Nick Markakis Opts Out Of 2020 Season

Number5

It surprised me a little, because Nick's known for his outstanding durability, though I'm certainly not going to knock him for his decision.  It makes for some interesting possibilities for the Braves OF situation.  Do they use both of their 21 year old OF prospects - Pache and Waters.  With Freeman also potentially out and with the NL using the DH for the first time, the Braves might be looking for a 1st baseman/corner OFer type that can hit.    

10 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

It surprised me a little, because Nick's known for his outstanding durability, though I'm certainly not going to knock him for his decision.  It makes for some interesting possibilities for the Braves OF situation.  Do they use both of their 21 year old OF prospects - Pache and Waters.  With Freeman also potentially out and with the NL using the DH for the first time, the Braves might be looking for a 1st baseman/corner OFer type that can hit.    

They have Alonso and Austin Riley as possibilities for first base.

59 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

The Orioles have an entire menu of those.

I am not surprised.    Nick signed with Atlanta for less money than he could have gotten elsewhere two years ago because that’s what his kids wanted him to do.    He’s at a point in his career where he’s financially set, and the happiness of his family is extremely important to him.   This decision might mark the end of his career, as I doubt Atlanta will want him next season with the young outfielders they have, and Nick doesn’t seem that motivated to play for anyone else.     If so, he had a nice run and I’ll be there for sure when he’s inducted into the Orioles HOF.  

1 minute ago, rudyrooster said:

Spotrac estimates that Markakis has made $117.3 million during his career.  Being of "high character", I doubt he has squandered it.

As I mentioned in the other thread he is only going to make $1.5 million this year.  He was playing for fun mostly.