Marlins ( and now Phillies) season(s) on pause, O's to host Yankees on Wednesday and Thursday

MurphDogg

9 minutes ago, Philip said:

I think that an assumption is being made that the Covid caused the myocarditis, which is imprudent without some kind of proof. I’m not saying there is no connection, but We shouldn’t have the suggestion without the quote from the Doctor and the medical evidence supporting the claim.

ERod is a pro athlete in solid shape, 27 years of age, who had no history of any heart issue prior to the present time.  The odds of it being caused by anything else are slim to none.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dipper9 said:

Agreed.  Plus, sports bring communities together.  With all of the angst in America right now, one could argue professional sports are more crucial than a single restaurant up the street.  (not that I am advocating shutting any of them down either.  We have been a carry out family to help these places out.)

These are both very good points, but the fact is that right now the benefit of the business aspect is only to the owners and the players. the minor-league players and the towns that have those teams, aren’t getting anything, the concession workers aren’t getting anything, the local economy isn’t getting anything, The peanut makers and the hotdog sellers are actually having to pay money to destroy product(which I also find appalling) the  only people who are getting anything are the owners and the players.
So in that sense, yes you are correct but it doesn’t apply here. I am very much a laissez-faire guy, but the greed of the owners is appalling.
so your argument fails in this instance.

3 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

ERod is a pro athlete in solid shape, 27 years of age, who had no history of any heart issue prior to the present time.  The odds of it being caused by anything else are slim to none.

Well I don’t want to get contentious, but like I said you and I am not doctors, and we cannot comment on odds because we don’t know so it is not productive to make suggestions otherwise.

As an example, my right collarbone was destroyed in a bicycle accident, and I have recently started suffering nerve numbness and tingling in my right arm. It’s never happened before so I made the assumption that there was some kind of pinched nerve somewhere caused by the lack of collarbone support in my right shoulder. I finally was able to see the neurologist and mentioned the possibility to him and he laughed and said “no there is no connection”

Just today I visited the oncologist and we were looking at my bloodwork and I asked him if my diet could have anything to do with the results and he laughed and said “no there is no connection“

So it is possible that Rodriguez’ problem Is related to Covid, but it is only possible and that’s why we need to wait until the doctors speak up.

9 minutes ago, Philip said:

So it is possible that Rodriguez’ problem Is related to Covid, but it is only possible and that’s why we need to wait until the doctors speak up.

They have.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/red-sox-pitcher-eduardo-rodriguez-confirms-hes-dealing-with-heart-issue-stemming-from-covid-19-infection/

Where do you think he's getting his diagnosis from?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Philip said:

Well I don’t want to get contentious, but like I said you and I am not doctors, and we cannot comment on odds because we don’t know so it is not productive to make suggestions otherwise.

As an example, my right collarbone was destroyed in a bicycle accident, and I have recently started suffering nerve numbness and tingling in my right arm. It’s never happened before so I made the assumption that there was some kind of pinched nerve somewhere caused by the lack of collarbone support in my right shoulder. I finally was able to see the neurologist and mentioned the possibility to him and he laughed and said “no there is no connection”

Just today I visited the oncologist and we were looking at my bloodwork and I asked him if my diet could have anything to do with the results and he laughed and said “no there is no connection“

I would find new doctors if my doctors laughed at me when I asked them questions. 

17 minutes ago, Philip said:

The doctors won’t speak up unless EdRod wants them to.     If I had to guess, there’s a good chance this is connected to his COVID case:

Human coronavirus-associated myocarditis is known, and a number of coronavirus disease 19 (COVID-19)–related myocarditis cases have been reported. The pathophysiology of COVID-19–related myocarditis is thought to be a combination of direct viral injury and cardiac damage due to the host’s immune response. COVID-19 myocarditis diagnosis should be guided by insights from previous coronavirus and other myocarditis experience. The clinical findings include changes in electrocardiogram and cardiac biomarkers, and impaired cardiac function. When cardiac magnetic resonance imaging is not feasible, cardiac computed tomographic angiography with delayed myocardial imaging may serve to exclude significant coronary artery disease and identify myocardial inflammatory patterns. Because many COVID-19 patients have cardiovascular comorbidities, myocardial infarction should be considered. If the diagnosis remains uncertain, an endomyocardial biopsy may help identify active cardiac infection through viral genome amplification and possibly refine the treatment risks of systemic immunosuppression. Arrhythmias are not uncommon in COVID-19 patients, but the pathophysiology is still speculative. Nevertheless, clinicians should be vigilant to provide prompt monitoring and treatment. The long-term impact of COVID-19 myocarditis, including the majority of mild cases, remains unknown.”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7199677/

But I agree with you that we can’t just assume that’s the cause.     In any event, I hope he recovers fully.   

Edit - I wrote this before I saw the CBS Sports article.   

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Sulser for Cy Young? Doesn't often go to a relief pitcher, but his numbers extrapolate to something like 100 innings, 50 SV, 0.00 ERA.

He's got my vote....dude was lights out all year....

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Philip said:

These are both very good points, but the fact is that right now the benefit of the business aspect is only to the owners and the players. the minor-league players and the towns that have those teams, aren’t getting anything, the concession workers aren’t getting anything, the local economy isn’t getting anything, The peanut makers and the hotdog sellers are actually having to pay money to destroy product(which I also find appalling) the  only people who are getting anything are the owners and the players.
So in that sense, yes you are correct but it doesn’t apply here. I am very much a laissez-faire guy, but the greed of the owners is appalling.
so your argument fails in this instance.

Please stop trying to sneak the politics in. The free speech weekend is over. 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, weams said:

Please stop trying to sneak the politics in. The free speech weekend is over. 

I’m not being political at all, I’m just pointing out that the argument that having baseball in these circumstances is good for business is not true that’s not politics, because the issue is not a political issue. It is a comment about economics of baseball in this current situation.

I appreciate that you are one of the bosses, and what you say goes, but no it’s not a political commentary it was just Responding to an incorrect comment.

I just reread my comment, and there was nothing political in it. I was complaining about owner greed, but that’s not political, and it’s certainly not uncommon. If you go back and read the political comments, you will learn again that I’m one of the guys who wants to talk about baseball.
I don’t care about politics, and I said so.
But my comment was not political. You’re the boss, And if you feel that I crossed a line then I’ll do my best to not cross it again, but no, it was not political.

Edited by Philip
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, esmd said:

He's got my vote....dude was lights out all year....

Yep and so glad we rid ourselves of Villar's albatross of a salary @Roll Tide.  Dude hit worse than my freaking avatar this year.  This could be a non sequitur but I just had to troll the 'Bama fan!  ? And I "know" he really wanted this series to go back to non-stop pound us on Villar's greatness!  ⚾

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

I’m not being political at all, I’m just pointing out that the argument that having baseball in these circumstances is good for business is not true that’s not politics, because the issue is not a political issue. It is a comment about economics of baseball in this current situation.

I appreciate that you are one of the bosses, and what you say goes, but no it’s not a political commentary it was just Responding to an incorrect comment.

Well like those Congresspeople you dissed earlier in your non-political commentary, you are getting noisy bro.  ?

• Thanks 1

Ok a little history. Coronaviruses have been around for a fair amount of time. The most recent were 2002-2003 SARS. Then 2009-2010 H1N1. So why the panic now? This one has a far lower fatality rate. And if you don't believe me look it up yourself.