Cedric Mullins is on the move

wildcard

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Over the last six games, Mullins has hit .476/.500/.619.

And the Orioles are 0-6, which is probably why I hadn’t noticed.   

Honestly I have no problem with you pointing out his hot streak.   It’s the first time he’s shown signs of a pulse at the major league level  since August 2018.   On Aug. 31 that year, he was hitting .317/.386/.556.   Since then:

.186/.269/.243 in Sept. 2018

.094/.181/.156 in 2019

.077/.200/.077 in his first 10 games this year.

So yeah, the hot streak is refreshing.    Hopefully he can maintain it for a while and show he’s not as bad as he’s looked at times.

But I have to warn you that, even in the minors, Mullins has been prone to some hellacious cold streaks.   Streaks that can last 4-6 weeks where he’s extremely nonproductive.    For that reason, he’s got a lot to prove that even a hot streak of a few weeks (rather than 6 days) won’t accomplish.   

Not saying anything is permanent.   If a player is hot he plays.  If he is not he is a reserve.  Its that simple.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

But I have to warn you that, even in the minors, Mullins has been prone to some hellacious cold streaks.   Streaks that can last 4-6 weeks where he’s extremely nonproductive.    For that reason, he’s got a lot to prove that even a hot streak of a few weeks (rather than 6 days) won’t accomplish.   

He was also prone to some incredible hot streaks.  He was a guy that could raise his season OPS by 150 points over 2 weeks in August.  When he's in the zone and driving the ball he can be a joy to watch.

Was good to see the homer last night, especially from the right side.  A lot of his recent hits have been on doinks and bunts, but I'll certainly take it.  Hope to keep seeing more solid contact from him.

15 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. RED SOX, 8/21)

Mullins hit his 1st home run of the season.

o

o

Also, as frustrated as many of us have been in regard to players on the team lacking baseball instincts, I had to love Mullins' bunt-single to lead off the 9th inning with the team down by 3 runs.

The fact that the bunt was successful was great, but just the fact that he tried it was good to see ...... llBaseball Instincts 101 tells us that if the team is down by 3 runs in the 9th inning, you need to get 2 runners on base to bring the potential tying run to home plate ...... and you can't have 2 base-runners until you have 1 base-runner in the first place.

Baltimore Orioles' Cedric Mullins hits a bunt single against Boston Red Sox starting pitcher Nathan Eovaldi during the second inning of a baseball game, Thursday, Aug. 20, 2020, in Baltimore. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez)

o

2 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

He was also prone to some incredible hot streaks.  He was a guy that could raise his season OPS by 150 points over 2 weeks in August.  When he's in the zone and driving the ball he can be a joy to watch.

Was good to see the homer last night, especially from the right side.  A lot of his recent hits have been on doinks and bunts, but I'll certainly take it.  Hope to keep seeing more solid contact from him.

Yes, and I don’t mean to ignore his hot streaks.    At the end of the day, a player is the sum of his parts.    In the minors, Mullins was a .749 OPS player, though only .670 in AAA and .606 so far in the majors.    To me, that’s a guy you hope can evolve into a .700ish player in the majors, steal some bases and cover a lot of ground in the OF.

For me, 2017 is vintage Mullins.   At Bowie, he had months of 1.090, 756 and 1.042 (12 games due to an injury early in the month), followed by .564 in August and .335 in 4 September games when the season mercifully ended.    All that hot and cold blended for a .778 season.    That’s the kind of streaky player he is.

12 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Also, as frustrated as many of us have been in regard to players on the team lacking baseball instincts, I had to love Mullins' bunt-single to lead off the 9th inning with the team down by 3 runs.

The fact that the bunt was successful was great, but just the fact that he tried it was good to see ...... llBaseball Instincts 101 tells us that if the team is down by 3 runs in the 9th inning, you need to get 2 runners on base to bring the potential tying run to home plate ...... and you can't have 2 base-runners until you have 1 base-runner in the first place.

o

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I really loved his 10th-inning bunt tonight. It was perfectly executed. Hes really a good bunter.

o

2 games in a row, both times late in the game.

o

16 hours ago, eddie83 said:

To be honest like you I’m not convinced Davis will be back this year. 

Hays is healing slowly. I’m hoping he can get back. With Ryan up here  now that would be the best and most entertaining team to put on the field. I don’t know why they would keep Smith once Hays is back but who knows. 

How do we know Hays is healing slowly?  I haven't heard any updates.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Really loved his 10th inning bunt tonight.    Perfectly executed.    He’s really a good bunter.

Like OFFNY says especially with the new extra innings rule, having someone you can actually have confidence in bunting is a big asset.  It's surprising just how many bunt attempts are unsuccessful; and that reinforces the sabermetrician edict never to bunt, because why bother if your chances aren't much better than simply getting a base hit.

o

Speaking of late-game bunting ..... I was lucky enough to be at this game ......

September 28th, 2007: ) The Yankees led us 9-6 going into the bottom of the 9th. They brought in Mariano Rivera in. Game over, right ??? Wrong !!!

We loaded the bases with 2 outs. It looked like curtains, except ......... Jay Payton drilled a bases-clearing triple into the gap in right-centerfield to tie the game !!! ) :eek:

A lot of Yankee fans that were sitting near me were angrily screaming "choke" at their beloved team. ) xD

In the top of the 10th the Yanks hit a lead-off double, and it looked like our storybook ending would go down in flames. Not on this night. We managed to get out of the inning without being scored upon.

In the bottom of the 10th, we again had the bases loaded and 2 outs. On the first pitch Melvin Mora laid down a bunt, taking the Yankees by surprise. Tike Redman raced home, and the Orioles all mobbed each other on the field.

With that win, the Orioles eliminated the Yankees from the A.L. East division title. They still got the wild-card ...... but good enough. ) ;)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL200709280.shtml

o

• weams changed the title to Cedric Mullins is on the move