Marlins ( and now Phillies) season(s) on pause, O's to host Yankees on Wednesday and Thursday

MurphDogg

18 minutes ago, osfan83 said:

I see a lot of "its just a game" and not worth the risk. I'm not here to debate where to draw the safety line. But it certainly is not just a game. This is as much of a business as the restaurant you go to downtown, The furniture store in the mall or your local plumber. Lots of jobs revolve around the entertainment industry. Restaurants, furniture stores and plumbers are all trying to open and work within safety guidelines the best they can. Your plumber and waitress are asking the same questions, it is worth the risk? 

Everyone has to draw the line for themselves. But make no mistake, MLB is a business, and just like all the other businesses out there, they are trying to find a way to operate, and it would be devastating to any business to just simply shut down for a year. Plus whatever they learn this summer might help them operate in 2021, because there is a chance we might be in the same boat come April.    

Agreed.  Plus, sports bring communities together.  With all of the angst in America right now, one could argue professional sports are more crucial than a single restaurant up the street.  (not that I am advocating shutting any of them down either.  We have been a carry out family to help these places out.)

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

There are going to be some bizarre records too.

Who wins the AL MVP?  I nominate Jose Iglesias

Remember Jose Mesa - Joe Table?  Our Jose is Joe Churches.  #Spanishfordummies

• Upvote 1

I mentioned in the other thread that I would move the florida teams to different locations given the state of the virus in that state.  Heck, if I was commissioner I'd say the Marlins play at the Ironbirds Stadium and Tampa Bay plays in Frederick or Delmarva if necessary. Maryland's done relatively well with corona and it would also limit travel distances for the Eastern divisions. 

But that would require a proactive and Commissioner willing to take a risk, which Manfred is not unless its something dumb like an unnecessary rule change

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

the Phillies are all at risk too. **

I think this is all serious stuff, and players have been too lax in their behavior.  But to my knowledge the virus is much more likely to be passed around within a team versus between teams, ie on chartered flights and in the dugouts and crowded locker rooms. 

The virus doesn't spread from surfaces too badly, especially as compared to as compared to being in close quarters without a mask, and it won't be too bad on the field where there's open air. 

But it only takes one person on a team to catch it for them to spread it across the roster if the team isn't taking enough precautions.  This has to be a wake up call because otherwise this season will be over sooner rather than later.

10 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

I mentioned in the other thread that I would move the florida teams to different locations given the state of the virus in that state.  Heck, if I was commissioner I'd say the Marlins play at the Ironbirds Stadium and Tampa Bay plays in Frederick or Delmarva if necessary. Maryland's done relatively well with corona and it would also limit travel distances for the Eastern divisions. 

But that would require a proactive and Commissioner willing to take a risk, which Manfred is not unless its something dumb like an unnecessary rule change

As an Orioles fan, this would rule.  

But following your logic and being a little more fair to the Marlins, what if they played their home games at Georgia Tech?  That would put them within a few miles of the Braves and make trips easy for teams flying into Atlanta.  Maybe the Rays could take one of our minor league stadiums, or else another large college team in the Atlanta area?  

1 minute ago, Dipper9 said:

As an Orioles fan, this would rule.  

But following your logic and being a little more fair to the Marlins, what if they played their home games at Georgia Tech?  That would put them within a few miles of the Braves and make trips easy for teams flying into Atlanta.  Maybe the Rays could take one of our minor league stadiums, or else another large college team in the Atlanta area?  

That would work too. The point I was trying to make was playing baseball games in the new epicenter of the virus without doing a bubble city like the NBA seemed like asking for trouble. 

It seems like Manfred and the MLB threw this plan together without much thought. 

6 hours ago, esmd said:

So if the season WERE to end from this and the O's don't play any other games.....could the O's declare themselves 2020 AL East Champions?  Asking for a friend.....

My wife told me *the exact same thing* about an hour ago. Cup half full lady, that one. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, esmd said:

So if the season WERE to end from this and the O's don't play any other games.....could the O's declare themselves 2020 AL East Champions?  Asking for a friend.....

Red Sox get 2021 #1 draft pick, followed by Nats and Blue Jays ?

But flags fly forever!

3 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Here's the thing about this Tweet... 

EdRod had his positive test upon reporting to camp, ostensibly he caught COVID was walking around with it prior to organizaed baseball activities. It was caught through MLB testing. In what way would he be better off had he not reported to camp? This is where some of this "how much of this are we willing to accept" logic falls apart, assuming that nobody would be exposed absent a baseball season - and for these athletes many may be worse off due to less monitoring

I think that an assumption is being made that the Covid caused the myocarditis, which is imprudent without some kind of proof. I’m not saying there is no connection, but We shouldn’t have the suggestion without the quote from the Doctor and the medical evidence supporting the claim.

1 hour ago, 25 Nuggets said:

There are going to be some bizarre records too.

Who wins the AL MVP?  I nominate Jose Iglesias

Hyde for AL Manager of the Year!  Mike Elias for Executive of the Year!

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Jeter might want to lawyer up soon. 

The operations manual says that after a player tests positive for COVID-19, the club must conduct contact tracing to identify the individuals who had close contact with the infected individual. The Marlins flew together to Philadelphia from Atlanta, traveled by bus to a Center City hotel, traveled by bus to the ballpark, dressed in the clubhouse, and sat in the dugout.

It could be easily argued that every Marlins player and staff member came in close contact over the weekend with the infected players. If so, the operations manual says those individuals should be quarantined or isolated pending the results of an Expedited Diagnostic Test, which the Marlins received Sunday morning. Instead of quarantining and thus postponing Sunday’s game, the Marlins played a 3-hour, 44-minute game against the Phillies and then learned Monday morning that eight additional players had tested positive.

https://www.inquirer.com/phillies/miami-marlins-coronavirus-outbreak-phillies-mlb-season-20200727.html

It's amazing how competent Jeffrey Loria looks next to Jeter.  

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I doubt there are any greatest minds, in the current MLB front office or Ownership reps, or the players association.

Remember, they couldnt even agree on how to start the season, without a whole lot of drama involved.

One thing we learned from watching Congress, and major-league baseball, is that IQ is not cumulative. The IQ of a table full of 60 IQ guys remains 60. They’re just noisier.