Mike Yastrzemski

milbest77

13 hours ago, jtschrei said:

Whatever. I meant that he's average at just about everything. Average speed, average bat, average arm. You can play hit and run with him both at the plate and on the bases. He knows how to play the game. Hate if you want, but I think he can help a team in a bunch of different ways. It was always odd to me that Buck could never find a spot for him. Nothing to lose sleep over. No need to be nasty if you were. 

Not an average arm. Not. Can't hit. 

And no, I was not being nasty... I still smart over him having been over evaluated by the past regime. 

On 7/24/2020 at 6:16 AM, Roll Tide said:

I know some folks are hung up over this...But really it’s time to move on!

As the saying goes, there is no use to cry over spilled milk!

This thread should be moved to the MLB Forum, just like all the other threads about ex-Orioles are.  

On 7/24/2020 at 6:58 AM, Moose Milligan said:

Elias chose wrong, and really, how hard could it have been?  Carl Yastrzemski was a better player than Dwight Smith.  So even if you're going off bloodlines, pick the better bloodline.  Sheesh, anyone can be a GM.

@Tony-OH and others in the organization had opinions on Yaz, long before Elias came on board.

We got Weams saying the Orioles over evaluated him.

We got other posters saying Buck and DD never gave him a shot.

I dont think there is a person in OH that could have predicted Yaz's success with the Giants.

I am totally happy for him, and I was strongly pulling for him here, and never thought he would be more than a bench player in the bigs, if at that.

7 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

@Tony-OH and others in the organization had opinions on Yaz, long before Elias came on board.

We got Weams saying the Orioles over evaluated him.

We got other posters saying Buck and DD never gave him a shot.

I dont think there is a person in OH that could have predicted Yaz's success with the Giants.

I am totally happy for him, and I was strongly pulling for him here, and never thought he would be more than a bench player in the bigs, if at that.

I never heard anyone in the organization suggesting he was anything more than a 4th/5th outfield guy. Not a whole lot of guys who make their major leagues debut at 28-years old and then outperform his minor league stats at the major league level. 

• Upvote 2

On 7/31/2020 at 10:26 PM, Tony-OH said:

I never heard anyone in the organization suggesting he was anything more than a 4th/5th outfield guy. Not a whole lot of guys who make their major leagues debut at 28-years old and then outperform his minor league stats at the major league level. 

There have been 88 players in MLB history who were rookies at 27-29, and had at least a 2 WAR season.

35 of them played prior to 1930 when the minors were mostly independent and scouting was primitive, and many, many players didn't get a chance in the majors until relatively late ages.  There were at least a handful like Jackie Robinson who was 27 before he broke the color line.  There are at least half a dozen who came from Japan or Korea after becoming free agents in their late 20s.

There are some players like Lew Ford, Randy Milligan, Davey Lopes, Luke Scott, Freddy Sanchez, Josh Willingham and Don Buford who played well in the minors but just didn't get called up until late for various reasons.  There's Scott Podsednik, Wayne Kirby, and F.P. Santangelo who didn't really hit well in the majors or minors but managed pretty good MLB careers despite that.

But not many who had spotty minor league records, got a late debut, and then out-hit their minor league stats.  Yaz, Melvin Mora, maybe Garrett Jones.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yastrzemski essentially was being taught to be a slap hitter. He doesn't look like a prototypical power hitter at just 5-foot-10 and 178 pounds. When he joined the Giants' organization, however, they let him know right away about his power potential.

"When I got to the Giants, the first thing the hitting coordinator said to me was he loves my swing and thinks I can do a lot of damage," Yastrzemski said. "I was like, 'Man, I haven't heard someone say they love my swing since I was in college. That's awesome.'

"Having that confidence and having him say something like that was so freeing that I was able to trust what I was working on for the past four years on my own with what the Orioles told me I shouldn't be doing."

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/giants/how-carl-yastrzemskis-slight-lie-giants-helped-unleash-mikes-power