Jorge Lopez for the playoff run

backwardsk

• 4 weeks later...

o

(vs. YANKEES, 9/04) )))))) [GAME ONE]

Lopez threw 5 innings, with 0 earned runs ...... but the defense gave the Yankees 3 runs, anyway.

His strikes-to-balls ratio was awful )(44 )Strikes, )44 )Balls), )but if the guy manages to get the other team to hit the ball at the fielders, you need to make the outs count.

Lopez did throw one wild pitch, and hit one Yankee batter with a pitch.

o

4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

López has great stuff and is young enough if he can put it all together 

So? Maybe true. I’d rather have one of our prospects up. And there’s no reason we can’t have both. Get rid of Phillips. I was going to also mention Hess and Carroll but those guys are already gone, and Phillips should join them on the bus to away-ville.

23 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Big game tonight. Any predictions?  I’m saying 4+ 2ER then we go to the pen. He’ll keep us in the game. 

Just pray he does ok. The people in KC are not stupid and they didn’t give up on him for no reason.

id be overjoyed-and dumbfounded- if he duplicates his last start.

Tonight could be an interesting window into how Hyde/the club will manage SP when wins really matter, as they momentarily do.

Last night we had the blowout where Means could truck on with TTOP safely off the chessboard thanks to the bats.

I think I think the top of the Mets lineup is better than Lopez, even though I am interested in seeing what his career still might become.  But if it is 1-1 in the 4th inning and Davis/Conforto, etc are cycling back around, this is where the orthodoxy of hooking a SP doing okay could come into play.

Bonus wrinkle Wednesday night - 4 game series at NYY on deck.   I'm still not saving anybody for the weekend looking for tonight's win.  Baumann, Hall or Rodriguez can pitch long relief this weekend if need be (even Lowther, Zimmermann, etc. less fancifully).

6 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

He pitched lot better then his line shows.  McNeil who is super hot got the two run homer and then Fry didn’t help him either get the final out in 5th.  

Lots of strikes.  6-3 that gray area between high and low leverage.  It certainly might feel odd after the Chirinos K on 18 to pull him (and of course in history most SP would be irate about a hook two outs shy of that magical 5 IP threshold), but marginal batters faced 19/20/21 put a dent in our win probability, and of course Nimmo/Conforto 1-2 probably more susceptible to LHP in general.

o

93% of the outs that Lopez recorded (13 out of 14) came via the Groundout and the Strikeout. 

The Mets handled Lopez pretty well overall, but he largely made them earn what they got ....... he ceded 1 Walk over 4.67 Innings Pitched, and had an excellent Strikes-to-Balls Ratio )(59)Strikes, )25)Balls.) 

14 OUTS: )  7 Groundouts, 6 Strikeouts, 1 Lineouts

JORGE YABIELOPEZ RAMOS )))))))) (vs. METS, 9/09)

IP:ll.4.67

H:llllll6 ) l(2 Home Runs, 1 Double, 3 Singles)

R:llll 3

BB:ll1

SO:ll6

Pitches: l) 84 )(59)Strikes, )25)Balls)

2020 ERA: l) 6.38 )  24.00 IP  (17 ER) 

2020 WHIP: l)  1.333  )  24.00 IP  (32 H/BB) 

2020 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)  .258  )(24 for 93)   

PITCHES BY INNING  

14  ll(91 llStrikes, l.l.Balls)

20  lll(17 llStrikes, l.llBalls)

14  ll(91 llStrikes, llll.Balls)

19  lll(13 llStrikes, ll6 llBalls)

17  lll(11 llStrikes, ll6 l.Balls) ) *

* )) Lopez recorded 2 Outs before departing in the 5th Inning

o

11 hours ago, bpilktree said:

He pitched lot better then his line shows.  McNeil who is super hot got the two run homer and then Fry didn’t help him either get the final out in 5th.  

He has decent command but I was really unimpressed with his stuff. I agree, McNeil's HR was on a decent pitch low and away. Still I don't see much here. Reminds me of Tyler Wilson, just meh stuff. Throws strikes and consistent, just consistently meh. Seems like a guy that is going to get hit hard against MLB lineups.