9/4 Player Pool - Lowther added

MurphDogg

48 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Elias read my criticism of the Bundy trade so he's trying to make it look better by putting Bradish on the 60 man.

Mattson is already in the pool so that's two guys from the Bundy deal already on the cusp of the bigs.   What a haul!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Bradish but not Lowther?

I remember hearing an interview with Elias a few weeks ago and he said that Lowther would have been under consideration for the 60 player pool, but he was dealing with an oblique issue, so they wanted to give that time to heal before they considered adding him.  I’m sure whenever he’s deemed healthy, he will be added as long as there’s room still available.

Brian Gonzalez, I honestly didn't know he was still in the org. Good thing Means came out of nowhere or 2014 would be a negative WAR draft, with Hess and Wilkerson bringing down anything Scott accomplishes. I bet there were some mistakes in there, including Bud Norris and Ubaldo. 

On 7/18/2020 at 7:27 AM, Can_of_corn said:

Even if he faces a steep learning curve do you think any damage will be done to his development if he plays this year?  Playing in the majors would have to be better than not playing at all right?  Not like it makes a difference if his struggles hurts the team's chances at winning.

This really needs to be emphasized.  Prospects won't develop if they're not played!   The single most important thing for the O's to do this year is to develop their prospects!   Why are people content with that not happening?  Do they want the O's to stay in last place forever?  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

This really needs to be emphasized.  Prospects won't develop if they're not played!   The single most important thing for the O's to do this year is to develop their prospects!   Why are people content with that not happening?  Do they want the O's to stay in last place forever?  

45 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Running out of room to add Lowther.

As the season goes on I assume some of the older less good players probably will be seen as unnecessary to the front office.

15 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I'm not 100% convinced that getting 3 ABs and 4 chances in the field is necessarily that much better for development than a few hours of intense practice. But I don't know.

ETA: as long as they are facing appropriate competition. If Mountcastle is killing it vs Brian Gonzalez and Eric Hanhold that may not be doing a ton for him, but Gunnar getting swings against Cody Carroll and Dillon Tate might work for him.

20 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Aren't they playing intrasquad games in Bowie? Would a couple intrasquad games a week be that much worse than sitting on the bench with the O's?

47 minutes ago, makoman said:

Good thing Means came out of nowhere or 2014 would be a negative WAR draft, with Hess and Wilkerson bringing down anything Scott accomplishes. I bet there were some mistakes in there, including Bud Norris and Ubaldo. 

A negative WAR draft isn't that shocking when you don't pick until the third round, and 2014 was an historically poor draft class.

Hell the Diamondbacks, Rays (!), Pirates, Rangers, Red Sox had first round picks and all have a negative rWAR draft to date.

The Angels, A's, Cubs, Dodgers, Mets, Nats, and Royals all had negative rWAR drafts to date if you take out their first rounder

The Blue Jays, Braves, Giants, Reds, Royals, Tigers all had less than 1 rWAR drafts to date including their first rounder.

Aaron Nola and Matt Chapman were the best players selected in 2014 by rWAR, and neither has yet reached 20 rWAR. Along with Means, I believe they are the ONLY players drafted that season to make an All Star team, and each has only made one (eyeballing it and clicking on possible candidates, not sure how to look that up for sure).

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, makoman said:

Brian Gonzalez, I honestly didn't know he was still in the org. Good thing Means came out of nowhere or 2014 would be a negative WAR draft, with Hess and Wilkerson bringing down anything Scott accomplishes. I bet there were some mistakes in there, including Bud Norris and Ubaldo. 

Nelson Cruz is in that group also.