9/4 Player Pool - Lowther added

MurphDogg

4 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

It is somewhat of a surprise that they were added before the secondary camp is ready to go. Obviously Mountcastle is being held back for service time related issues. 

I am actually not sure how long he has to be down this year in order to not accrue a full year of service time. I would assume it is pro-rated, with every day on the MLB roster this year counting for 2.7-ish days of service time since the season is 66 days long instead of 180, but I am not sure.

Well they are playing an intrasquad game with one team having Steve Wilkerson as the only OF, patrolling the entire outfield by himself.   With only 2 actual OFs in camp they had to do something.

9 minutes ago, Philip said:

I’ve missed something, did Smith and Santandar go down?

It is all very hush-hush, but they have yet to practice and the team isn't commenting as to why.

An undoubtedly unrelated fact is that the team is not commenting as to whether any individual player has or has not tested positive for the Coronavirus. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

It is all very hush-hush, but they have yet to practice and the team isn't commenting as to why.

An undoubtedly unrelated fact is that the team is not commenting as to whether any individual player has or has not tested positive for the Coronavirus. 

It was like so hush hush
They were so quiet about it
And then the next thing you know

3 hours ago, scOtt said:

I didn't know they counted that by actual days. Instead of game days or games.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Yes they normally count days.  But I would not bet on anything for 2020 until we see it is writing.

I've heard the number for a full year is seven, whether it's games or days I do not know. That is likely a distinction without a difference as far as the Orioles are concerned, as they open with 13 straight days of games.

Its going to be hard not to play these two guys if they show they can hit.   Harder still to send them to the secondary site when they don't have enough outfielders to fill out intrasquad games.

Not having Santander is a big loss.   Hope he can play at some point.

2 hours ago, CarrRun49 said:

Didn't we already know about Mullins last year when he hit .091? Or was it when they sent him to AA that really stood out?

We knew that sometimes prospects slump or get out of whack and need to try to reset things and fix what's wrong.  Mullins isn't the prospect he was a year ago, but he might be salvageable.

Remember when Cal hit .150 through his first 120-odd plate appearances in the majors?

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

We knew that sometimes prospects slump or get out of whack and need to try to reset things and fix what's wrong.  Mullins isn't the prospect he was a year ago, but he might be salvageable.

Remember when Cal hit .150 through his first 120-odd plate appearances in the majors?

He's never passed the eye test for me.

And, no. I don't.  I wasn't born and looking at the stats it was 40 plate appearances in '81. Then batted .264 in '82.

Christian Walker looked promising in the MIL, never did anything in the bigs for the Orioles or the Diamondbacks for 2 years and then at the age of 29, has a very nice season.

His splits are horrendous too.  Should permanently remove his RHB batting helmet from his gear.  But then again, that would take away some of his "value".

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Can probably merge this into the 60 man player pool post soon, but I thought it was newsworthy to merit its own post for a little while so everyone sees it.

The real question is if they have any intention of using them