Some more moves on the horizon?

Sports Guy

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

I think Rutschman is likely ready next summer, but I expect the fact that he would otherwise not have to be added to the 40-man roster that off-season to be an argument raised against his coming up.

Next year will be his age 23 season. If they hold him back until (2 plus weeks into) 2022, they get control of his 2028 season, his age 30 season, which as a catcher would likely be the end of his prime.

Might even hold him back until the projected Super 2 deadline.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Might even hold him back until the projected Super 2 deadline.

Right, which is why I said May-June 2022 may be his target.

I just don't know how much development he is getting at the alternate site this year, it wouldn't surprise me if it was less than if he spent a full normal year at Frederick & Bowie.

I think we will know which way they are leaning next year depending on whether he starts next season at Bowie or Norfolk.

4 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I just don't know how much development he is getting at the alternate site this year, it wouldn't surprise me if it was less than if he spent a full normal year at Frederick & Bowie.

I think we will know which way they are leaning next year depending on whether he starts next season at Bowie or Norfolk.

I'm big in development is overrated camp.  Yes he needs to learn to call games, but by all accounts that shouldn't be an issue for him.  On defense he's ready and his bat is supposed to be advanced.  I have a feeling either he has a flaw in his offense game that will be discovered by ML pitching or he doesn't and time in AA isn't going to change that.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm big in development is overrated camp.  Yes he needs to learn to call games, but by all accounts that shouldn't be an issue for him.  On defense he's ready and his bat is supposed to be advanced.  I have a feeling either he has a flaw in his offense game that will be discovered by ML pitching or he doesn't and time in AA isn't going to change that.

His bat sure didn’t look ready last season.    Yeah, mono, SSS, etc.   I’m not worried about him long term, just saying he still needs to prove he’s ready, not just get it handed to him.    Hopefully the reps he’s getting in Bowie are better than nothing.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

His bat sure didn’t look ready last season.    Yeah, mono, SSS, etc.   I’m not worried about him long term, just saying he still needs to prove he’s ready, not just get it handed to him.    Hopefully the reps he’s getting in Bowie are better than nothing.   

I don't think there are things he can learn about hitting in Bowie that he can't learn in Baltimore.

I also don't buy into the "prove he's ready" camp.  It's just a buzz word that they use to justify their actions.  What is the standard you have to meet to "prove your ready"?  It doesn't exist.

Did Santander prove he was ready last year (726 OPS in Norfolk)?

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think there are things he can learn about hitting in Bowie that he can't learn in Baltimore.

I also don't buy into the "prove he's ready" camp.  It's just a buzz word that they use to justify their actions.  What is the standard you have to meet to "prove your ready"?  It doesn't exist.

Did Santander prove he was ready last year (726 OPS in Norfolk)?

Manny hit 245 with a 692 OPS in Frederick, then went to Bowie and had a 789 OPS. He didn’t prove anything but it was still the right move to bring him up. He developed in the majors while contributing to playoff contenders. 

36 minutes ago, makoman said:

Manny hit 245 with a 692 OPS in Frederick, then went to Bowie and had a 789 OPS. He didn’t prove anything but it was still the right move to bring him up. He developed in the majors while contributing to playoff contenders. 

Schoop had a 697 OPS in Norfolk before they promoted him.  Buy you say, Corn, he also played in the AFL that year, and I'll agree and point to his .594 OPS in a hitters' league.

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Oh boy is the OH meltdown when he starts next year at Frederick (or whatever the equivalent is after MiL contraction) going to be epic.