing up his service time.     I think it will be interesting to see if teams do some unconventional things like this, particularly the Orioles, who may as well experiment.    

I was just wondering if they might do this.  They have a some upper level guys who need to play like Akin, Mountcastle, Diaz, Zimmerman, etc.